Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which car I should get....
Honda CRX
2.94%
Toyota pickup
20.59%
Nissan 240sx
20.59%
Honda civic
44.12%
Others....(let me know your answer)
11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Poll : $3500 budget to buy 'beat-up' car for daily drive to work

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-07, 02:57 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
-Pearlpower
camry isnt difficult to work on
(except for the V6 HG issue )

-tuan92129
ES250 were all V6 motors and had the same issues as the camrys. ES300 is better with that but price out an early ES300 and the same year V6 camry and your gunna see a reasonable gap in price.

most early model camrys and ES250's you see will have replaced motors just because it was so common for the headgaskets to fail. most of the later motors (late model 2VZ) had the issue fixed. the 3MZ that replaced the 2VZ in the 92+ Camrys didnt really have that problem.
Where did I say it was difficult to work on??????? I stated MORE difficult to work on. I would not state difficult to work on as everyone has different mechanical skills. What is a cakewalk for me could be rocket science for someone else.
Old 11-03-07, 06:29 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stop being a sissy... 68 miles is nothing, and what good's a solid, reliable Lexus if you don't drive it?

That being said, you can get a decent shape 2nd gen (87-91) Camry with probably under 100k miles for well under $3500. It's reliable, but you're not going to look cool in it.

Out of your choices... I voted for the 240 because that's the coolest car. If you're looking for purely economical car, the Civic is the way to go, and it gets better gas mileage than a Camry. If you have to haul things from time to time, go with the Toyota Truck.

EDIT- Just a bit of O/T, my dad just recently started driving my Camry 160 miles a day to work. It only has 86k miles on it and is in mint shape, and he likes it a lot. It's a pretty comfortable ride too, even since I lowered it.
Old 11-03-07, 07:17 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter

most early model camrys and ES250's you see will have replaced motors just because it was so common for the headgaskets to fail. most of the later motors (late model 2VZ) had the issue fixed. the 3MZ that replaced the 2VZ in the 92+ Camrys didnt really have that problem.
The 3MZ on my moms 92 ES300 blew the head gasket. If one is looking for a beater car and good gas mileage I wouldn't bother with any V6 car. The V6 in the Camry/ES300 doesn't exactly get the best gas mileage. Even the 4 cylinder Camry like the one in my 95 Camry isn't great. It is okay, but my dads 94 4 Cylinder Accord gets better gas mileage. I'd go for the Civic or Corolla if one is looking for a cheap beater that gets good mileage and reliability.

S13/14 240s are popular with the drift guys and are in high demand. It would be hard to find a stock one or a well taken care of one.
Old 11-03-07, 08:52 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

pfantom68 - lol...yes, im being sissy compare to your dad. but compare to friends around me, i look like a looser....spend 3 hrs everyday on freeway. (1.5hrs each way)

pvmike1 - that's exactly what my dad told me....to enjoy the toughness of lexus....

thanks guys for allll the responds. i found this 92 Lexus SC for $3.5K with 150K miles, but AC is not cold, window not working. between 1992 Lexus SC vs 1995 Toyota Camry vs 1990s Honda Accord, which one you guys think the most 'beatable' car ? i'm hoping this beat-up car that im gonna get will last at least......250K miles.....
Old 11-03-07, 09:10 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you dont have a need for a 4-door at work, I would consider the truck. You can still use it on the weekends for home projects or to move stuff or whatever. Just dont tell your friends you bought it because they will all assume you bought it to become thier personal slave for moving and helping them.
Old 11-03-07, 09:15 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by masboy
pfantom68 - lol...yes, im being sissy compare to your dad. but compare to friends around me, i look like a looser....spend 3 hrs everyday on freeway. (1.5hrs each way)

pvmike1 - that's exactly what my dad told me....to enjoy the toughness of lexus....

thanks guys for allll the responds. i found this 92 Lexus SC for $3.5K with 150K miles, but AC is not cold, window not working. between 1992 Lexus SC vs 1995 Toyota Camry vs 1990s Honda Accord, which one you guys think the most 'beatable' car ? i'm hoping this beat-up car that im gonna get will last at least......250K miles.....
My dad had a 90 Accord and now 94. I had a 93 SC400 and have a 95 camry right now. I think all of them are more than capable of reaching 250K miles or more. The SC wont have nearly as good gas mileage as the other two cars in V8 or I6 versions. In fact, often the SC300 gets no more or even worse gas mileage than the SC400 (Unless it is a 5-Speed). The broken AC in the SC is a deal breaker for me as AC is a must.

