Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

R&T Test: Cadillac CTS vs. Infiniti G35 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-07, 02:40 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I live in the middle of the "flyover states" (Il), and there are Lexus, Infiniti's, BMW's, MB's, etc., etc. EVERYWHERE.
I wasn't referring to Illinois, I was referring to the bible belt. Middle America will not buy Japanese products as those who live in states such as California, New York, Illinois, Florida, etc.

If you don't believe me, do your research on where Lexus & Infiniti sell most of their cars & SUVs.
Old 10-31-07, 02:42 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=1SICKLEX;3024942] I am shocked at the prices of new Lexus vehicles which many times are on par or more than the Germans, and people continue to ****** them up.

QUOTE]

You've got that right. I have been shopping for a large sedan and the LS still can be a good value but equipped the way I want them, it is a dead heat with an A8 and a 7 is not far off. The leases on the 7 are much better than you can do on the LS. Of course, MB is still quite a ways up but that is just the way it always has been.

As for the question as to how well the CTS will hold its value, I assume that had something to do with trick or treat for Halloween.
Old 10-31-07, 02:53 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy101
I'm confused. The base G35 weights 3497 pounds. How did they get a car that weights 3790 pounds? Does the sport package really add 300 pounds to the car? If so, I can see a non-Sport G35 auto doing 5.1s 0-60. 300 pounds is pretty significant.
maybe they count the driver too? 300 pound driver and testing equipments?
Old 10-31-07, 02:57 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Ignore him, he has no clue and yet to post anything resembling a fact. He states Caddy is priced below the Germans and Japanese when in this VERY comparo, the CTS is 8 grand MORE than the G35. If anything Caddys are on par or more expensive than the competition. Every post just loses value. Its sad
Don't pick and choose what you want to quote me on. Quote me accurately or don't quote me at all. I said price and location were factors in why Cadillac does so well in this country.

The CTS starts at 32k
The DTS starts at 42k
The STS starts at 43k

The G35 starts at 31k

The CTS, as others have pointed out, doesn't really compete against the G, TL, & IS class, but more the M, GS, & 5 series class. We're basing this on size and features. Having said that, let's compare the prices, shall we?

CTS starts at 32k
M starts at 41k
GS starts at 44k
5 series starts at 44k

There's a reason why Cadillac has stated that they are considering adding a sedan in their lineup below the CTS. Probably because they realize that the CTS isn't competing against the other entry level sedans, all of which are more compact in size.

Regardless of the CTS though, the fact is Cadillac offers no sedans above 43k at this point. MB, BMW, Audi, etc, do offer sedans above 43k. So sure, at that price point, they're going to outsell those that cost 50k +.

And you say that Cadillac are more expensive than the competition, eh? Give me some of what you're smoking.

Last edited by LetMeShowU; 10-31-07 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-31-07, 03:03 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

TO ME, CTS is only compare to G35, IS350, 3, a4 etc...
5, GS, M, RL, a6 are in same class.
Old 10-31-07, 03:08 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rjm
I'm always interested in the total cost to drive it. Resale on BMW's is excellent. I wonder how resale would be on a CTS or an Infiniti? In the past, it hasn't been that great.
2008 ALG Residual Value Awards

Automotive Lease Guide has announced its annual Residual Value Awards, which honor those vehicles in each automotive segment predicted to retain the highest percentage of their original price after a conventional three-year lease term.

This year's awards are based on 2008 model year vehicles. For the sixth year, ALG has also included awards for the brands with the highest predicted resale values among all industry and luxury vehicles. The awards are derived after careful study of segment competition, historical vehicle performance and industry trends. Award winners are featured on ALG.com and other automotive publications and websites dedicated to bringing the industry's best-performing models into the public eye.

ALG's 2008 Brand Study

Infiniti USA won the Luxury Brand Residual Value Award for the first time – also the first time any company other than BMW or Lexus has won the overall Luxury award. In addition, Infiniti won the Near Luxury segment award for the G35/G37.

Luxury Brand Residual Value Rankings

1. Infiniti
2. Lexus
3. BMW
4. Acura
5. Porsche
6. Mercedes-Benz
7. Land Rover
8. Audi

This is primarily leases but it has a bearing on resale value.
Old 10-31-07, 04:30 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
Don't pick and choose what you want to quote me on. Quote me accurately or don't quote me at all. I said price and location were factors in why Cadillac does so well in this country.

