Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

F1: Interesting comments by Toyota's Kazuo Okamoto

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-07, 10:43 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F1: Interesting comments by Toyota's Kazuo Okamoto

Toyota sticks with F1
Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Toyota is committed to Formula One despite its lack of success since entering the circus in 2002.

It has yet to chalk up a race victory but executive vice president for research and development Kazuo Okamoto predicted that the race team's fortunes would take a turn for the better with a race win next season.

This would be achieved with further development for its 2008 cars and a change of driver.

Ralf Schumacher's contract has come to and end and Okamoto said the company would be looking for "a younger driver" to fill the vacant seat, adding with a smile: "a young Spanish driver would make us very happy."

He said talks were progressing with possible replacements for Schumacher and Okomoto added that as long as Toyota is involved in the motor industry it will take part in top level motorsport.

"We obviously can't be involved in everything but currently F1 and NASCAR in the United States are the pinnacle and that is where we have to be."

He admitted Toyota has underestimated the challenge presented by F1. "We soon discovered that the other teams had a lot more experience and that made it difficult for a newcomer like us.

"But we will not pull out just because we haven't won a race. F1 is an important development ground for Toyota."

How does the company square F1 with the environmentally-friendly technology it showcases at the Tokyo Motor Show? Okamoto believes that there are opportunities on that score.

"There are development opportunities for using hybrid technologies and bio-fuels in F1 in the future. Motorsport is all about dreams and passion. I think we can be pushing those while coping with the CO2 issue."

Okamoto also said that Toyota will start producing sports cars again. It has not replaced models such as the Celica Coupe and the MR2. The two seater was phased out last year.

He added: "We need to revive our sports cars but I cannot say when that will be - we will have an answer some time in the near future.

"We also have an opportunity to develop hybrid systems for sports models."

JAPAN: Toyota sticks with F1: Automotive News & Comment
Old 10-28-07, 11:31 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Young spanish driver??? Alonso? The guy who has no honor? ...turns in his own team...
Old 10-28-07, 11:40 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

here i as hoping theyd pick up Vettel or Sutil

i do hope its not alonso tho
Old 10-28-07, 01:23 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Young spanish driver??? Alonso? The guy who has no honor? ...turns in his own team...
Maybe he's referring to Pedro de la Rosa...
Old 10-28-07, 01:44 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

I don't think you'll find many people who like Alonso's personality, but he is a good F1 driver.

I really doubt Alonso would want to go to Toyota. I'm thinking he'd take Renault before jumping into Toyota.
Old 10-28-07, 01:57 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

To be certain, Toyota's results so far in F1 have been dissapointing but Toyota should not be underestimated. As the team gets more experienced, and more specialized things can only get better for Toyota in F1. Even if they don't see good results on the track, many things Toyota is learning in F1 already have been and will continue to be applied to production cars.
Old 10-28-07, 04:01 PM
LexFather

They need serious help. I mean what did they have, like 11 points this past year.

Pitiful

Old 10-28-07, 04:36 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
I don't think you'll find many people who like Alonso's personality, but he is a good F1 driver.

I really doubt Alonso would want to go to Toyota. I'm thinking he'd take Renault before jumping into Toyota.
True, I hate the guy...but I will Admit, he is one of the best there is right now. As for his wanting to go to Renault...well he was quoted as saying that "it won't be his first choice" ... To add to that, Toyota's bid for him right now is 165 Million.

Originally Posted by jruhi4
Maybe he's referring to Pedro de la Rosa...
Pedro De la Rosa by no stretch of the Imagination is 'young'