Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buying A New Used Car Every 1-3 Months Then Flippin Them For What You Paid Or Profit

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-07, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
It is fustrating, I can tell you that... especially you are selling anything over 10K, you have to find people have CASH to make the deal happen...
trust me.
And, by Federal law, any cash sale (even if by check), over $10,000 is reported to law enforcement. This is not something that started with terrorism, the Patriot Act or 9-11; it goes back years before that.

The event that actually started that whole nonsense occurred at a mega-dealer strip-mall just a few miles from my house....in fact, I just missed it; I had test-driven a car earlier there in the day. It was, in some ways, a sting. Undercover police posed as drug dealers and offered to buy new cars right out of the showroom with "drug" money from sales. The salespeople there said they didn't care; just hand over the cash......they were there to sell cars, not be concerned with possibly illegal money and where it went. In a few minutes, FBI agents were all over the place. There were several arrests.....including two service managers. That led, in Congress, to the $10,000 rule....something we're still stuck with today. That doesn't mean that police are going to question every cash sale (I have paid cash for several cars since then and never saw police), but the authorities simply want to know where drug money MAY be going, even with innocent people that just have fat wallets, that's all. It can, in some cases, also be reported to the IRS.....but I don't much of the details on that.
http://aemag.com/current_articles/feature_aug07_01.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-24-07 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-24-07, 10:17 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mom paid more than 10k cash for her Lexus?!?!!
I actually saw the $$ transfer between hands lol...
Old 10-24-07, 10:24 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The salespeople there said they didn't care; just hand over the cash......they were there to sell cars, not be concerned with possibly illegal money and where it went.[/url]
Correct.

It's not a car dealers job to be the police and question where people get their money from.
Old 10-25-07, 06:13 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might be on to something. Should start a company. Maybe call it CarMaximus
Old 10-25-07, 06:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Correct.

It's not a car dealers job to be the police and question where people get their money from.
I wasn't necessarily giving my own opinion here.....just stating what actually happened at the dealership. Apparantly the police and FBI disagreed....the dealership was not actually shut down, but several people there went to prison...including one or two sales managers.

The action was taken because the salespeople were told that the money was illegal.

I only brought this up to explain why all cash sales of over 10K are now reported to the government...the poster who opened the thread mentioned looking for somebody with 10K in cash. But that doesn't mean that he, or me, or anyone else on CL is actually dealing in anything shady.
Old 10-25-07, 07:30 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that's too hasslesome. There are better and easier ways...
Old 10-25-07, 12:57 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And, by Federal law, any cash sale (even if by check), over $10,000 is reported to law enforcement. This is not something that started with terrorism, the Patriot Act or 9-11; it goes back years before that.

The event that actually started that whole nonsense occurred at a mega-dealer strip-mall just a few miles from my house....in fact, I just missed it; I had test-driven a car earlier there in the day. It was, in some ways, a sting. Undercover police posed as drug dealers and offered to buy new cars right out of the showroom with "drug" money from sales. The salespeople there said they didn't care; just hand over the cash......they were there to sell cars, not be concerned with possibly illegal money and where it went. In a few minutes, FBI agents were all over the place. There were several arrests.....including two service managers. That led, in Congress, to the $10,000 rule....something we're still stuck with today. That doesn't mean that police are going to question every cash sale (I have paid cash for several cars since then and never saw police), but the authorities simply want to know where drug money MAY be going, even with innocent people that just have fat wallets, that's all. It can, in some cases, also be reported to the IRS.....but I don't much of the details on that.
http://aemag.com/current_articles/feature_aug07_01.html

Yep, over 10K cash trans are reported. I have done it a lot of times.
Come on, look at my signature, al my Lexus, Bimmers I paid cash.
but hey, they can verify my money any time they want.
Old 10-30-07, 09:51 PM
myronl
Driver School Candidate

Car flipping can be a tricky business. If you can spot the diamonds in the rough, you may have something. But remember, someone actually needs to buy the car from you. Hopefully you've found something that you can make a nice profit on. I recently built a resource so that people (buyers and sellers) could figure out exactly what other people are paying for cars. Check this out:

http://www.pricehub.com

Any feedback (good or bad) is welcome. I really want to bring a little more transparency into the car market.
Old 10-31-07, 02:21 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The most actual cash I paid for a car was $18K. The most wire transfer I paid for a car was $32K which is basically cash. The $32K was private party so that is different, but I'm sure the $18K to the dealer was reported, but I don't care since I have nothing to hide. One major local dealer here did get busted by the Feds for taking $10K+ cash deals on their cars and not reporting it. That dealership which is a new luxury car dear (I wont say which brand) had to pay a hefty fine. Nobody went to jail, but it did cost them. I'm sure they, as well as all the other dealers don't make that same mistake anymore
Old 10-31-07, 06:17 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

i think its a good idea, not to make money, but just to drive different cars. we have an uncle in vegas who does it and for 4 years, he has been able to make 2-3k on each car. he buys porsches, mb's,bmw,lex other high end cars, drives em for 4 months then sells em, but now his home equity is gone well thats what he says. i dont understan that home equity stuff
Old 11-06-07, 11:05 AM
andsimp2
Driver

Not at all.