The CTS starts at 32k
The DTS starts at 42k
The STS starts at 43k

The G35 starts at 31k

The CTS, as others have pointed out (NO ONE HAS MADE THAT POINT), doesn't really compete against the G, TL, & IS class, but more the M, GS, & 5 series class. We're basing this on size and features. Having said that, let's compare the prices, shall we?
WELL IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO THAT, THEN PUT THE G35 AND TL IN THIS SAME CLASS AS THE CTS. BECAUSE YOU CANNOT PUT THE CTS IN THERE AND NOT THE OTHER 2 CARS.
CTS starts at 32k
G35 starts at 32k
TL starts at 32k

M starts at 41k
GS starts at 44k
5 series starts at 44k

There's a reason why Cadillac has stated that they are considering adding a sedan in their lineup below the CTS. Probably because they realize that the CTS isn't competing against the other entry level sedans, all of which are more compact in size.
You again, show you don't know much about the business. Cadillac has a sub CTS, the BLS in Europe. Sadly its FWD and Saab based. It has gotten bashed in EVO and CAR.

Regardless of the CTS though, the fact is Cadillac offers no sedans above 43k at this point. MB, BMW, Audi, etc, do offer sedans above 43k. So sure, at that price point, they're going to outsell those that cost 50k +.

And you say that Cadillac are more expensive than the competition, eh? Give me some of what you're smoking.

Stop posting and really, just stop. Just stop. Cadillac has the STS and DTS and XLR starting over 43k. Cadillac has a 100k car in the XLR-V.

READ
http://www.cadillac.com/index.jsp?noredirect=true

You continue to show you have no knowledge about cars. None. You just spout of ridiculous opinions and no facts or data.

Anyone here can see I have refuted everything you have said with facts. This is to easy.

Read up.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=cadillac

Cadillac sells more vehicles over $42,000 than any other luxury brand.

The best ...
Cadillac 182,727---78%

Mercedes-Benz 156,466---70.7%
Lexus 152,223---52.9%
Lincoln 133,603---96.1%
BMW 129,895---49.9%

... and the rest
Acura 56,535---28.4%
Infiniti 32,690---25%
Porsche 31,473---100%
Audi 29,725---38.2%
Hummer 29,345---100%
Land Rover 25,497---71.8%
Volvo 24,962---17.9%
Jaguar 24,333---53%
Saab 6,352---16.7%

Old 10-31-07, 04:35 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

lot of people here respect you, 1sick, including me.
Old 10-31-07, 04:45 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toy4two
who cares, they all lose to the BMW 335i.
I've only had my 335i w/ sport package for a week or so now but I can tell you that while it's a BLAST to drive in all regards, I can absolutely see how it'd be too much for many people - very stiff ride and kinda 'cold' interior, plus it gets a bit expensive w/ options. I think this is the best car on the market for people interested in having fun with their car, but definitely not the best for those looking for value or comfort.
Old 10-31-07, 04:48 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
I've only had my 335i w/ sport package for a week or so now but I can tell you that while it's a BLAST to drive in all regards, I can absolutely see how it'd be too much for many people - very stiff ride and kinda 'cold' interior, plus it gets a bit expensive w/ options. I think this is the best car on the market for people interested in having fun with their car, but definitely not the best for those looking for value or comfort.
7 aims at a different customer than a sport package 335.
Old 10-31-07, 04:55 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RON430
7 aims at a different customer than a sport package 335.
True, but the 7 is not at all in the same size and price class as the other cars being discussed in this thread...
Old 10-31-07, 05:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I wasn't referring to Illinois, I was referring to the bible belt. Middle America will not buy Japanese products as those who live in states such as California, New York, Illinois, Florida, etc.

If you don't believe me, do your research on where Lexus & Infiniti sell most of their cars & SUVs.
OK....if you won't listen to 1SICKLEX (who DOES know his cars ), then let me try and make a point.

