Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota’s first lithium-ion battery car will most likely be a Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-07, 07:31 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Toyota’s first lithium-ion battery car will most likely be a Lexus

Toyota’s first lithium will most likely be a Lexus

Posted on: October 29th, 2007

So here is some crazy green news this morning. Instead of making its iconic Prius the first lithium-ion powered hybrid, Toyota may first offer a lithium-ion battery in a hybrid-only Lexus. According to Kazuo Okamoto, Toyota’s executive vice president of r&d and product development, the first Toyota lithium-ion car will be a limited edition, low-volume vehicle.

Lexus has been reported on working on a dedicated hybrid-only model that will be slightly roomier than the current IS lower-premium sedan. But don’t expect this car to arrive anytime soon.

According to Bill Reinert, Toyota doesn’t see any massive developments in lithium-ion battery technology any time in the near future.

“Nobody has the technology right now for a 150,000-mile lithium ion battery,” Reinert told Automotive News. “There have been tests in a lab, but not enough road tests with heat, cold, snow and salt.”

“Until we are really comfortable with the technology, we won’t install it.”

At the 40th Tokyo Motor Show last week, Lexus unveiled the new LF-Xh Hybrid SUV Concept. The Lexus LF-Xh uses the ‘Lexus Hybrid Drive’ which features high-end performance along with high fuel efficiency and low emissions. Lexus says that the all-wheel-drive LF-Xh is powered by a V6 gasoline engine and a high-output electric motor hybrid system.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
via egmcartech
Old 10-29-07, 08:12 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After they do that, I guess they will use it on the LS, RX and GS. Plus I hope on all other models such as: GX, LX, SC and ES.
Old 10-29-07, 08:21 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Hmmm, hoping for an IS hybrid soon for my dad.
Old 10-29-07, 09:55 AM
LexFather

I am not holding my breath!

Old 10-29-07, 10:34 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to Bill Reinert, Toyota doesn’t see any massive developments in lithium-ion battery technology any time in the near future.

“Nobody has the technology right now for a 150,000-mile lithium ion battery,” Reinert told Automotive News. “There have been tests in a lab, but not enough road tests with heat, cold, snow and salt.”

“Until we are really comfortable with the technology, we won’t install it.”
Toyota really seems to be getting behind in the Li-ion hybrid game and just wouldn't acknowledge it. Even Hyundai is on schedule to roll out their first Li-ion Elantra hybrid by 2010, not to mention GM.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 10-29-07 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-29-07, 11:43 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Toyota really seems to be getting behind in the Li-ion hybrid game and just wouldn't acknowledge it. Even Hyundai is on schedule to roll out their first Li-ion Elantra hybrid by 2010, not to mention GM.
There must be some serious concerns and/or problems that they faced during testing that forced them to rule out Li-ion tech to be used anytime soon. Given all the reliability problems they've had to deal with recently, I'm sure the last thing they want to do is gamble on these batteries, only to have more and more problems. They're conservative as it is and it seems now they're being ultra-conservative because of recent issues.

It will be very interesting indeed to start seeing GM, Hyundai and others start rolling out Li-ion hybrids and Toyota still using old nickel metal hydride tech. It could really hurt their green image tremendously if that were to happen.
Old 10-29-07, 12:24 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

LF-A will be the first, IMO
Old 10-29-07, 12:29 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I hope the performance-oriented LF-A hybrid, if Lexus ever makes it, to feature the capacitor-based system used in the race-winning SARD Supra HV-R instead of the battery-based one. That'll be uber cool.
Old 10-29-07, 10:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Very very good point here. Didn't think of that.....

I am sure the V-10 LF-A will roll out first for 2009 or 2010 and then the hybrid maybe in 2012 or 2013. Tons of time to get it right.