Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why is the Nissan GTR's braking mediocre?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-07, 12:18 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is the Nissan GTR's braking mediocre?

Nissan claims a 60-0 stopping distance of 37 meters or about 121 ft. That's a very mediocre stopping distance which is achieved or bettered by cars such as the 335i, G37, IS 350, not to mention cars like M3, IS-F, C63, etc. Are they just putting a very conservative number? I mean they are 15 inch brembos in all four wheels! Before they announced the numbers I was assuming it to be at least 110 ft if not closer to 100 ft.
Old 11-03-07, 12:20 PM
LexFather

Well remember that huge brakes help with fade, they don't really help with shorter stopping distances.

With braking, pads and tires count more than anything first.

After a few tests, then we can come to a better conclusion on average stopping distances.

Old 11-03-07, 02:41 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well remember that huge brakes help with fade, they don't really help with shorter stopping distances.

After a few tests, then we can come to a better conclusion on average stopping distances.
This is a great point. Read the GTR reviews and they basically say it never experiences fade. Do that on a 335i and you'll probably get fade on the second lap...if your engine doesn't overheat first
Old 11-03-07, 03:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Correct. And tires, usually, count more than pads. On paved, dry surfaces the type of rubber compound you have is usually the most important single element. On wet slick surfaces, the tread design and its water-channeling ability come more into play.

Usually, the softer the tread compound, the more dry-grip it will have, and the shorter the stopping distances will be....but also the more rapidly the tire will wear out.
Old 11-03-07, 03:24 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good point 1Sick. Plus the weight of the car can kill the stopping distance too. The F1 engineer will do what ever its take to get the weight down, especially the un spun weight(useless weight like heavy wheels, heavy rotors and suspensions).
The number on the GT-R is pretty good all around.
Old 11-03-07, 03:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by EZZ
This is a great point. Read the GTR reviews and they basically say it never experiences fade. Do that on a 335i and you'll probably get fade on the second lap...if your engine doesn't overheat first
lol, they insist on their design for the brakes, saying its more efficient. BUt everyone else uses Brembo design etc....Their brakes have never been a super strong suit, but they are getting better.

Old 11-03-07, 03:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Correct. And tires, usually, count more than pads. On paved, dry surfaces the type of rubber compound you have is usually the most important single element. On wet slick surfaces, the tread design and its water-channeling ability come more into play.

Usually, the softer the tread compound, the more dry-grip it will have, and the shorter the stopping distances will be....but also the more rapidly the tire will wear out.
Yup

Old 11-03-07, 03:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Good point 1Sick. Plus the weight of the car can kill the stopping distance too. The F1 engineer will do what ever its take to get the weight down, especially the un spun weight(useless weight like heavy wheels, heavy rotors and suspensions).
The number on the GT-R is pretty good all around.
Damn we did say the same thing in 2 diff threads I believe the GT-R comes with 20s stock, so even forged, its probably a 25 lbs or more wheel. Also rotating mass is larger.

I still have full confidence in the GT-R braking system. THe Caliper is huge!

Old 11-03-07, 11:21 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Excellent points. Also, a huge factor is that 3800 LB weight from the GT-R.

But im sure these brakes will perform very good at the track.

Old 11-04-07, 01:06 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

yeah gt-r wheels are 24/26lbs each. very lightweight for 20s (most 19s are as heavy/heavier) but sitll 20 nonetheless.

however tires are wide and the braking system is efficient.

overall the 335i, G37, and IS 350 are not in the same league in terms of braking performance and heat management capability. same probably goes for the m3, is-f, etc.
Old 11-04-07, 05:57 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they left room for improvement so when the v-spec comes out people would be like "ahhhh they fixed those mediocre brakes " :P
Old 11-04-07, 11:58 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
yeah gt-r wheels are 24/26lbs each. very lightweight for 20s (most 19s are as heavy/heavier) but sitll 20 nonetheless.

however tires are wide and the braking system is efficient.

overall the 335i, G37, and IS 350 are not in the same league in terms of braking performance and heat management capability. same probably goes for the m3, is-f, etc.
I'm willing to bet that the IS-F will stand toe to toe on braking with th GT-R.

p.s. the GT-R's stopping distances are 'mediocre' because it is a pig. A very fast and agile pig, but a pig none the less.