Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Want To Buy : New Gtr Or Used Ferrari ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-07, 02:46 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at 360's as well before the Viper and I couldnt find anything decent (01 / 02ish) for less than 125-135 for a F1 Coupe (forget about the spyder). The only cars I saw go near 100k were 99's with lots of mileage and dull colors. If your shopping wholesale maybe thats where the 100k comes in!
I was helping a friend of mine search for a 01+ 360 we have been looking around even with hook up it was 120+.... CS is still way up there ...

When I was working in Japan about 4 years ago I was actually consider buying one myself because of the attractive price and I always like the style.. I was planning to drive it in Japan and ship it backand covert to US spec for about 13k when I return to state, I have seen a lot of people done it in the past and it is way cheaper than buying it in the US but down side is it is harder to sell and not every Ferrari dealer here would service a grey market... so yeah 100k or less for 360 is possible but I don't think he can find a US car for that cheap unless it is beat up with 20k miles on it...
Old 10-26-07, 02:49 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Are 360 Modena coupes being had for under $100k? My friend looked into it fairly recently and did not have such luck finding at that price. Best he found was around $120k... I am with most here, for everyday the GT-R seems like it would be more "practical" and I think in the long run the Ferrari would be more of a headache. Besides, when you DO pull up next to someone in a 360 Modena, you have the satisfaction of knowing that you can smoke him, spend less time in the shop (hopefully), get more out of your car for less money, all while having a back seat!
Tell your friend to look into impound ones if he's still brave enough to think about the insurance and the maintenance cost.

They can be had half of the price, at about $80, G.

PS--- Why not just hit up JIMMY540I ?

Last edited by tzu911; 10-26-07 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-26-07, 05:07 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
LOL that's not going to happen. Aren't nissan dealerships all independently owned?

They may be indepentently owned, but Nissan can pull the dealership. Back around 1990 or '91 Nissan pulled an Infiniti dealership near me in Newton, MA. I had a friend who was a sales manager for another Infiniti dealership. He said that dealership was playing games with customers and so Nissan just stopped selling them cars. I have no idea what any kind of contract exists between the manufacturer and the dealer, but apparently the manufacturer protects itself from unscrupulous dealers.

Plus aside from pulling a dealership, the manufacturer could just cut that dealer's allotment of that model to 0!
Old 10-26-07, 05:36 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As much as I love F-cars, no way I would get one unless I'm really rich. With money to burn. Even then, the only ones that are close to capable of daily driving are the very new ones...the 613 and 599. I wouldn't buy anything I couldn't drive the crap out of any time I wanted.....and twice on Sundays.
The GTR, a daily drivable brute force object. It's a no brainer.
Old 10-26-07, 06:21 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
As much as I love F-cars, no way I would get one unless I'm really rich. With money to burn. Even then, the only ones that are close to capable of daily driving are the very new ones...the 613 and 599. I wouldn't buy anything I couldn't drive the crap out of any time I wanted.....and twice on Sundays.

Honestly the 360's are no prob as daily drivers, I know a guy that drove the snot out of his all over NYC (pothole capitol of the world) with no issue.

As I said earlier, if you want a 360 to run correctly drive them like you stole them as much as you can, that's the rule of thumb with these cars.

Thanks to this threads I've been back locked on 360's for the last 2 hours! LOL
Gotta keep working hard!!
Old 10-26-07, 06:29 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by reggiek

Honestly the 360's are no prob as daily drivers, I know a guy that drove the snot out of his all over NYC (pothole capitol of the world) with no issue.

As I said earlier, if you want a 360 to run correctly drive them like you stole them as much as you can, that's the rule of thumb with these cars.

Thanks to this threads I've been back locked on 360's for the last 2 hours! LOL
Gotta keep working hard!!
Old 10-26-07, 06:42 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

if he has 100k to spnd, im pretty sure he has more then one ca, and he can afford to maintian a ferrari ,get the ferrari, its an awesome car, rodein a few and i swear, its a piece of heaven
Old 10-26-07, 07:38 PM
Jay
Lexus Champion

Thanks everyone !

