Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

R&T Test: Cadillac CTS vs. Infiniti G35 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-07, 11:04 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R&T: Cadillac CTS vs Infiniti G35 Sport 12/2007

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6147

Data Sheet: http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d..._CTSvsG35S.pdf

It's good to be king. While this phrase was probably first spoken in ancient Egypt by Tutankhamen in a moment of self-indulgence, when it's applied to BMW's 5 Series — considered the benchmark in corner-devouring, roomy sports sedans — it fits like a custom-tailored sarcophagus.

But history has shown that kings aren't invincible or immortal, and have been deposed, dethroned or, in the case of young Tut, apparently whacked in the back of the head with some heavy object. Enter the new Cadillac CTS and Infiniti G35 Sport, two V-6-powered, rear-drive aspirants to the 535i's throne that come in at base prices around $15,000 lower than the twin-turbo inline-6 Wünderkind from Munich, yet offer many of the same amenities and make the same power...even a bit more. Now, we're not going as far as saying these newcomers are equals of the BMW, only that they are reasonable facsimiles at considerably lower cost. In the interest of price context, we've tested and evaluated the 535i in a nearby sidebar, but have let the Infiniti and Cadillac grapple with each other one-on-one.

So as they'd say in another ancient civilization (Greece), let the games begin, our venue being a twisty loop south of Julian, California, that wends past Lake Cuyamaca on Route 79; then into a series of plunging switchbacks; and finally to S1, the Sunrise Highway that clings to the ridge of Mt. Laguna at more than 6000 ft. and affords a view of the distant Salton Sea. Inhaling these roads like a long drag on a cheap cigarette, these sedans were in their element, and after much hard driving, soul-searching and careful contemplation, Andrew Bornhop and I formed some strong opinions and picked a winner in an extremely hard-fought competition.

Cadillac CTS [Automatic]
386.2 points

Like no other automaker in recent memory, Cadillac has thoroughly reinvented itself in the performance vein, and perhaps its brightest accomplishment has been the CTS. Now in its second generation, this rear-drive sedan carries forth the faceted, Stealth-fighter bodywork on a strengthened Sigma chassis that's a full 2.0 in. wider than before. Two 3.6-liter V-6s are offered, and our test car is fitted with the more powerful direct-injected version (304 bhp at 6300 rpm) paired with a GM Hydra-Matic 6-speed, with sequential shifting summoned from the console-mounted lever.

Slideshow >>
So inside, there's considerably more shoulder and elbow room than before. But you might not notice that at first, because the overwhelming impression is that the interior is so much better. Remember the old CTS's dash, the black monolith at its center so evocative of that scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey you'd swear there were small, hairy primates scurrying around its base? The new treatment is upscale and theatrical, with big round dials in cylindrical chrome-tipped shrouds, covered with a curved hood. The upper dash is covered in a rich-looking black pseudo-leather, complete with a stitched seam, that carries into the door panels, and accented below with wood. The center stack is now a dramatic silver-finish wedge flanked by vertical air vents, and the nav/infotainment touch screen (which electrically retracts into the dash) has easy-on-the-eyes graphics.

Tug the wheel (a thick 3-spoker, trimmed with leather and wood) and bend the CTS into a turn, and you're met with surprising composure and grip, no doubt helped by our car's FE3 suspension calibration, the associated bigger brakes (13.6-in. rotors up front) and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, size 235/50ZR-18. "The chassis is not quite as agile-feeling as the G35's," noted Bornhop, "but it needs to make no apologies on a twisty road, which is an amazing thing to say about a Cadillac." Body roll is minimal, and the CTS's development time at the Nürburgring certainly helped with the shock valving, "particularly on some of our route's bumpy high-speed sweepers," added Andy. If there are weaknesses, they include steering that feels a little more numb than the last CTS, and the small stutter-steps the CTS's suspension makes under braking over smaller pavement ripples, most noticeable in the tighter turns of our evaluation loop.

The Caddy is slightly larger and heavier (by 360 lb.) than the G35, and that heft shows up in seat-of-the-pants feel and at the test track. Still, a 0–60 run of 6.0 seconds and a quarter mile of 14.5 sec. ain't chopped liver, but it's not the G35 Sport's filet mignon either. In other tests, the CTS nipped closely at the Infiniti's heels — its slalom speed of 66.6 mph was less than 1 mph slower, and its braking distances were, at most, a third of a car-length longer than its Japanese rival's. The CTS's StabiliTrak yaw control deserves special mention (and praise) in that its threshold is set quite high, as it should be in a performance sedan. In our hard driving on the road, neither Andy nor I could feel it intervene.

