Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Will the M3 have the 7 speed SMG transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-07, 01:21 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
Not that there is anything wrong with 6800RPM redline but anything above@ 8000+ RPM redline, the sound is mesmerizing. Listen to the sport motorbikes or the F1 cars... my friend... that is MUSIC.
I have some comparison videos for our buddy to listen to tonight
Old 10-30-07, 07:53 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
412hp and 310 lb-ft of torque.
7-speed SMG III with DriveLogic is standard.
Right now it is just the 6-speed manual. No confirmation on the SMG that I'm aware of (rumors have it coming out later)
Old 10-30-07, 08:07 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

It won't be an SMG type tranny. It'll be a dual-clutch type tranny. Rumors up to last week was that it'll be available at the U.S. launch but dealers are now finally getting the order form for options & specs for the e92 M3. The order forms as well as my dealership has confirmed no SMG/DCT will be available at the U.S. launch. I was on the list & put down a deposit at the local BMW dealership for an M3 but I'll wait for the SMG/DCT version to come out. I guess I was one of the few who actually liked SMG on the e46 M3.
Old 10-30-07, 08:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
lol.. I think you need to here the soundtrack of both cars again.. The M3 V8 sounds like a classic muscle car with cowl induction, while the IS-F sounds like a Ford Econoline van.. Seriously...
This is so far from the truth its not even funny. Haven't heard the M3 V-8 yet but the 5.0 V-8 on the IS-F sound very deep and wonderful. One of the best stock sounds I have ever heard of any V-8 car.

Old 10-30-07, 08:14 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is so far from the truth its not even funny. Haven't heard the M3 V-8 yet but the 5.0 V-8 on the IS-F sound very deep and wonderful. One of the best stock sounds I have ever heard of any V-8 car.
I agree. I've heard both and I HIGHLY disagree that the sound of the M3 V8 is anything like that of a muscle car. IMO, it sounded tame. At WOT, it certainly opened up it's vocal chords but nothing like that of a classic muscle car.

The IS-F had wonderful sound also. Maybe not quite as tame as the M3 but it certainly did not sond like a Econoline. It sounded great IMO.
Old 10-30-07, 09:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
Perhaps if they had proper tips connecting to the muffler they could've squeezed the extra 80HP.

lol. Riiiiiice-A-Roni...

IS-F is still a great car though.

But I'd still take the M3. Just too much experience behind it.
Old 10-30-07, 09:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Yeah!
It won't be an SMG type tranny. It'll be a dual-clutch type tranny. Rumors up to last week was that it'll be available at the U.S. launch but dealers are now finally getting the order form for options & specs for the e92 M3. The order forms as well as my dealership has confirmed no SMG/DCT will be available at the U.S. launch. I was on the list & put down a deposit at the local BMW dealership for an M3 but I'll wait for the SMG/DCT version to come out. I guess I was one of the few who actually liked SMG on the e46 M3.
Let's hope the shift quality of the new twin-clutch system is a little better. Previous BMW SMG gearbox shifts were often like going into the ring with Hulk Hogan and getting slammed down on the mat.
Old 10-30-07, 09:23 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Let's hope the shift quality of the new twin-clutch system is a little better. Previous BMW SMG gearbox shifts were often like going into the ring with Hulk Hogan and getting slammed down on the mat.
LOL, like I said I guess I was one of the few that liked SMG. Drove it hard for the 3 yrs I had it & never once did I have an issue w/the tranny. Only time I disliked SMG was in auto-mode since your description was exactly how it felt like in that mode.
Old 10-30-07, 10:30 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
Perhaps if they had proper tips connecting to the muffler they could've squeezed the extra 80HP.

Attachment 113602
this is like the 3rd or 4th thread that you have posted this in. Get over it. seriously.
Old 10-31-07, 02:13 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the sound coming from both cars will be great. It is just a matter of opnion which sounds better to the individual. I personally like the big block V8 rumble of the old school muscle cars, but I also love the high reving sound of high strung engines like the M3, NSX, S2000 and such. I don't think there is anything wrong with either approach as long as the end performnce is good.
Old 10-31-07, 02:16 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
this is like the 3rd or 4th thread that you have posted this in. Get over it. seriously.

You have to admit though that the fake exhaust is kind if disappointing and needless. For starters, I hate the look of that style. Now to learn they didn't even need it and it is fake? I wish they went with a traditional exhaust. I could have lived with the exhaust tips if it was needed for performance, but now I I just shake my head.

If anyone can explain why that style exhaust tip was needed for performace gain I'm all ears. If not, why do people make fun of mods that add no performance and call it "Rice", but actually like this fake double stacked tips?
Old 10-31-07, 06:17 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I could not have said any better myself.

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
You have to admit though that the fake exhaust is kind if disappointing and needless. For starters, I hate the look of that style. Now to learn they didn't even need it and it is fake? I wish they went with a traditional exhaust. I could have lived with the exhaust tips if it was needed for performance, but now I I just shake my head.

If anyone can explain why that style exhaust tip was needed for performace gain I'm all ears. If not, why do people make fun of mods that add no performance and call it "Rice", but actually like this fake double stacked tips?
Old 10-31-07, 09:37 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

I wouldn'd call it fake exhaust. The entire exhaust system is real. It's just that the tips at the bumper do not connect to the muffler tips.

If you look at any cars with the exhaust tips going through the rear bumper, there has to be some clearance between the tips and bumper itself due to vibration and heat. This creates a gap (some are bigger than others) between the tips and the bumper. With this gap, it does not look "clean" so instead of having this big holes in the bumper, Lexus chooses a different design that serves the same purpose but hidding it behind the bumper where people can't see (except for that guy who took that picture). Everyone has their preferrences. Personally, I don't like exhaust going thru the bumper especially the stacked design on the IS-F. (yes, I have seen school buses with the exhaust tip going through the bumper so this design is not 'cool'. However, Ferrari executes it very nicely.

I do see one problem with the IS-F design though. From looking at the picture, the "real" tips and the "fake" tips DO NOT line up. With the hot exhaust gas blowing directly at the bumper (especially after many hot laps around the track), this may be a problem.
Old 10-31-07, 10:38 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newr
I do see one problem with the IS-F design though. From looking at the picture, the "real" tips and the "fake" tips DO NOT line up. With the hot exhaust gas blowing directly at the bumper (especially after many hot laps around the track), this may be a problem.
It looks like that photo is shot at an angle, look at the tire treads. So they could line up better than the photo suggests.
Old 10-31-07, 03:29 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
that the sound of the M3 V8 is anything like that of a muscle car. IMO, it sounded tame. At WOT, it certainly opened up it's vocal chords but nothing like that of a classic muscle car.

The IS-F had wonderful sound also. Maybe not quite as tame as the M3 but it certainly did not sond like a Econoline. It sounded great IMO.
Let us hear them and compare gentlemen Listen........

1970 Plymouth Roadrunner w/ 426 Hemi
http://youtube.com/watch?v=M-e0_9MiyGw

2008 BMW M3 (coutesy of Winding Road)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RaUrTidXR0s

2008 Lexus IS-F (courtesy of Winding Road)
http://www.windingroad.com/multimedi...-27&file=lexus

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 10-31-07 at 03:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Will the M3 have the 7 speed SMG transmission?