Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Early Look: 2010 BMW 7 Series

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-07, 05:45 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Early Look: 2010 BMW 7 Series

These computer renderings offer an early look at the 2010 BMW 7 Series.

The new 7 Series gets a sportier look, but keeps its large rear end.

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — Spy photographers are now offering an early look at the 2010 BMW 7 Series, the first major redesign for BMW's flagship since 2002. Recent spy shots indicate sportier styling with a new front grille, and a wider and lower hood.

Previous spy photos indicated that the new sedan doesn't appear to be much larger than the current 7 Series, but the car is expected to ride on a slightly stretched wheelbase. A long-wheelbase version will be available as well.

Both versions of the 2010 7 Series will use a new twin-turbo V8 with displacement around 4.0 liters, and a power rating close to 400 horsepower. A six-speed automatic transmission will continue to send the power to the rear wheels.

The new 7 Series is expected to begin production in late 2008 or early 2009, with cars heading to the European market first.

What this means to you: Some considered the 2002 7 Series downright ugly. Let's hope BMW gets it right this time.
Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=123229#2
Old 10-31-07, 08:03 AM
layla17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks a lot better than the 2002 style. I think it's interesting how they offer two types of wheel bases too.
Old 10-31-07, 08:28 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Im surprised that BMW hasn't jumped on the AWD bandwagon yet with the LS, S class, and A8 having done so.
Old 10-31-07, 08:29 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Much better. The current 7 is the worst looking car in its class, by far.

4.0L twin-turbo V8? I guess BMW is going the turbo route for many of its cars now? Not a bad idea, if its anything like the set-up in the 335i. Great power, little turbo lag, decent fuel efficiency, and easily/cheaply modded.
Old 10-31-07, 08:47 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Nice design, but way too safe. This is a 2010 design which means it will probably run up until 2017. I would hope in 10 years from now, luxury designs would be much more cutting edge and unique than this. This is just too plain looking to be relevant against what MB, Lexus, Audi, & Infiniti might have out at that point.
Old 10-31-07, 09:03 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I'm not moved. I was hoping for something more aggressive along the lines of the CS concept.

http://car-reviews.automobile.com/BM...ncept-cs/2835/
Old 10-31-07, 10:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Still looks too similar to the current, I was hoping it will take more cues from the CS concept . . .
Old 10-31-07, 11:07 AM
LexFather

This is BMW. They do a revolutionary style, then follow with an evolutionary one.
This makes perfect sense. The 7 already got touched up and looks tons better. The early models interiors and exteriors have aged poorly IMO (and to Sports Car International).

I like this preview.

BMW, Benz and Lexus have the panache that people will buy thier flagships day in day out. Those 3 flagships have proven their worth to these high level consumers.

Old 10-31-07, 11:09 AM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by layla17
I think it's interesting how they offer two types of wheel bases too.
Why? They do it on the current one, the one before the current one, and the one before that.
Old 10-31-07, 11:19 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is BMW. They do a revolutionary style, then follow with an evolutionary one.
Ok, but 15 years with more or less the same body style is ridiculous in this day and age. This design is boring and uninspired.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
BMW, Benz and Lexus have the panache that people will buy thier flagships day in day out. Those 3 flagships have proven their worth to these high level consumers.
And the Audi A8.
Audi - the world's #3 luxury automaker, followed by Lexus at #4. While, I'm sure this 7 series will sell, it will not stand out in the crowd amongst the others. It's just too plain, IMO.
Old 10-31-07, 11:28 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
And the Audi A8.
Audi - the world's #3 luxury automaker, followed by Lexus at #4. While, I'm sure this 7 series will sell, it will not stand out in the crowd amongst the others. It's just too plain, IMO.
Don't get me wrong, I love the A8, at think it's way better looking than LS, 7 or S class, however it's sales numbers are almost as pathetic as Q45. Why? That's beyond me.

As far as Luxury automakers, out of the four, Lexus is the only true luxury automaker. Most of what MB, BMW and Audi sell in Europe doesn't even compare to Scion xA too well, never mind Lexus.
Old 10-31-07, 11:36 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

major redesign? Not enough.
But the engine caught my eyes.
Old 10-31-07, 11:44 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
As far as Luxury automakers, out of the four, Lexus is the only true luxury automaker. Most of what MB, BMW and Audi sell in Europe doesn't even compare to Scion xA too well, never mind Lexus.

OK. I gotta challenge you on that one. Please explain.
Old 10-31-07, 11:53 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
Don't get me wrong, I love the A8, at think it's way better looking than LS, 7 or S class, however it's sales numbers are almost as pathetic as Q45. Why? That's beyond me.
Too pricey, IMO. They need to take a page out of Lexus's book and lower prices a bit to attract more customers. Sell more A8s, build up their reputation a bit and slowly raise prices. I think the reason why the A8 doesn't sell in this country has alot to do with the fact that nobody ever sees these cars on the road. Not enough people own them and there isn't much conversation going on about them in general. Audi needs to realize that they don't have nearly the reputation that MB & BMW have here and should just suck it up and lower their prices.

Originally Posted by Och
Good point
The others cover everything else in between - those vehicles which would be sold as "Toyotas" in those markets.
Old 10-31-07, 11:55 AM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
That is definitely not true. Even if you take away worldwide sales of every single 1-Series, 3-Series and Mini cars model sold, BMW STILL outsells Lexus worldwide. Those three cars are the CHEAPEST cars BMW sells and the highest selling. If Scion has cars that can compete with cars like the 5-Series and above, then point me in the right direction because I'm lost.

Quick Reply: Early Look: 2010 BMW 7 Series