Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Have you been pulled over for tint?
Yes, i have been pulled over for tint
33.62%
Not yet.
47.41%
Don't have tint
18.97%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: how many of you were pulled over for tint?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-07, 09:30 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

no tint...YET.
Old 10-29-07, 12:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
First problem ..... equating 'nice' meal with Long John Silver.
Exactly. You can do better than that.....unless you (and your arteries) like eating grease. (just watch how they cook most of their food when you order it ).

Fines for tint, and laws regulating the amount of shading, are NOT a money issue. It is primarily a safety issue for cops. It became an issue when police started getting shot during routine traffic stops because they couldn't see inside the car.....and who was pointing a gun at them.

I myself don't fool with tint. Yes, it may take a little of the load off the A/C on a sunny day, but it also can cut way down on your night vision, which, in dark, rural areas with little lighting, can be a problem.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-29-07 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-29-07, 01:04 PM
iDrive
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think polices in NC area are rather care-free about tints. I myself haven't had a problem rolling around with 35%. My cousin has 15% all around except for the front windshield which is 50%, 20% on the top. He hasn't had any problems yet.
Old 10-29-07, 01:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by iDrive
I think polices in NC area are rather care-free about tints. I myself haven't had a problem rolling around with 35%. My cousin has 15% all around except for the front windshield which is 50%, 20% on the top. He hasn't had any problems yet.
NC, I believe, is the state that was the first to regulate tint...at police request.
Old 10-29-07, 07:24 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Out state always had a 35% + or - 7% tint law. Before most of us used to run 20% or darker, until they started cracking down. State inspection stations as well as the police started carrying tint meters so they could check your tint in seconds. Ever since then I just stuck to 35% and have never been bothered
Old 10-30-07, 04:18 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Next time, head for Red Lobster. Karma will be on your side then
Old 10-30-07, 08:32 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

grrr afraid to say cause i dont wanna ginx myself
Old 11-26-07, 06:59 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I roll with 5% tint on all side windows and the rear. I've yet to get pulled over for solely for the tint. I was always under the impression that cops cite for tint if you get pulled over for some other traffic violation until my friend pulled over.
Old 11-26-07, 08:13 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Tint: 35/20
Duration with tints on: 8 months
Tickets: None

Comments: I just typically lower my front windows if I'm around cops or if I'm being pulled over. But, by driving a tinted sedan, it's a lot less obvious then tinted windows on a 2-door.

Well, another good reason for tints is because it is a good safety feature. If your glass ever breaks, the tint film actually does hold the shards of glass together much better then otherwise. It does provide good UV protection for your dash and/or leather around the car.
Old 11-26-07, 08:22 PM
alexmlane
Driver School Candidate

I have had 5% all the way around on my cars in the past 5 years and up until 2 years ago I never got stopped. Alabama since then has meters in ALL state trooper vehicles. I have had 8 tickets and been pulled over at least 15 times for it. I was pulled over on the way to Atlanta GA in an Acura RL with 5% tint when I went to trade it in for the LS and got pulled over in the car pool lane because they couldnt see my passenger.

Needless to say I will have 5% on the LS too. I just had my eye Dr. who I know personally write me a prescription though saying I can have it due to severe headaches from the sun. We will see how it works!
Old 11-26-07, 08:24 PM
hb55047
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in the last 6 months i was pulled over twice in the sc, pretty sure by the same cops. In my avalon i was pulled over for speeding and they reduced it to tints.
Old 11-26-07, 10:36 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Unless you live in CA or VA, I have not heard of people getting pulled over for tint often at all.

In Florida most cops don't care (unless you're driving some POS rice rocket), I have never been hassled by any cop that has pulled me over, but then I always put down all my windows when pulled over and I also have legal tint so it wouldn't matter. haha
Old 11-27-07, 02:28 AM
Sc.ab
Pole Position

I've had two cars with tint now, the first had i think 13-15%? No problems with police there.

And my SC now I have 6% all the way around and still been problem free.

And I'm in Cali, just don't drive like a wacko, and if you see a cop, roll em down haha....

knock on wood....
Old 12-15-07, 10:52 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

^^ I am paranoid as well but have not been caught yet (KNOCK ON WOOD). I have a black with black tint... Luckily I use to be a smoker so I'm use to driving with the windows down (even in winter!). Although on hot days when I have the A/C on and I see a cop, my windows always go down.
Old 12-16-07, 10:28 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Right after the day I tint my window, the cop followed me for a minute or 2 after making a U turn, and pulled me over.

Quick Reply: Poll: how many of you were pulled over for tint?