Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Police use ground-shaking subwoofers to move traffic

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-07, 08:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Police use ground-shaking subwoofers to move traffic

Police use ground-shaking subwoofers to move traffic

Posted on Tuesday 30 October 2007

Police in the U.S. have started using a new siren that rather than blast a loud wail will shake the ground and everything on it to get motorists’ attention. Squad cars in Washington DC are currently being fitted with the new high-tech siren and other states, including New York, are likely to follow.

The siren works by projecting inaudible soundwaves that are powerful enough to shake everything around the vehicle, including the earth. The system uses two subwoofers and an amplifier to pump out soundwaves that can be felt up to 60m away. Little wonder Washington police have nicknamed it the “Rumbler.”

One officer told the The Washington Post that “it vibrates everything” and that it “definitely attracts a lot of attention.”

Motorists often totally ignore emergency vehicles because they get distracted by loud stereos or general traffic noise, something the use of the Rumbler would avoid. We’re seriously hoping the technology remains in the hands of the police. The last thing everyone needs is the hip hop crowd getting their hands on it and disrupting traffic everywhere.
via motorauthority
Old 10-30-07, 09:19 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People are just going to think it's some guy with a loud stereo and ignore it.
Old 10-30-07, 10:01 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But uhhhhh, the public CAN get these equipment. For me, I would just think it's some dood with some crazy system bumpin' it.
Old 10-30-07, 10:05 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Our tax-dollar-at-work... one way or another.
Old 10-30-07, 10:16 AM
Scythe
Lead Lap

thats pretty retarded, so now i hear a big thumping sound and my windows start shaking while im driving, and im so supposed to go, oh police car?
not - what the **** is going on, earthquake?

imo sirens and flashing lights work well enough, its just a shame cops dont use them, within the past week i've seen highway patrol cars going well over 100 mph without any sort of warning light or noise on
Old 10-30-07, 10:21 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

LOL when I read the title I thought Damn! Those must be some huge subwoofers!

But seriously, the cops will be confused with almost anybody else with a system. Maybe cop cars should get airhorns like the fire trucks instead
Old 10-30-07, 10:23 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Well, it is illegal here to have your stereo shaking the ground here in Vegas!
so the police is OK to do it? duhh!
Old 10-30-07, 10:29 AM
Scythe
Lead Lap

yeah, what happened to noise control, this thing can shake the ground but wont pop my ear drums?
Old 10-30-07, 10:43 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Yeah, first thing popped in my head when I saw this thread title. What about the noise laws?

Maybe they are using these in conjuction with the lights and what not? heh.......hahahah
Old 10-30-07, 11:02 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I nominate this for the top 2007 stupid idea of the year award.

If this thing was directional then i think it would be cool but i bet this is just going to rumble everything in every direction. not very cool. low frequencies are harder to hear and it's very tough to discern the direction of the source so although the bass notes will carry further, it's just going to confuse people who are farther away.

A peripheral issue due to this "new siren" - I predict officers filing for medical leave earlier in their careers due to loss of hearing.
Old 10-30-07, 11:04 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Kudos to the person who got that approved in their department budget lol.........
Old 10-30-07, 11:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Scythe
thats pretty retarded, so now i hear a big thumping sound and my windows start shaking while im driving, and im so supposed to go, oh police car?
not - what the **** is going on, earthquake?

imo sirens and flashing lights work well enough, its just a shame cops dont use them, within the past week i've seen highway patrol cars going well over 100 mph without any sort of warning light or noise on
People will definitely think it is an earthquake if used where I live.
Old 10-30-07, 11:27 AM
skubasteev
Rookie

Originally Posted by cherplex
Kudos to the person who got that approved in their department budget lol.........
Old 10-30-07, 11:57 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

You guys talking about confusing with someone's system didn't read. The "siren" uses an inaudible frequency.

That said, this is destined for rapid failure.

1. The size of the sub required to produce constant, powerful notes below roughly 10htz is going to be upwards of 18". More than likely closer to 20". Where is that going to go in a squad car??

2. There is NO way, I repeat, NO WAY this can be durable enough to maintain it's integrity AND survive the daily abuses a squard car gets.

3. Power. Deep cycle marine batteries?? Cop cars already run HO alternators and such. What's going to power this beast? Amplifiers?? The power required to use this "siren" will be substantial. Fitting an amp or some such power supply raises the question again of space and the vehicles electrical system.
Old 10-30-07, 07:30 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

You guys talking about confusing with someone's system didn't read. The "siren" uses an inaudible frequency.
inaudible or not, i will freak out if everything around me starts shaking and vibrating, my windows start rattling, and scraps in the road start jumping off the ground... sounds to me like accidents waiting to happen, think of cars on a highway going 70 and all of a sudden everything starts shaking? i bet at least one ****ty driver will swerve and cause a pile-up =)

and regardless of inaubile or not, cant sounds that loud cause alot of damage to ear drums and hearing?