The days you are referring to are long gone. People who think like that are living in the 1960's and 70's....and have their heads buried in the sand like ostriches. The auto industry today is global. Many so-called "Japanese" and "German" vehicles are not only sold here but actually BUILT here...yes, in plants scattered throughout the South and Midwest. The height of ignorance is for small-town people in the Midwest or South (or anywhere else in the country, for that matter) to go around saying "I ain't gonna buy me a FUR-EIGN auto-MO-bile...why it just ain't AMAR-ICAN. No, sir.....I got to git me a car built in these good-Ol' EYU-nited States." Never mind the fact that not twenty miles away, at that very moment, their neighbors in the very next town may be in a plant helping to build a new Toyota, Honda, BMW, Mazda, Nissan, Mercedes, etc...

It is a sad but inescapable fact that this kind of nonsense for automotive reasoning still exists....I had to deal with it myself with my own uncle in Indiana. He tried to talk my own brother out of buying a Honda Civic (the old Un-American excuse).....ignorant of the fact that they were built not far away at Marysville, OH, or the fact that just a few miles away at Lafayette, IN, new Subarus and Isuzus roll out the plant there (now some Camrys do, too, since Toyota bought into Subaru). I myself bought a new Subaru Outback built at the Lafayette plant.....and love it. And...guess what? The "Japanese" Isuzu Ascender built there....you know what it REALLY is? Yes....a rebadged, GM-designed Chevy Trail Blazer. And the Isuzu I-270 and I-350 pickups?......Rebadged Chevy Colorado mid-size pickups.

I know this line of thought deviates a little from the main subject at hand.....the new CTS.....but it needs to be brought up to make a point. The automotive reasoning that may have made sense 30 and 40 years ago simply doesn't fly....or drive....any more. It CAN'T.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-31-07 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-31-07, 06:24 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This statement doesn't make much sense. Can you please elaborate?

It's no surprise to me that the Infiniti G35 beat up the CTS in this comparo. The only thing the new CTS has going for it over the competition IMO is the interior, which is very very nice indeed. Other than that though, I can't see why anyone would pick it over the G35 or the TL or the 3 series or even the IS.
I think the new CTS looks awesome inside and out. 300 hp, roomy, classy. It's got quite a bit going for it, actually. Negatives are reliability, trying to shake the Caddy old man's car reputation, and higher price (but, come March, I bet there will be lots of deals available).
Old 10-31-07, 06:31 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=RON430;3024988]
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am shocked at the prices of new Lexus vehicles which many times are on par or more than the Germans, and people continue to ****** them up.

QUOTE]

You've got that right. I have been shopping for a large sedan and the LS still can be a good value but equipped the way I want them, it is a dead heat with an A8 and a 7 is not far off. The leases on the 7 are much better than you can do on the LS. Of course, MB is still quite a ways up but that is just the way it always has been.

As for the question as to how well the CTS will hold its value, I assume that had something to do with trick or treat for Halloween.

That may be so for MSRP, but look at the IS. there's a thread in this forum with a poll "Discount off MSRP". the majority of people responded 3-4000 off MSRP. While I understand that the poll may not be scientific, I don't think BMWs 3's get the same discounts as IS's do.

As far as the LS goes--it's newer than the 7. But I still see them everywhere. It seems from my casual observation that these are selling like hotcakes. Lexus doesn't need to discount them. the 7 series, however, had to have its styling "softened" after harsh criticism. And, the best comment I have ever read about iDrive is--"it's not so bad after you get used to it." Ever read that about a Japanese nav/infotainment system??

The population of "enthusiast" drivers that are buying a 7 series for its handling/performance is much smaller than most of us on this forum think.
Old 10-31-07, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I think the new CTS looks awesome inside and out. 300 hp, roomy, classy. It's got quite a bit going for it, actually. Negatives are reliability, trying to shake the Caddy old man's car reputation, and higher price (but, come March, I bet there will be lots of deals available).
Two things. First, just because a lot of old people buy Cadillacs doesn't make the brand necessarily an "old person's" car. That is an inaccurate stereotype that has been fed by the automotive press....like the so-called "stigma" of driving a minivan. There is no reason whatsoever why young people (if they have the money) cannot drive Cadillacs, even the pre-CTS models, or anyone who actually needs minivan space and hauling ability can't drive one.

Second, it is true that previous CTS models varied from average to below average in reliability (depending on year), but let's see how this new model fares out with time.....and it is obvious that far more care went into the design and execution of this model than the previous one, especially the interior.

Quick Reply: R&T Test: Cadillac CTS vs. Infiniti G35 Sport