Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lotus reveals plans for Eagle and Esprit (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-06, 08:50 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's just a mule shell for testing the chassis and drivetrain...not the replacement design.
-.-
Old 06-23-06, 08:53 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

ah! makes sense now.
Old 06-23-06, 08:59 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
it's just a mule shell for testing the chassis and drivetrain...not the replacement design.
-.-
Thank God!

If that's the new Esprit, I'd better get out my leg warmers and Boy George cassettes...

(For our prepubescent CL members, those are dated things from the 80's )
Old 06-24-06, 07:50 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Word up... The return of a classic!
Old 06-24-06, 09:53 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Good news!!
Old 06-24-06, 10:08 AM
Yoko
Driver

Can't wait.
Old 06-24-06, 12:24 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Ahhh, my favorite Lotus........the Pretty Woman car
Hopefully the improvements will be better..........can't stand the exige.
Old 06-24-06, 04:15 PM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Good eye. My first reaction was this was just an Esprit with a wing but the proportions are different; it's stretched behind the door, etc. I used to have a Series 1 that I really enjoyed, the handling was amazing. I've seen some drawings/photoshop images that suggest what the new model may look like. Still, all us Lotus fans will be looking forward to it.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JHStrange; 06-24-06 at 04:43 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 06-25-06, 11:11 PM
Lexwang07

It's dream come true. An old Lotus Espirit were aging and old style supercar. It's old an Lotus Espirit pretty fast and sleek looking. I can't waited see real one.
Old 07-06-06, 06:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Spy Photos: New Lotus Esprit with BMW Power

New Lotus Esprit artist rendering / Copyright by Lehmann Photo-Syndication

by Hans G. Lehmann
Copyright by Lehmann Photo-Syndication
07-06-2006

advertisement

The British sports car maker Lotus – owned by Proton, Malaysia – is about to develop an all new mid-engined Lotus Esprit, due for launch in 2007.

These photos are showing the first test mule doing high speed testing at Nürburgring. It has wider fenders and a large rear wing. More important, however, is what will be underneath: the next Lotus Esprit gets a 32 valve 4.8 litre V8 engine from BMW delivering 367 HP and uses a newly developed extruded aluminium chassis and all independent suspension. The super car’s top speed is estimated to rate around 180 mph.

With US sales for this new Esprit receiving priority, Lotus will build between 1000 and 2000 units in the company’s home base Hethel in Great Britain.

The photos are showing a prototype mule plus one computer image of an artist’s impression of how the new Esprit could look like upon its release.

source : worldcarfans
-------------------------------------------------
The CGI looks pretty good to me
Old 10-10-06, 08:02 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Lotus Esprit
Text by Hans G. Lehmann
Copyright by Lehmann Photo-Syndication
10-10-2006

Spied on the road

Lotus finally is working flat out on the replacement of the legendary Esprit, which gained world fame for its roles starring in two James Bond films. Internally known by the code name MSC, the new Esprit is now expected to debut in autumn 2008 for the 2009 model year. Improvised test mules have been around for quite some time, but now, the first complete prototype has hit the roads, which gives evidence that all crucial design features of the vehicle, such as the principal structural design and manufacturing technology, packaging and drivetrain supplier have all been irrevocably decided.

MSC (mid-engined supercar) will be built around a new aluminium structure, which Lotus plans to adopt for other cars, too. Just like the Opel Speedster, the latest Europa and the Tesla Roadster mentioned below have all been derived by adaption of the Elise 111 chassis, MSC is expected to spawn another, somewhat smaller 6cyl. future Lotus sportscar, and/or a 2+2 GT car.

It is still unknown what engine will be used. Several sources have reported that Lotus has chosen to use a 4.4, or 4.8 litre V8 engine from BMW, typically individualized by Lotus with its own electronic engine management and control unit. Engine and gearbox will be mounted longitudinally, which is also demonstrated by the prototype in our images where the transmission case is plainly visible at the bottom rear end. It has been officially confirmed by Lotus that the new Esprit will not only become available as a coupe, but, for the first time, as a convertible/roadster, too. Lotus has also announced unprecedented best-of-class vehicle dynamics from lightweight design and excellent chassis/suspension tuning. All of these features give clear evidence that the new Esprit appears to be directly pitched against the Ferrari F430 coupe and spyder and the radical F430 Challenge Stradale. A price tag of EUR/USD 130,000 is expected, which will be significantly up from that of the previous Esprit. The heavily disguised Esprit prototype has been caught undergoing high-altitude and brake testing in the Alps.
source : worldcarfans

Last edited by Gojirra99; 10-10-06 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-10-06, 02:12 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

mmm i like the one in the blue more than the one in the yellow

yellow one looks more like a lambo

has anyone got a pic of the new espirit's rear without the camo?

btw i had no idea that lotus is owned by Proton
thats pretty shocking to me...
Old 10-11-06, 09:22 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Cant wait too see it back on the road.

i just hope too god it will handle the same or better than the Elise / Exige.

Too me the Lotus Elise / Exige handling is its league of its own.
Old 02-07-07, 08:18 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default 2009 Lotus Esprit Spyshots

An anonymous tipster to AutoGespot, a car spotting website, has managed to get the best pictures yet of Lotus’ upcoming Esprit supercar. Sources claim that the new Esprit will feature a BMW-sourced engine –there’s still some debate about whether it’ll be 4.4L or 4.8L - developing in the region of 370hp and will be able to take the new Esprit to a top speed of 290km/h.

Lotus has always been about low weight, so don’t be surprised if the new Esprit comes in at around 1200kg thanks to the use of advanced materials like aluminium and carbon fibre. The flagship Lotus is expected to cost around €110,000 and will hit a road near you towards the end of 2009. Now that VW has bought Proton, and by association Lotus, we’re pretty sure they don’t want to be sending money over to BMW for its engines. Could that mean the Esprit may get the RS4’s 420hp V8? We’ll have to wait and see.

Via Autoblog.nl
source : motorauthority
Old 02-07-07, 11:33 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It is looking good, low sleek mid engined exotic sports car look with good power, wish the new NSX continued this tradition.

Quick Reply: Lotus reveals plans for Eagle and Esprit (merged threads)