Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OCTOBER 2007 Vehicles Sales

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-07, 05:06 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
And the fact that 12% or so of Camrys go to fleet sales does not hurt either....
http://www.fleet-central.com/af/stats2007/cars_web.pdf

Actually it's 4.9% for the Accord, and 7.7% for the Camry.
Old 11-02-07, 11:16 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doug_999
Residuals - that is what plagues Audi. A serious number of these cars are leased and Audi just does not have the resale value to have impressive lease numbers.

The 7-series is in its 6th year - although it did receive a slight restyle a year or so ago. Even so, you and I both know, that in addition to residual, the newer the car in this segment (in all segments of course) the better it will do. As we have seen, BMW has not been doing the cut rate lease deals on this car like they have in the past - so not so bad keeping it in the 1,200 per month if you ask me. Still as one of the BMW loyalists on this board, if I was in the market for one of these cars the S-Class would probably get my vote although that Alpina B7 sure is sweet.....

And the fact that 12% or so of Camrys go to fleet sales does not hurt either....
I am not sure but I would guess the S class is the next oldest in this class although the A8 might be there. And of course the S class is another 20 or 30% out the door ( for the numbers I am getting at the dealers ) than the 7.

I understand about the Audi residuals and I am sure it has an effect but I have to believe there is more than that. They really are nice cars but the A8 isn't pegging anybody's desirability list. The biggest shame is that if you want a car in this class and you want to shop Japanese, you have only one choice. I haven't driven anything yet that offers less driving experience than the only Japanese offering. Another pity.
Old 11-02-07, 11:22 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I'm just amazed at the overall high numbers... makes you wonder how serious the 'credit crunch' that is talked about.

o/t I might be wrong, but I think a ton of all these foreclosures right now are investors who bought property not to live in on an ARM, the properties didn't go up in value so they couldn't sell, the ARM interest starts to go up, and they walk away.
According to my banker buddies, the real significant numbers of resets on the ARMs won't start until next year. What we have seen so far is a bunch of handwringing and the institutional investor problems which really are a different issue. In all honesty, kids have always tended to drive more car than they could afford and car financing/leasing isn't in the same boat as the subprime (code word for loans that should never have been made in the first place). Just don't know how many people did use that home equity to buy cars. Between ARMs adjusting next year, the price of oil, interest rate lotto, and investment doldrums, 2008 could be a fascinating year.

Back to the sales figures.
Old 11-02-07, 11:45 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Yaris and Versa in a dogfight for the sub-compact sales crown!
Old 11-02-07, 11:57 AM
LexFather

Acura, not looking good. Here is why.
RDX is only 1 year old
MDX is less than a year old
RL is only 3 years old and 365 sales in a month. That is just awful.
And sales are down 12%.
The TL did so well for them, the newer competition is getting the attention now. What puzzles me is why put investment in a refresh when it doesn't help keep people interested.
The TSX is the value leader, they should always have around 3k sales a month.
If they didn't add a new model (the RDX) sales would look even worse.

Old 11-02-07, 12:01 PM
LexFather

Infiniti dealers must be dying for the EX to arrive. The G35 is only 1 year old and sales are only up 25% and not even at 4k units. The brand new G37 coupe is only up 30%. These are brand new cars, you expect huge gains in the 50-100% range.
The $499 QX56 lease deal is working, 3 months in a row that truck is up.

So like Acura, they will depend on a cute-ute to pick up sales. I predict overall maybe a 10% lift in sales in 2008, mostly due to the EX.

Old 11-02-07, 12:04 PM
LexFather

BMW, wow, look at 3 and 5 sales! The bread and butter is again, doing its job. X5 sales up over 85%. That is how a new model should perform. Day in, day out, people just want BMWs. AS they add new models like the X6 and 1 series, Lexus sales crown could be in jeopardy next year or in 2009.

Old 11-02-07, 12:06 PM
LexFather

Benz,
Wow, C-class up 100%. Another new model that is performing how it should. THen look at their SUV sales. GL, ML and G-wagon all up. E-class still over 4k units, that is a lot for this class!! They have to be happy with results and a new E class is coming.

Old 11-02-07, 01:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Benz,
Wow, C-class up 100%. Another new model that is performing how it should. THen look at their SUV sales. GL, ML and G-wagon all up. E-class still over 4k units, that is a lot for this class!! They have to be happy with results and a new E class is coming.
I saw that (on C class) - I dunno for sure of course, but I think those TV ads must be working - they've really run a lot of ads to promote the new C. Car looks GREAT in those ads too.

We all know the interior is no S-class, but the car still is a great package.

