Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota suspends sales of Rav4 following engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-07, 09:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

You're beginning to sound like me more each day, bit, when it comes to car interiors.

Like you, I long for the good old Lexus and Acura days, although I still think the new RL is superb.
Old 10-30-07, 11:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're beginning to sound like me more each day, bit, when it comes to car interiors.
Hey, great minds think alike? Or maybe we're just two grumpy old men, lol.

Like you, I long for the good old Lexus and Acura days, although I still think the new RL is superb.
I agree Acura stepped it up for the new RL. Unfortunately I think the car's smallish size, lack of V8 or power in general, and cheap looking wheels, combined with Acura having cheapened their image in recent years, all conspired against the RL's success.
Old 10-31-07, 07:36 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with both of you, Acura RL interior is superb!
Old 10-31-07, 01:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
Because that V6 is the same as the Avalon, Camry, Highlander, ES350 and RX350 so is it just the Rav4, or would it be all

And my Uncle has the Rav4 V6 so would like to know is it for the US as well (still wish mines was the V6 though)
it is something with Aussie specific version, since GR engines have been built into millions of Toyota's by now...
Old 10-31-07, 01:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Andy
We had a brand new Rav-4 petrol replaced FOC with a diesel version 3 months after purchase due to an engine management fault Toyota were unable to cure. The diesel isn't the smoothest but it gets 38mpg all day long.
i really dont see what has your AZ series 4cly engine have to do with GR series V6, but let me tell you - AZ is great engine that has no known issues.

I have yet to see problem with those engines, and we have sold bunch of petrol Rav4's...
Old 10-31-07, 02:04 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Exactly. Cutting costs is tricky - you can do it by finding inefficiencies and resolving or automating them but Toyota is already considered very efficient. Or you can do it by using less expensive materials and HOPE the consumer doesn't notice or mind. This is VERY hard and what got GM into such huge trouble in the past - consumers can be fooled some of the time but they're not stupid and they WILL notice when cheaper materials are used.

As a side note, I was behind a new Camry today. Anyone else noticed how the center mounted stop light above the trunk is now 4 LED 'dots' instead of a solid light? It looks like something you could get off eBay for $2.

And once consumers notice a car maker going 'cheap' it can ruin a reputation quickly and it's VERY hard to recover.

I think Toyota AND its Lexus division are suffering here not only on increasing defects but on visually cheaper materials. I hope they change soon.

Another brand, Acura, made this mistake. My '87 and '94 Acura Legends had BEAUTIFUL wood inside and nice switch gear. The RL that came next (not the new one) looked like a piece of crap inside in comparison particularly the rock hard plastic dash. So I switched to the 2GS (very very nice interior for its time, including that soft rubbery plastic for the dash that felt expensive). Now the 3GS has gone to the hard cheaper looking plastic and awful out of place aluminum trim. The 1RX went from nice wood inside to that God AWFUL aluminum trim. The LS460 is very nice except the front/rear bumpers have almost no detail and look like the same swath of plastic a Camry has, and the center stack seems more 'plasticky' than previous LS. Anyway... </rant>
I couldn't agree with you more on all those points. I found exactly the same problems sitting in recent Toyota and Lexus products. That ugly silver trim also made it into the new 4Runner and looked terrible there too.

I test drove the new V6 Accord Coupe and the new Infiniti G37 and the material is much better than Toyota or Lexus. I already made my decision and I figured if I am going to get non-luxury look interior I am not paying for luxury prices, so I just got myself a Nissan last week (350Z!) and traded in my RX300, one of the last models that actually had a great interior.
Old 10-31-07, 02:15 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Engine problems, transmission problems (take a look at the E-330/350 Forum), wind noise and cheap interior problems (Take a look at the E-460 Forum), and it's no surprise Lexus is declining in Customer Satisfaction Polls. I think I have owned my last one.
Old 10-31-07, 02:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rjm
Engine problems, transmission problems (take a look at the E-330/350 Forum), wind noise and cheap interior problems (Take a look at the E-460 Forum), and it's no surprise Lexus is declining in Customer Satisfaction Polls. I think I have owned my last one.
interesting... what are you buying next?

p.s. it is kind of interesting that ppl are bashing Toyota stopping sales before they started so they can fix the issue they found in field testing. If anything, they should be applauded for doing so, because no customers will not experience that issue.
Old 10-31-07, 02:28 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
interesting... what are you buying next?