OK... first of all..... I just don't see myself paying, let's say "$20grand over sticker" on a NISSAN !!! (I know I know..it's a skyline)..hahaha.. but still Nissan !! IMO. Even if I have zillion dolla and filthy rich where money is no object, I JUST don't see myself doing that !!!

Ferrari..yes... I better look into around 100 grand or over for a nice/clean low mile beauty. 360 is not as bad as older model Ferrari's, such as 355 Berlinetta and 348ts and 512 Test'rossa in maintenance.

I don't know...... see, this is where I'm stuck !! hahaha.
Old 10-26-07, 07:53 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay
Thanks everyone !

OK... first of all..... I just don't see myself paying, let's say "$20grand over sticker" on a NISSAN !!! (I know I know..it's a skyline)..hahaha.. but still Nissan !! IMO. Even if I have zillion dolla and filthy rich where money is no object, I JUST don't see myself doing that !!!

Ferrari..yes... I better look into around 100 grand or over for a nice/clean low mile beauty. 360 is not as bad as older model Ferrari's, such as 355 Berlinetta and 348ts and 512 Test'rossa in maintenance.

I don't know...... see, this is where I'm stuck !! hahaha.
If you don't see yourself paying big bucks for that Nissan, why the heck did you start a thread asking the question. I love playing around on the internet but I don't like trying to help out for nothing. I hate when people ask opinions they don't really want just to post a thread.

Yeah, I had to vent! But it's all good. You can post what you want.
Old 10-26-07, 09:02 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An old boss had a 308 I think and he got rid of it after being stuck on the side of the road a few times and spent like $6,000 on a tune up. For $100 grand I would get a used NSX for the looks of an exotic and daily driver and a newer vette or viper for when I want to play catch me if you can. I'd only spend that for a Nissan in racing games on a PS2 or Xbox 360.
Old 10-26-07, 09:39 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

actually an nsx isnt a bad idea lol
Old 10-26-07, 10:06 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

I would get a brand new ferrari if it were possible in that price range. You have no idea where a used ferrari has been and how it was driven. There is a chance that you may end up getting stuck with very very expensive repair bills. I'd say get the brand new GT-R.
Old 10-26-07, 10:31 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

id say get a porsche 911 turbo and call it a day
lol

paying 20k on top of sticker is just ridiculous for a nissan GT-R
i wouldnt let them have the satisfaction
its the principle
Old 10-26-07, 10:32 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

OK... first of all..... I just don't see myself paying, let's say "$20grand over sticker" on a NISSAN !!! (I know I know..it's a skyline)..hahaha.. but still Nissan !! IMO.
hahaha that's funny... the new R35 GT-R is not a skyline.. skyline is family sadan in japan it share nothing with the new GT-R... I own all 3 previous generation R32, R33, R34 Skyline GT-Rs so ya we all call those Skyline but the new R35 is not a Skyline.. you might want to do some research...

IMO. Even if I have zillion dolla and filthy rich where money is no object, I JUST don't see myself doing that !!!
what's wrong with spending $$$ on a Nissan? I have help some friend air freight a 15k tranmssion from Australia and 20k on a rebulit motor from Japan and they all went into a Nissan.. I don't see other have problems spending $$$ because its a Nissan... If you think because its a Nissan and you don't wnat to spend any $$$ may be you are looking at the wrong cars to play with..

sorry to go off topic... But If I have spare 100k to spend right now and I want something flashy will probably go buy myself a nice watch not a car
Old 10-27-07, 09:50 AM
Jay
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
I would get a brand new ferrari if it were possible in that price range. You have no idea where a used ferrari has been and how it was driven. There is a chance that you may end up getting stuck with very very expensive repair bills. I'd say get the brand new GT-R.

AGREE.... I will buy the GT-R then !! Thanks everyone !!

Quick Reply: Want To Buy : New Gtr Or Used Ferrari ???