Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Will the M3 have the 7 speed SMG transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-07, 05:32 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

IS-F
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGTVOT2R3xg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZXvTxC0J_U
Old 10-31-07, 07:49 PM
Galaxy 40
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Let us hear them and compare gentlemen Listen........

1970 Plymouth Roadrunner w/ 426 Hemi
http://youtube.com/watch?v=M-e0_9MiyGw

2008 BMW M3 (coutesy of Winding Road)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RaUrTidXR0s

2008 Lexus IS-F (courtesy of Winding Road)
http://www.windingroad.com/multimedi...-27&file=lexus

I had to turn the volume up because of the background music. The Is-F sounds really great
The youtube video of the Is-F sounds even better
Old 10-31-07, 07:56 PM
LexFather

The IS-F sounds like a beast.

Old 11-01-07, 06:28 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think both the M3 and IS-F have very sophisticated V8 growls the IS-F is deeper but the M3 can sing at high rpm, the Winding Road M3 vid does not do it justice in my opinion. The M3 has a mute growl but still better than the I6 chatter, when the M3 let's loose I'm sure it'll sound much better. The Winding Road vid didn't really give it full throttle. I honestly think the M3 still looks better overall, they executed the body very nicely. The IS-F still doesn't look that great to me, I'm sure it'll perform and I'd buy it if it performs as well as the M3 (or close to it) and undercuts it by price. The first few things I'd change when the aftermarket comes in is the front air dam (looks weird doesn't flow with the body and hood lines), the hood (the bulge needs to look less awkward) and the exhaust will get a real hookup (I like to see the exhaust gases pour from the tips) and maybe a less flat oval offset dual stack design.

Did anyone notice the shifts? Good god that is sick, watch the tach as they hit a new gear, it's lightening quick. The only downside I would see of SMG, DSG, 8speed auto with lock-up is that there's no clutch pedal. When you want to drive normally it'd suck up a lot less gas (which you probably wouldn't care if you're buying a car with performance in mind) if you had put on the clutch to coast, rather than let it wind down from a gear. If you let the 8spd run in full auto there's still a connection from the engine to the transmission even if there is no lockup, it just drops it into a more fuel efficient gear (which you could do in manual mode). Where as a clutch pedal lets you ride it with no tranny drain and still coast.
I don't know too much about the DSG and SMG trannies but they don't have a clutch pedal either so there's no way to let it coast with no tranny hooked, unless you of course drive it in full auto and drop it in neutral when you want to coast. You wouldn't be able to do that in the SMG though, there's no neutral gear in that transmission.
Old 11-01-07, 07:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Even when I drove a manual I never coasted in neutral I dont understsand why people did it, when you are coasting you have zero throttle, even if you are in neutral you are using the same amount of gas as in gear because you have zero throttle. Sure you will go a longer distance in neutral. Ive tried both methods seeing virtually no noticable gain in mpg and factor in hassle of reengaging the gear when traffic flow changed, it wasnt worth it IMO. I always kept it in gear

also for the exhaust design whiners, taken from another CL thread:

Audi R8 fails:
http://lz7w.com/albums/misc/Picture_011.jpg
http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/autobl...ay_large30.JPG

Lambo LP640 fails:
http://images.motortrend.com/photo_g...40+exhaust.jpg

Veyron @ 4:04 fails:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhgSV0w1wLg
Old 11-01-07, 07:09 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

LOL.. Did the IS-F spin out in that video? What happened? I could of posted extended vids of the M3 but there was no need. I love classic muscle cars and v8's in general since I was a youngster growing up. The V8 exhaust tone in the potentially 60k IS-f sounds no better than the M3... sorry my opinion here.. Heck, it sounds no different than a 1UZ with headers & exhaust..
Old 11-01-07, 07:35 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Even when I drove a manual I never coasted in neutral I dont understsand why people did it, when you are coasting you have zero throttle, even if you are in neutral you are using the same amount of gas as in gear because you have zero throttle. Sure you will go a longer distance in neutral. Ive tried both methods seeing virtually no noticable gain in mpg and factor in hassle of reengaging the gear when traffic flow changed, it wasnt worth it IMO. I always kept it in gear

also for the exhaust design whiners, taken from another CL thread:

Audi R8 fails:
http://lz7w.com/albums/misc/Picture_011.jpg
http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/autobl...ay_large30.JPG

Lambo LP640 fails:
http://images.motortrend.com/photo_g...40+exhaust.jpg

Veyron @ 4:04 fails:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhgSV0w1wLg
Your links fail!
I guess you do have a point but I like coasting to lights and stop signs. I've got to stop anyway right? Might as well save the .01mpg.