Most likely another BMW 5-Series. I've had 3 of them and was happy with all of them. Never had a problem with any of them.
Old 10-31-07, 03:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rjm
Most likely another BMW 5-Series. I've had 3 of them and was happy with all of them. Never had a problem with any of them.
did you check forums of 5 series? please dont.

:-).
Old 10-31-07, 03:20 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i really dont see what has your AZ series 4cly engine have to do with GR series V6, but let me tell you - AZ is great engine that has no known issues.

I have yet to see problem with those engines, and we have sold bunch of petrol Rav4's...
I'm delighted for you. I was merely pointing out Toyota GB couldn't fix our 2.0l 4 cylinder and it wasn't the first they have bought back.
Old 10-31-07, 03:34 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Wow.. I hope this is not a trend..
It's already a trend it seems... Makes me regret not purchasing the extended warranty for my IS350
Old 10-31-07, 03:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Exactly. Cutting costs is tricky - you can do it by finding inefficiencies and resolving or automating them but Toyota is already considered very efficient. Or you can do it by using less expensive materials and HOPE the consumer doesn't notice or mind. This is VERY hard and what got GM into such huge trouble in the past - consumers can be fooled some of the time but they're not stupid and they WILL notice when cheaper materials are used.
Exactly. That is something I have always had an eye for. In some cases, you can tell who makes a vehicle and where the parts come from just by looks and feel alone, without even looking at the nameplate. A good example: When Mazda first introduced the Navajo in the early 1990's, the first one I saw on the lot, I could tell it was not a true Mazda product but simply a rebadged Ford Explorer Sport, even though there wasn't a single Ford name on the Navajo parts anywhere. How? The body shell, hardware, seats, switches, trim...all were virtually identical in looks and feel to the 2-door Explorer.
Old 10-31-07, 03:54 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

did you check forums of 5 series? please dont.

:-).

I sure do. I read all the BMW forums and they don't have near the problems I'm seeing here. I'm currently driving a 2007 that is trouble free....like the 2 I had before that. I'm quite satisfied with BMW quality.

Old 10-31-07, 04:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rjm
I sure do. I read all the BMW forums and they don't have near the problems I'm seeing here. I'm currently driving a 2007 that is trouble free....like the 2 I had before that. I'm quite satisfied with BMW quality.

you dont see ppl posting issues about BMW? I looked the other day in 335i forums and it was full of issues... Serious ones too. Like fuel pumps, transmissions, over heating, etc, etc. Compared to that, what you are complaining about seems quite silly.

And I have to see BMW ranked anywhere close to Lexus :-).

edit: bimmerfest, 1st page of 5 series forum:
- 2004 545i: service engine light: transmission problem. weird sounds, jerking.
- 2007 530i: Vanos lifter noise. Changed the engine, still the same.
- 2006 535xi: BMW Assist Failed. service cant find part in the country.
- 2006 530xi: whine in back while coming to full stop.
- 2006 530xi: air suspension: one side of the car 3-4" higher than other
- 2008 535xi, build date of april '07 - fuel pump replaced
- 2008 535i: jerky transmission, cant select D after R

2nd page:
- 2006 550i: running rich, blowing fire and smoke :-).
- 2008 550i: TPM Malfunction light (problem with the antenna in the system)
- 2008 550i: idrive freezing sometimes, front suspension makes groaning noise in low speed turns
- 2007 530i : check engine light, o2 sensors replaced
- 2006 525i: recall done for Telematics Control Unit (TCU).

Other things like acceleration lag, squeaks in the interior, rainsensing wipers, idrive gone, etc, etc.

Looking at GS forums here... 3 pages: 3 posts about squeaks is all about issues ppl reported here.

you were saying something? I am not saying BMW's are bad, but lets put things into perspective a bit. If this happened to single lexus model, man would this forum be interesting to watch.

Last edited by spwolf; 10-31-07 at 04:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Toyota suspends sales of Rav4 following engine problems