Slideshow >>
In cruise mode, the CTS shows increased refinement to match other areas, such as commendably low noise levels, especially considering its aggressive tires. Shift shock is minimal, and in sequential mode, the 6-speed does an admirable job of rev-matching downshifts, although we wish the kick-down reaction was quicker when left in Drive. The leather-clad seats are comfortable and, though not quite as supportive as the Infiniti's, were judged to be less confining and better for the long haul. Two irksome things we noticed: The CTS is more difficult to see out of, with its high, upward-sweeping beltline, tall trunk and commensurately smaller rear and side glass areas. And, although you wouldn't notice this unless cornering very hard, the plastic door-panel and center-console areas you brace your legs against tend to creak with increasing side load.

Don't get us wrong: We like the CTS a lot. It's a hoot on a winding back road, and its dramatic style is fresh and cutting-edge, from its locomotive shovel nose to its vertical taillights with distinctive LED light tubes. It simply won't be mistaken for anything else in the traffic mix. Perhaps most important, the new CTS shows that GM's concentrated efforts to improve interior quality are paying off.
Old 10-30-07, 11:05 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Second Part...continued

Infiniti G35 Sport [Automatic]
391.1 points

Like the pro football player who excelled on the high school varsity team, the original G35 showed early signs of greatness. The Infiniti strong-armed all comers in a comparison test of 11 sports sedans back in July 2002 ("The Best of All Worlds Bunch"), a performance worthy of a letterman jacket. And with this second-generation car, Infiniti builds on that solid base, using a stiffer, reinforced version of the FM platform (Front Midship, referring to the engine location), a stronger and higher-revving 3.5-liter variant of the VQ V-6, and styling makeovers to the exterior and interior that, though not revolutionary, are pleasingly modern.

We're concerned with the Sport version here, which adds a little muscle tone with 18-in. alloy wheels with 245-mm-section rear tires and 225 fronts (base G35s have 17-inchers and 225s all around), a viscous limited-slip differential, a unique front fascia and side sills, larger brakes (13.0-in. rotors at all corners), sport seats and magnesium paddle shifters for the 5-speed automatic.

Jump in, start driving and by the third switchback, it's obvious the G35 Sport lives for cornering. The weighting in its steering builds up naturally, and there's ample feedback from the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires. In transitions, it more seamlessly flows from one corner to the next, in a way the CTS approaches but can't quite match. Its relative narrowness and lighter weight no doubt aid in the feeling of increased agility, and ultimate grip of 0.88g narrowly out-centrifuges the Cadillac. "More willing to change direction at a moment's notice...its handling has no real vices," opined Bornhop. Of course, there's a downside to this directness, as the ride is jouncier; and more tire rumble makes its way through the structure, especially on poorly surfaced roads. It's never objectionable...just more vocal than the CTS.

Peruse the performance data, and it's nearly a G35 rout. Handling and braking numbers are closer contests, but the G35 leaps off the line with conviction, with a resultant 5.3-sec. sprint to 60 mph and a 13.8-sec. quarter mile at 102.9 mph that leaves the CTS swirling in its wake. The soundtrack during acceleration is better, too: a resonant exhaust note and the satisfying chunk of induction noise.

The G35's biggest flaw is that it leaves the line a little too eagerly, and Infiniti says a fix for its light-switch throttle is in the works for 2008. But that's quickly forgotten once you start up- and down-clicking those lovely magnesium shift paddles, which are column-mounted, generously sized and ideally positioned. As with the CTS, the G35's e-throttle automatically blips on downshifts to match revs. The Infiniti's transmission has one fewer gear than the Cadillac's but it more than makes up for the shortfall with boat-loads of midrange torque. The G35 always seems ready to pull at the reins, where the CTS sometimes feels caught with its powerband down.

Inside, the G35 can't match the Cadillac's razzle-dazzle, but is handsomely styled and solidly constructed, with aluminum accents on the dash and door panels whose etched finish is supposed to emulate the multidirectional fibers in Washi, a handmade Japanese paper. Whatever. Less abstruse are the sport seats, with perforated leather inserts and manually-extendable thigh cushions, that are ultra-supportive but may be uncomfortable if you're bigger than the average bear. Universally admired were the gauge faces accented in violet (a color the Japanese associate with royalty) mounted in a pod that moves with the steering column, and the center-dash display that offers big numerical readouts for radio stations, temperatures, etc. The seat adjustment switches have mercifully been relocated to the outboard side of the seat base (the first-generation car had them on the top surface of the inboard bolster, where they'd be blocked by your thigh).

The G35's exterior styling, while a nice, more curvaceous update from the original's, looks suitably sporty but lacks the Caddy's curb appeal. The more upright greenhouse with its slimmer pillars does help outward vision, and the well-delineated front fender bulges aid in accurately positioning the car, whether tracking down an apex or a space in the parking lot.

