Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to Fix 600,000 Siennas; Not a Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-07, 01:07 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Warranty enhancement...kind of reminds me of a fish restaurant telling me their fish are freshly frozen (I have heard this more than once in different restaurants).

Warranty enhancement also kind of reminds me of all the little things I do every weekend with my RX300 here and there to keep my little RX maintained out of warranty. I can just imagine my uncle asking me, "Oye Ron, que estas haciendo?" "Tio, un warranty enhancement?" and my uncle replies, "un que????"

Or perhaps warranty enhancement means putting like gold leafing around the warranty document itself. I can imagine walking into a Lexus dealer and asking them, "can you spruce up my warranty, enhance it a bit" and they reply "sure we can put in a frame around it like your college diploma and even have some lights nearby to shine on it like a work of art...there now...your warranty is enhanced...that make you feel better?" and I reply "oh god yes...I don't know what I would have done without my warranty enhancement"

Sorry...it's been a dull morning for me.
This post made my day
Old 10-25-07, 02:48 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
This post made my day
ROFL... it's kind of late in the day for me here but it made my day regardless.
Old 10-25-07, 03:18 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My uncle has a 04 Sienna Its been Very Reliable so far, nothing has gone wrong. I Guess he'll have to go in for a warranty check soon.
Old 10-25-07, 06:03 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Toyota's new spokesperson -

"No, no don't worry...we're not doing recall. Only warranty enhancement for your benefit"

Old 10-25-07, 06:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rosskoss
Toyota's new spokesperson -

"No, no don't worry...we're not doing recall. Only warranty enhancement for your benefit"

lol, u got that from VWVortex

Old 10-25-07, 07:20 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
p.s. 4-5 years ago, this would not be fixed, it would be considered "weak" point of the car (bad door mount)...
Actually...
My wife had a 1991 Celica - there was a recall or TSB on the air conditioner. They added a lubricant to the freon to avoid a compressor failure. Still, hers failed ... at 112K!

Toyota paid the entire bill - said their "fix" was obviously not good enough. I know of no other mfg that would do that - and this was probably back in 1997 or so....

So I'm betting they have always done this - but probably did not make a big deal out of it. The question is, did they do this Sienna campaign for PR purposes or is the Internet so powerful that you can't hide anything these days?
Old 10-25-07, 09:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
It is really an "recall" but nobody calls it that unless it is NHTSA recall. That includes every major manufacturer...
Appreciate you calling what it is, a recall, but not sure about the NHTSA thing. My MX-5 had a recall early on (gas cap was replaced as it could apparently make CEL come on - didn't affect mine by the way).

Anyway "warranty enhancement" sounds like "revenue enhancement" a phrase the government uses for raising taxes.
Old 10-25-07, 10:56 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Ah, this has happen on my '06 Sienna, the drivers door made a cracking sound everytime it was opened, it was fixed under warranty by re-welding it.
Old 10-26-07, 12:06 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

so they will fix the siennas, but will continue to let people who paid over 40K on their RX 330-350's drive a car with a crappy tranny? screw you toyota.
Old 10-26-07, 01:32 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AM1
so they will fix the siennas, but will continue to let people who paid over 40K on their RX 330-350's drive a car with a crappy tranny? screw you toyota.
That's because there's nothing wrong with those trannys. They're normal
Old 10-26-07, 01:53 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
Yea, normally irratic
Old 10-26-07, 01:58 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if any Siennas are included in the 470,000 that had recalls, posted on here a little while ago. If it, and these are totally independent of each other that brings the total in the past few months to 1,070,000?!?! Crap and my g/f just bought an IS350! haha

Wow I just looked for the old post myself and it looks like those recalls in Japan were for different vehicles. So it really is 1,070,000 vehicles in the past month it seems... wow...

Last edited by 92 SC400; 10-26-07 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-26-07, 10:27 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
It's learning.

On a serious note, if the welds at the door is weak, I wonder where else the welds are also weak that we dont know about?
Old 10-26-07, 01:17 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I wonder if any Siennas are included in the 470,000 that had recalls, posted on here a little while ago. If it, and these are totally independent of each other that brings the total in the past few months to 1,070,000?!?! Crap and my g/f just bought an IS350! haha

Wow I just looked for the old post myself and it looks like those recalls in Japan were for different vehicles. So it really is 1,070,000 vehicles in the past month it seems... wow...
Keep in mind that anytime you have a recall on high volume sellers like Camry, Corolla, ES, RX, etc; it's going to be HUGH numbers. The news is just making a big deal about because of the volume. In the last year Toyota has put out a lot of recalls, but they were all different cars, just a lot of them. The important thing is they are fixing this. If they are announcing recalls every year ON THE SAME CAR then quality is a concern. Now if Toyota were to announce a recall on the door hinge of all the LS460, on what... ~5000? It won't even be news worthy.
Old 10-26-07, 02:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ntran18
Keep in mind that anytime you have a recall on high volume sellers like Camry, Corolla, ES, RX, etc; it's going to be HUGH numbers. The news is just making a big deal about because of the volume.
yup. Apparantly when you sell a lot of cars, you get hammered by the numbers once you issue a recall. One thing with recalls though... when you have a company like Toyota, you know they're going to be sharing parts with other cars. If one problem is found in one model, there is a good chance the same problem might be in another model.

Quick Reply: Toyota to Fix 600,000 Siennas; Not a Recall