Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

R&T Test: Cadillac CTS vs. Infiniti G35 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-07, 07:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Threxx
I've only had my 335i w/ sport package for a week or so now but I can tell you that while it's a BLAST to drive in all regards, I can absolutely see how it'd be too much for many people - very stiff ride and kinda 'cold' interior, plus it gets a bit expensive w/ options. I think this is the best car on the market for people interested in having fun with their car, but definitely not the best for those looking for value or comfort.
Didn't know you got it Did I miss the thread? Post some pics!!

Old 10-31-07, 07:08 PM
LexFather

[QUOTE=tex2670;3025425]
Originally Posted by RON430

That may be so for MSRP, but look at the IS. there's a thread in this forum with a poll "Discount off MSRP". the majority of people responded 3-4000 off MSRP. While I understand that the poll may not be scientific, I don't think BMWs 3's get the same discounts as IS's do.

As far as the LS goes--it's newer than the 7. But I still see them everywhere. It seems from my casual observation that these are selling like hotcakes. Lexus doesn't need to discount them. the 7 series, however, had to have its styling "softened" after harsh criticism. And, the best comment I have ever read about iDrive is--"it's not so bad after you get used to it." Ever read that about a Japanese nav/infotainment system??

The population of "enthusiast" drivers that are buying a 7 series for its handling/performance is much smaller than most of us on this forum think.
Hey tex. It was revealed to the public on average BMWs have the highest incentives per car. And we know their lease rates are unmatched.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=incentives

"BMW's discounting practice in the U.S. leaves us speechless. Since May 2006, BMW has offered structurally higher incentives compared to its peers and there appears to be no light at the end of the tunnel," Frankfurt, Germany-based Dresdner Kleinwort said in a report.

"Incentives stand at an average of $4,125 per vehicle, which is about 60 percent higher compared to Mercedes ($2,573) and Audi ($2,607). Most of these discounts are related to BMW's active move into competitive lease deals," the report said.

Old 10-31-07, 07:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
I've only had my 335i w/ sport package for a week or so now but I can tell you that while it's a BLAST to drive in all regards, I can absolutely see how it'd be too much for many people - very stiff ride and kinda 'cold' interior, plus it gets a bit expensive w/ options. I think this is the best car on the market for people interested in having fun with their car, but definitely not the best for those looking for value or comfort.
Yes.....congragulations from me too. PM me with your mailing address if you want a complementary bottle of SCRATCH-OUT to keep the paint like new.
Old 10-31-07, 10:27 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Stop posting and really, just stop. Just stop. Cadillac has the STS and DTS and XLR starting over 43k. Cadillac has a 100k car in the XLR-V.

READ
http://www.cadillac.com/index.jsp?noredirect=true
Who said anything about the XLR-V or about any of the V models in general? I wasn't referring to niche/limited production models.

I said sedans, meaning their regular lineup of sedans. Read before you respond to me. Cadillac's most expensive sedan, the STS, starts at only 43k. No where near S-Class, 7 Series, or A8 territory.

And I couldn't care less about a report that came out 2 and a half years ago, which is probably based on Escalade-crazed sales, more than anything else. After all these years in the business, Cadillac still can't compete with the likes of the germans (again, not referring to V-model/limited production models).

Let them come out with a sedan that costs 80k and we'll see how many units they move per month, ok?
Old 10-31-07, 10:44 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK....if you won't listen to 1SICKLEX (who DOES know his cars ), then let me try and make a point.

The days you are referring to are long gone. People who think like that are living in the 1960's and 70's....
I agree. I'm not saying it's right, but those people still exist. Things have changed some, but if we're keeping things accurate here, the majority of the % of Lexus/Infiniti sales come in states like California, New York, Massachusetts, & Florida, and not in states like Tennessee, Indiana, Missouri, & Oklahoma.

I would love to see a chart of the number of luxury cars sold in oh let's say, Alabama & Louisiana and compare the % of Cadillacs sold vs. Lexus & Infiniti and then compare that % with those sold in California.

Again, I am not agreeing with the mentality of those that live in some of the middle states, but those people do still exist and they do still "only buy American".
Old 11-01-07, 04:35 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Two things. First, just because a lot of old people buy Cadillacs doesn't make the brand necessarily an "old person's" car. That is an inaccurate stereotype that has been fed by the automotive press....like the so-called "stigma" of driving a minivan. There is no reason whatsoever why young people (if they have the money) cannot drive Cadillacs, even the pre-CTS models, or anyone who actually needs minivan space and hauling ability can't drive one.

Second, it is true that previous CTS models varied from average to below average in reliability (depending on year), but let's see how this new model fares out with time.....and it is obvious that far more care went into the design and execution of this model than the previous one, especially the interior.
I'm not going to pass judgment on what's an old man's car or isn't. But if perception is reality, and Caddy has an old man's car stereotype, then how would you describe it? Caddy has been overtly trying to attract younger buyers--and they are doing a good job of it, but I see, in my casual observations, the bulk of those younger drivers are driving Escalades, not CTSs or STSs.

And, as far as reliability, we, as consumers, should be fed up "waiting" for Caddy and most other American car companies, to make a car that is reliable right out of the box. If I'm in the market for a car this year, why shouldn't I expect that I can walk into a Caddy dealer and not think that I should wait 2 years to get this CTS to make sure it's reliable?

Last edited by tex2670; 11-01-07 at 04:41 AM.
Old 11-01-07, 05:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
I agree. I'm not saying it's right, but those people still exist. Things have changed some, but if we're keeping things accurate here, the majority of the % of Lexus/Infiniti sales come in states like California, New York, Massachusetts, & Florida, and not in states like Tennessee, Indiana, Missouri, & Oklahoma.

I would love to see a chart of the number of luxury cars sold in oh let's say, Alabama & Louisiana and compare the % of Cadillacs sold vs. Lexus & Infiniti and then compare that % with those sold in California.

Again, I am not agreeing with the mentality of those that live in some of the middle states, but those people do still exist and they do still "only buy American".
I think the lack of imported luxury cars in small/rural markets is due more to the lack of dealers than a strictly buy American mindset. In these small markets there isn't the population and disposable income to support these brands or their dealers. Drive through St. Louis, Indy, Nashville, Tulsa. New Orleans etc. and you will see plenty of imported luxury cars. That's where the sufficient population is. In smaller markets that can support Honda, Toyota and Nissan dealerships you see a lot of their cars, trucks and SUV's.
Old 11-01-07, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
And, as far as reliability, we, as consumers, should be fed up "waiting" for Caddy and most other American car companies, to make a car that is reliable right out of the box. If I'm in the market for a car this year, why shouldn't I expect that I can walk into a Caddy dealer and not think that I should wait 2 years to get this CTS to make sure it's reliable?
Well, in general, time and miles are usually the only way that you can gauge a car's potential reliability. Consumer Reports, for example, who IMO does the best job of all in reliability tracking, won't publish any reliability figures for at least a year or so after a new or extensively redesigned model's introduction.

In most cases, reliability figures don't change drastically in short periods of time. But irregularities do occur. Hyundai products, which had languished for years with very low reliability ratings, improved rapidly after the late 1990's...and are still improving. Several Buick products have recently shown great improvement as well. Mercedes-Benz products, in general, once among the best, declined rapidly after the mid-1990's. Several Toyota and Lexus products, also for years at the top of the charts, have recently and suddenly shown a decline.

So, while I agree that the new CTS looks promising on the surface, none of us can prematurely wave a magic wand and see its potential reliability several years down the road.......only time will show that.