Persoanlly, if you are getting a daily driver beater, don't bother with an old Luxury car. Parts are more expensive, maintenance cost are more expensive, gas could be more expensive, insurance could be more expensive. Just get a beater. I'd choose either the Accord or Camry.
Old 11-03-07, 10:46 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
hehe, I got a 96 Honda accord for sale, 85K orignal owner, and I only want 3K for it.
So for 3500, you will be able to get some nice 4 cycl Toyota Camry, Accord, Civic and etc.
I would personally go for 240sx cause that;s hella more fun, but KA24DE is not bullet proof, and 70% of them burns oil, and gas mileage is horrible. I had 3 of those, I know them.
i wish you were closer cause id buy that accord !!
Old 11-03-07, 11:29 PM
LT. LEX
Lead Lap

You know I never quite understood why people put themselves through the torture of driver a 'beater'. I had a '97 Geo Prism in college and I kept it a while after I bought the GS so that I could use it to "drive to work" and what not. I came to dread driving to work. The Prism was a fine car, good on gas, decent shape, etc. but after driving the GS430 for a while I came to enjoy my commutes. I ended up giving the Prism to my little sister who needed a 4-door car because of her new baby.

If I had to get another vehicle to lessen the miles put on the Lexus I'd get a truck. Trucks are useful and would be able to serve several purposes for you...i.e. daily driver + being able to haul stuff.
Old 11-04-07, 12:55 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYtro...4-Peel-P50.htm
Old 11-04-07, 01:03 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Look at the camber on those wheels
Attached Thumbnails Poll : 00 budget to buy 'beat-up' car for daily drive to work-camber.jpg  
Old 11-04-07, 01:41 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Isn't "driving to work" the primary purpose of one's vehicle? I would just enjoy the GS. 68 miles is a light commute, some people drive 100's of miles a day. Plus, Lexus is built for high mileage so I wouldn't worry about killing it.

That said, if you really are against this, then I'd go for a Civic for the best mileage and reliability.
Old 11-04-07, 01:52 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Plus, Lexus is built for high mileage so I wouldn't worry about killing it.
Mm hmm.

If you are looking for a fuel efficient choice, Id choose a Corolla over a Civic. If you're looking for something kind of fun, how bout a mid 90s Legacy? The 2.2L engine runs forever and you can even get one with a turbo.
Old 11-04-07, 02:28 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Mm hmm.

If you are looking for a fuel efficient choice, Id choose a Corolla over a Civic.
Both models have been generally the same over the years with gas mileage.
Not a big enough difference to choose one over the other for MPG only.
Old 11-04-07, 03:15 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand the point of beaters, especially for highway use. Also for that much driving I would value comfort of the GS over some econobox.

From an economic point of view, the extra mileage on the GS and gas difference from the GS to the beater has to cost more than the insurance on your new beater + gas for that + cost of the car and tax/title/B.S. + the now wasted money you're paying for insurance on the GS (You'll still be paying full insurance on it while it sits to only be driven part time!), also you have the depreciating GS with less use (I'm assuming this since you never said it would be driven by somebody else like a spouse, at least I don't think you did).

I just don't think beaters really save money. Buying a 2nd car as a way to save money just isn't practical for many people.
Old 11-04-07, 03:55 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by krazykanuk
I don't understand the point of beaters, especially for highway use. Also for that much driving I would value comfort of the GS over some econobox.

From an economic point of view, the extra mileage on the GS and gas difference from the GS to the beater has to cost more than the insurance on your new beater + gas for that + cost of the car and tax/title/B.S. + the now wasted money you're paying for insurance on the GS (You'll still be paying full insurance on it while it sits to only be driven part time!), also you have the depreciating GS with less use (I'm assuming this since you never said it would be driven by somebody else like a spouse, at least I don't think you did).

I just don't think beaters really save money. Buying a 2nd car as a way to save money just isn't practical for many people.
i see your point krazykanuk and got me thinking.....

Ok, this the brake down why I was thinking to get 'beat-up' car, i might missing something.....

Drive with GS everyday to work (68miles/day)
- Gas : $180/month (at least)
- 68 miles x 20days (1month--> it could be more, sometimes i work on weekend) = 1360 miles (just for work) -- oil change need to be done every ~3 months = $40
- Car insurance : $80/month
- My GS will have additional at least 16,320 miles every year....which will bring the value down a lot (I think?)

Drive 'beat-up' car :
- Gas : hmmm maybe around $120 ? $100 ?
- Car insurance : no idea yet...(anybody know how much monthly insurance for 1990s Honda/Camry?)
- Oil change every 3 months : ~$15 (non-syn)
- This 'beat-up' car will have additional 16,320 miles every year and I don't care....the value is gone anyway...

Seeing my GS sitting in my garage everyday and drive it on weekend only, with little mileage....is PRICELESS

Quick Reply: Poll : $3500 budget to buy 'beat-up' car for daily drive to work