Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to Fix 600,000 Siennas; Not a Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-07, 05:46 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Toyota to Fix 600,000 Siennas; Not a Recall

Toyota to Fix 600,000 Sienna Minivans
Toyota has announced that it will voluntarily fix a defect in 600,000 2004-2006 Sienna minivans. Since the majority of the Siennas effected have past their 3 year/36,000 mile warranty, Toyota is issuing a warranty enhancement to vehicles with up to 100,000 miles. Toyota is not calling the situation a recall.

The warranty enhancement service is being performed due to a bad spot weld on the Sienna's front doors that could possibly fail, causing the doors swing freely and unexpectedly shut. Toyota will also reimburse those owners who have already had the problem fixed. The Japanese automaker will inform Sienna owners of the problem through a letter to be sent out on November 2.

While Toyota isn't calling the situation a recall, it only adds to mounting quality concerns as the company attempts to become the world's largest automaker.
Old 10-25-07, 05:58 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
Toyota to Fix 600,000 Sienna Minivans
Toyota has announced that it will voluntarily fix a defect in 600,000 2004-2006 Sienna minivans. Since the majority of the Siennas effected have past their 3 year/36,000 mile warranty, Toyota is issuing a warranty enhancement to vehicles with up to 100,000 miles. Toyota is not calling the situation a recall.

The warranty enhancement service is being performed due to a bad spot weld on the Sienna's front doors that could possibly fail, causing the doors swing freely and unexpectedly shut. Toyota will also reimburse those owners who have already had the problem fixed. The Japanese automaker will inform Sienna owners of the problem through a letter to be sent out on November 2.

While Toyota isn't calling the situation a recall, it only adds to mounting quality concerns as the company attempts to become the world's largest automaker.
"Warranty enhancement?"

I suppose they can call it anything they want if they're trying to save their quickly failing reputation as producing reliable vehicles. However, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that this is yet another Toyota recall
Old 10-25-07, 06:51 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Oh my. Thats a lot of cars.

They send out a letter like that about my Lexus and I'll jump ship!

Sike.. I'd love a 100k warranty!
Old 10-25-07, 07:24 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, it's a TSIB?
Old 10-25-07, 08:39 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice damage control move with the "warranty enhancement" bit. That isn't fooling anyone but I guess the important bit is to ensure that the general public's perception isn't affected.
Old 10-25-07, 09:01 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Ruh-roh....600,000

Thanks for the heads up

I haven't notice this problem on our sienna though.

Isn't that like the acura warranty extension on their transmission?
Old 10-25-07, 09:05 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rosskoss
Nice damage control move with the "warranty enhancement" bit. That isn't fooling anyone but I guess the important bit is to ensure that the general public's perception isn't affected.
I certainly hope the "public" is not that gullible to fall for the word smithing. It is a recall for goodness sake!!!
Old 10-25-07, 09:06 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyota's publicity spin machine worked hard on that one. Toyota is starting to annoy me with this kind of stuff - when they try to tell everyone a recall isn't really a recall, it makes me wonder what other less obvious kinds of things they might be spinning or lying about to the public...
Old 10-25-07, 09:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Warranty enhancement...kind of reminds me of a fish restaurant telling me their fish are freshly frozen (I have heard this more than once in different restaurants).

Warranty enhancement also kind of reminds me of all the little things I do every weekend with my RX300 here and there to keep my little RX maintained out of warranty. I can just imagine my uncle asking me, "Oye Ron, que estas haciendo?" "Tio, un warranty enhancement?" and my uncle replies, "un que????"

Or perhaps warranty enhancement means putting like gold leafing around the warranty document itself. I can imagine walking into a Lexus dealer and asking them, "can you spruce up my warranty, enhance it a bit" and they reply "sure we can put in a frame around it like your college diploma and even have some lights nearby to shine on it like a work of art...there now...your warranty is enhanced...that make you feel better?" and I reply "oh god yes...I don't know what I would have done without my warranty enhancement"

Sorry...it's been a dull morning for me.
Old 10-25-07, 09:28 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Warranty enhancement...kind of reminds me of a fish restaurant telling me their fish are freshly frozen (I have heard this more than once in different restaurants).

Warranty enhancement also kind of reminds me of all the little things I do every weekend with my RX300 here and there to keep my little RX maintained out of warranty. I can just imagine my uncle asking me, "Oye Ron, que estas haciendo?" "Tio, un warranty enhancement?" and my uncle replies, "un que????"

Or perhaps warranty enhancement means putting like gold leafing around the warranty document itself. I can imagine walking into a Lexus dealer and asking them, "can you spruce up my warranty, enhance it a bit" and they reply "sure we can put in a frame around it like your college diploma and even have some lights nearby to shine on it like a work of art...there now...your warranty is enhanced...that make you feel better?" and I reply "oh god yes...I don't know what I would have done without my warranty enhancement"

Sorry...it's been a dull morning for me.
LOL! That was good.

But seriously. This is like Toyota sticking its finger in a hole to plug a new leak in the dam and hoping nobody notices.
Old 10-25-07, 09:37 AM
LexFather

The usual suspects in here.....

Glad they are going to fix it pro-actively, and not ignore it.

Old 10-25-07, 10:10 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The usual suspects in here.....
I thought comments were supposed to be about the topic, not about the person? This sounds like a personal attack to me.
Old 10-25-07, 12:50 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

:d:d:d ...........
Man, another one?
Old 10-25-07, 12:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
So, it's a TSIB?
yep... its TSB done outside of warranty so warranty is extended...

It is really an "recall" but nobody calls it that unless it is NHTSA recall. That includes every major manufacturer...
Old 10-25-07, 12:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

p.s. 4-5 years ago, this would not be fixed, it would be considered "weak" point of the car (bad door mount)...

Quick Reply: Toyota to Fix 600,000 Siennas; Not a Recall