So while the G35 Sport hasn't set the world on fire in terms of cutting-edge style, it is still a very good-looking and functional sedan. Its more fluent chassis, snappier drivetrain and slightly tighter structure more than compensate, making it the narrow victor in this comparison.
Old 10-31-07, 10:27 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default R&T Test: Cadillac CTS vs. Infiniti G35 Sport

***THREADS MERGED***

Cadillac CTS
0-60 - 6.0 Seconds
1/4 Mile - 14.5 @ 98.2 MPH
Skidpad - .86g
60-0 - 118 FT
4,150 LBS
17.2 MPG
$43,620

Infiniti G35
0-60 - 5.3 Seconds
1/4 Mile - 13.8 @ 102.9
Skidpad - .88g
60-0 - 116 FT
3,790 LBS
18.0 MPG
$36,800

Last edited by Gojirra99; 10-31-07 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-31-07, 10:35 AM
FUZION
Lexus Test Driver

CADDY LOOKS BETTER IN STOCK FORM.... but the g35 is a gentlemens tuner in causal gear
Old 10-31-07, 11:05 AM
LexFather

Well the CTS seems to improve but be a work in progress. SInce the IS 350 beat the G35 and TL a few months ago, I guess the CTS fights the TL more than anything.

2 things hurt the CAddy. Its price is more than 20% higher than the G35 tested and 0-60 in 6 seconds simply is at the back of the pack.

Old 10-31-07, 11:18 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally believe that the CTS would test better as a bargain alternative to the GS/M/5/E.
Old 10-31-07, 11:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
I personally believe that the CTS would test better as a bargain alternative to the GS/M/5/E.
Especially since the CTS is bigger than most of them!
Old 10-31-07, 11:23 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

g35 wins IMO,
but I have to admitt that Caddy has better interior, I have seen it in person, and sit in it, feel it... it is a lot better than the last Gen. If it is not Caddy, I might even consider buying one. ( sorry, I still can't get over the fact to get a domestic car )
Old 10-31-07, 11:25 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well the CTS seems to improve but be a work in progress. SInce the IS 350 beat the G35 and TL a few months ago, I guess the CTS fights the TL more than anything.
This statement doesn't make much sense. Can you please elaborate?

It's no surprise to me that the Infiniti G35 beat up the CTS in this comparo. The only thing the new CTS has going for it over the competition IMO is the interior, which is very very nice indeed. Other than that though, I can't see why anyone would pick it over the G35 or the TL or the 3 series or even the IS.
Old 10-31-07, 11:35 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU

It's no surprise to me that the Infiniti G35 beat up the CTS in this comparo. The only thing the new CTS has going for it over the competition IMO is the interior, which is very very nice indeed. Other than that though, I can't see why anyone would pick it over the G35 or the TL or the 3 series or even the IS.
The G35 is the more developed driving machine, no doubt, but I have to give Cadillac credit. They are very dedicated to making an American sports sedan which can look the rest of the world square in the eye. Of all American car makers they are the only ones giving this a serious effort.

I think there are a lot of people who are tired of the euro or asian style of the best cars in this class and who want something that is thoroughly modern yank in style and character.
Old 10-31-07, 11:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU

WESTERN LOGIC

If A is better than B and B better than C. Then A is better than C.

The IS won the Japanese sport comparo over the summer. Since the CTS lost to the G35 in the same magazine and the G35 lost to the IS, it would lose to the IS.

Its logic. And the G35 didn't beat it up, the scores were pretty close.

There are plenty of reasons to buy a CTS over ANYTHING in this class. Styling, interior, heritage, options, etc.

And there will be a CTS-V to compete with the IS-F, RS4, C63 and M3.

Old 10-31-07, 11:59 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

WESTERN LOGIC

The IS won the Japanese sport comparo over the summer.

Agree with most everything else you said except the above. The IS won a Japanese sport comparo, not the sport comparo. Why does it matter? Because one test is one test, not a definitive argument for all cases.
Old 10-31-07, 12:03 PM
LexFather

^^^ Its a form of logic, not the say all be all. Just a possible conclusion.
The CTS IMO, is superb, I've stated it since day one. All these comparos have small point gaps b/c all the cars are outstanding.

Old 10-31-07, 12:05 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

These cars all go back and fourth with first place. Just like when the TL-S beat both the IS350 and G35. All three are good cars, with the TL being preferred the most by consumers.
Old 10-31-07, 12:07 PM
LexFather

It is clear some of you like arguing with me b/c no one really read what I said. Instead you all chose to jump the gun and argue (over and over).

Sigh....

Quick Reply: R&T Test: Cadillac CTS vs. Infiniti G35 Sport