LOL.. Did the IS-F spin out in that video? What happened? I could of posted extended vids of the M3 but there was no need. I love classic muscle cars and v8's in general since I was a youngster growing up. The V8 exhaust tone in the potentially 60k IS-f sounds no better than the M3... sorry my opinion here.. Heck, it sounds no different than a 1UZ with headers & exhaust..
The American muscle is loud brash and brutal. It wouldn't sound fitting in a luxury sport sedan. They sound great in a muscle car but not in a luxury car. I've always like the sophisticated note of a luxury V8.

1UZs with header and exhaust sounds different depending on setup. You can make one sound like a muscle car or you can make it sound sophisticated.

Both sound wonderful in my opinion.
Old 11-01-07, 07:49 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
The American muscle is loud brash and brutal. It wouldn't sound fitting in a luxury sport sedan. They sound great in a muscle car but not in a luxury car. I've always like the sophisticated note of a luxury V8.

1UZs with header and exhaust sounds different depending on setup. You can make one sound like a muscle car or you can make it sound sophisticated.

Both sound wonderful in my opinion.
Have you been around the Mercedes AMG cars? Have your car alarm sensitivity adjusted to low.. Subtle they are not.. These caliber of cars AMG, BMW M, Caddy V series are far from sounding meek..

Though I am not a bon bon eating magazine junkie, Automobile magazine had this to say about the IS-F.

"So, it doesn't scream, but the Lexus engine won't win any singing competitions, either. A secondary air intake opens up at 3600 rpm, filling the cabin with a contrived, nasal induction honk under big throttle openings. It's not particularly pleasing inside the car, and it completely stifles the exhaust noise-the noise that makes the German V-8s so desirable.
Old 11-01-07, 07:54 AM
Koma

Have you been around the Mercedes AMG cars? Have your car alarm sensitivity adjusted to low.. Subtle they are not.. These caliber of cars AMG, BMW M, Caddy V series are far from sounding meek..

Though I am not a bon bon eating magazine junkie, Automobile magazine had this to say about the IS-F.
I never said subtle but sophisticated. Muscle cars have that brash carbeurated noise, with the steel piping pinging noise. The AMG cars aren't superbly loud either, some models are others are pretty subtle. They can be loud and sophisticated at the same time.
From what I heard from the video clips it's no singer but it doesn't sound harsh. It sounds deep and powerful.
Old 11-01-07, 09:14 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not talking about the exhaust sound here. The exhaust sound can be easily changed to different tune depending on intake, header and cat-back setups.

as far as engine sound goes, the higher the rpm, the better it sounds.. 6800 RPM engine sound is just so typical. Once it gets to 8000 rpm and above, there is NOTHING else like it.
Old 11-01-07, 09:24 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by newr
I am not talking about the exhaust sound here. The exhaust sound can be easily changed to different tune depending on intake, header and cat-back setups.

as far as engine sound goes, the higher the rpm, the better it sounds.. 6800 RPM engine sound is just so typical. Once it gets to 8000 rpm and above, there is NOTHING else like it.
You might want to be more specific, engine sounds can only come from the intake or exhaust. The suction of the intake noise and the exhaust gases being pushed out the exhaust. All other noises are belts, pulleys, etc. I don't quite follow what "engine" sound is.
Old 11-01-07, 09:44 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
You might want to be more specific, engine sounds can only come from the intake or exhaust. The suction of the intake noise and the exhaust gases being pushed out the exhaust. All other noises are belts, pulleys, etc. I don't quite follow what "engine" sound is.
Cams. lifters, pistons and the sound the create when they work in unisance....
Old 11-01-07, 09:49 AM
Koma

Cams. lifters, pistons and the sound the create when they work in unisance....
Ah, I see. Intake/exhaust usually drown out the noise of the engine parts (for the most part).
Old 11-01-07, 09:50 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Engine sound comes from more than just the intake an exhaust.

The exhaust is just a byproduct of the engine sound being muffled through a canister. The engine sound itself can be 'tuned' by changing different specs of the car.

A friend of mine has an acura integra and a few years ago before he went turbo, his car was an N/A monster. Just by changing out the camshaft to a more aggressive lobe changed the tone and rhythm of the engine.

The firing order of the piston also matters. I can guarantee you that a Lexus V8 won't have that unique tone of a Mustang V8. For one, the firing order of the mustang makes it possible for a more brutal tone. The lexus is made for refinement. Obviously these two engines sound different, due to different designs.
Old 11-01-07, 09:55 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I dont understsand why people did it, when you are coasting you have zero throttle, even if you are in neutral you are using the same amount of gas as in gear because you have zero throttle.
When you're in gear above a certain RPM with no throttle, the engine has a fuel cut-off to engine brake. If you're in neutral and you coast to a stop, fuel will be supplied to the engine to keep it idling. So technically you save gas if you put it in gear and let off the accelerator But for the streets, I rather save the clutch than to save a few dimes and nickle at the pump.

Quick Reply: Will the M3 have the 7 speed SMG transmission?