MB, BMW, and Lexus are doing great, with Infiniti really having come on strong with the G in particular.
Old 11-02-07, 01:10 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Infiniti dealers must be dying for the EX to arrive. The G35 is only 1 year old and sales are only up 25% and not even at 4k units. The brand new G37 coupe is only up 30%. These are brand new cars, you expect huge gains in the 50-100% range.
The $499 QX56 lease deal is working, 3 months in a row that truck is up.

So like Acura, they will depend on a cute-ute to pick up sales. I predict overall maybe a 10% lift in sales in 2008, mostly due to the EX.
Infiniti is doing fine. Second best (after BMW) increase in calendar year percentage sales among luxury brands.

When you look at the sedans that they offer that are in the same segment as Lexus, they are very competitive in terms of sales:

IS: 45,433
G35 Sedan: 45,133

GS: 18,597
M: 17,948

The next Q is the defining step for them. No matter how good, it has no realistic chance of matching the LS's 2500 per month, but if it matches the 7 series's 1200 a month, it should be considered a success.
Old 11-02-07, 01:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Hyundai Motor America Reports October Sales

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., Nov. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Hyundai Motor America's
popular Santa Fe and Sonata vehicles posted sales increases of 15 percent
and 28 percent, respectively, for the month of October. Additionally, the
fuel-efficient Accent posted strong sales, up 32 percent over October 2006.
Overall, sales for the month were relatively flat at 30,232, compared with
30,479 one year ago.
The reason the Sonata and Accent are doing do well is their astounding values for what you get....and, of course, the quality is there now, unlike the past. People who go to Hyundai dealerships to see them (and I know...I have shopped with a number of them myself) are often amazed at what they can get for their money. My Union President (before I retired) who asked me to go shopping wth him...he took home a brand-new Sonata V6, 5-speed auto, full power package, cruise control, A/C, ABS, stability control, a nice stereo and C/D, tax, tags, title, EVERYTHING...out the door for $19,600. Just try and buy a comparable, loaded V6 Camry or Accord for that price.
Old 11-02-07, 01:23 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by carguy101
Infiniti is doing fine. Second best (after BMW) increase in calendar year percentage sales among luxury brands.

When you look at the sedans that they offer that are in the same segment as Lexus, they are very competitive in terms of sales:

IS: 45,433
G35 Sedan: 45,133

GS: 18,597
M: 17,948

The next Q is the defining step for them. No matter how good, it has no realistic chance of matching the LS's 2500 per month, but if it matches the 7 series's 1200 a month, it should be considered a success.
I agree with one thing; the next Q MUST consistently hit US sales of over 1000 units per month. Otherwise it should and likely will be considered a flop.
Old 11-02-07, 02:15 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RON430
I am not sure but I would guess the S class is the next oldest in this class although the A8 might be there. And of course the S class is another 20 or 30% out the door ( for the numbers I am getting at the dealers ) than the 7.

I understand about the Audi residuals and I am sure it has an effect but I have to believe there is more than that. They really are nice cars but the A8 isn't pegging anybody's desirability list. The biggest shame is that if you want a car in this class and you want to shop Japanese, you have only one choice. I haven't driven anything yet that offers less driving experience than the only Japanese offering. Another pity.
Well you have to admit, while the A8 is an attractive car, it does not have the wow factor of the S-Class. Some people like that, but not many. Also, I think the S-Class is only 2 or so years old (5 years younger than the 7-Series).
Old 11-02-07, 02:16 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

BMW, wow, look at 3 and 5 sales! The bread and butter is again, doing its job. X5 sales up over 85%. That is how a new model should perform. Day in, day out, people just want BMWs. AS they add new models like the X6 and 1 series, Lexus sales crown could be in jeopardy next year or in 2009.
Hard to tell without the breakdown but putting the turbo six in the 535 makes one dandy car. A very viable alternative to a 550, sorry Doug. I wonder how much the revamped engine and other 5 series tweaks are doing by model.
Old 11-02-07, 02:30 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RON430
Hard to tell without the breakdown but putting the turbo six in the 535 makes one dandy car. A very viable alternative to a 550, sorry Doug. I wonder how much the revamped engine and other 5 series tweaks are doing by model.
Preaching to the choir here Ron - just don't say stuff like that over on the Bimmer boards. In spite of many rags claiming the 535 is a superior car for the cash, many/most people still think the 550 is the way to go if you have the cash (and the prices can be almost equivalent depending on a host of factors). Anyway, I for one would take a serious look at the 535 if I was in the market (I have not driven one BTW).

Quick Reply: OCTOBER 2007 Vehicles Sales