Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How come more expensive cars are RWD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-07, 03:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rfx45
In general, RWD vehicles cost more to make. FWD is not only cheaper but also safer for average drivers because it performs a bit better on wet roads. For the most part though, it's because of the cost of manufacturing.
See my response above to bitkahuna about FWD cost and complexity.
You are correct, though, that for most driving, for most drivers, FWD is a better choice, especially on wet and slippery roads. RWD, as mentioned before, has better weight distribution for handling, braking, and strong acceleration where the car's center of gravity shifts back towards the rear wheels....and it produces more even wear on all four tires because the two front tires don't have to steer, power, and take as much of a front-end-bias while braking....all at the same time.

RWD also has the advantage of much simpler brake jobs up front....on FWD cars, you sometimes have to drop both front driveshafts and swing the two front struts (if equipped) aside to take off the rotors....that, of course, means having to re-align the front suspension once you get it all back together...it can be a mess.

It is true, though, that most of the cheapest vehicles available in the American market are FWD (Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent, Scion xA, Toyota Yaris, etc....), but that is not necessarily a cost issue.....that is primarily for space efficiency in these very small vehicles, where every cubic foot has to be used as efficiently as possible. Yet a few manufacturers.....primarily Subaru and Suzuki......have managed to produced small AWD vehicles almost as cheap as FWD or RWD. AWD Imprezas, for example, now start under 17K, and the AWD Suzuki SX-4 (with a 2WD/AWD/AWD Lock switch to boot) starts at 15-16K.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-04-07 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-04-07, 03:33 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

RWD chassis have less interior space because of the driveshaft and tranny placement
Old 11-05-07, 09:16 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Leedog while what Honda does with FWD is commendable, Acura is not even a true luxury brand. THe question is why are luxury brands RWD. It begins with the1920s as racing became big and these applications were used for roadcars.

Fast Forward to today and 95% of luxury cars over $30,000 are RWD or AWD. RWD is the purists and most luxurious application with AWD gaining speed among buyers for safety.

FWD is there for two main reasons.
1. CHeap to build
2. Packaging efficiency

RR, Bentley, Maybach= RWD. Nuff said!
I thought Bentley was now AWD since VW/Audi owns them.

AWD sure is gaining traction (no pun intended) in the luxury market. Not a huge fan, personally.
Old 11-06-07, 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
RWD chassis have less interior space because of the driveshaft and tranny placement
That, and the fact that with RWD, you generally have a longitudional rather than transverse engine layout...that takes up additional space that would otherwise go in the cabin. You also have less room in the trunk with RWD because you have to leave more room underneath for the rear differential.
Old 11-06-07, 08:14 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
And FWD is cheaper to make and doesn't have the drivetrain 'hump' between the rear seats on the floor.
I was wondering why the "hump" on the floor between the rear passenger footwells was soo tall.
Old 11-06-07, 08:53 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I got both:
Acura legend=FWD
MB C230SS=RWD

My Acura is harder to turn. My MB is easy to turn and handle. In wet conditions I prefer the FWD. Here's my 2 cents... when engine power and overal size of the car gets big it's better in RWD because if it was FWD, front wheels are under alot more stress if it was RWD. If power and size is relatively small there's no need for RWD drivetrain as front wheels can handle the stress. God I hate torque steer. Makes the car feel cheap
Old 11-06-07, 09:46 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995LS400
I was wondering why the "hump" on the floor between the rear passenger footwells was soo tall.
haha.. take a look at the difference btwn the IS and ES right now.
Old 11-07-07, 09:22 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Incendiary

AWD sure is gaining traction (no pun intended) in the luxury market. Not a huge fan, personally.
The entry level models. Not the older models (I Can't believe I typed entry level Bentley)

Old 11-07-07, 09:31 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Incendiary

the Continental GT and Flying Spur are both AWD.

However, the Arnage, Azure, and Brooklands models are all RWD.

and FYI, the TL, G35, I350 comparison was rather interesting because the TL was equipped with an LSD.
Old 11-07-07, 10:17 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

FWD is cheaper to produce.
That's why lower priced cars are FWD.
Old 11-08-07, 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
FWD is cheaper to produce.
That's why lower priced cars are FWD.
No, not necessarily true. See my earlier post on this subject....I'll repeat it here:

I'm not sure I agree FWD is cheaper to produce. Many factors, of course, are involved in the cost of a drivetrain, including engine and transmission complexity, materials used, ease of assembly, etc....

FWD layouts usually have transversely-mounted engine/transaxle assemblies, which means that extra gears are needed to route the power back around through the final-drive unit/differential 180 degrees to the front driveshafts. And then, unlike RWD vehicles, both front wheels have to have CV (Constant-Velocity) joints that allow the wheels to turn left and right while power is being fed to them. These CV joints have a lot of stresses on them and have to be made of very durable materials. In addition, the steering system itself has to fit in and be integrated with the front driveshafts, as do the brake rotors.

So, while you don't have the long driveshafts and big heavy rear differential (and rear driveshaft universal joints if it is not a live axle) of a typical RWD layout, FWD is not necesarily easier or cheaper to produce.
Old 11-08-07, 03:17 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

not necessarily, sure. there are exceptions to nearly everything.

but if you wanted to mass produce a car for as little as possible, fwd would be the way to go.

...or are you disagreeing with that?
Old 11-08-07, 03:38 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Individual component costs are often not the determiner of lower cost in the total vehicle cost differential between FWD and RWD. The assembly process is much more straightforward with FWD and often much of the entire drivetrain is preassembled as a unit and simply bolted into the car. The rear axle in a FWD car is straightforward and does not require any precision in assembly alignment to the drivetrain because it isn't connected. These and other factors contribute to the lower costs of FWD.

One final point, the hump in the floor is often a lot less in a FWD car but many times it isn't gone because the exhaust pipe is tucked up into there.
Old 11-08-07, 03:39 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

general (usually misguided) public consensus:

RWD: teh win
FWD: teh suck

and it holds some truth!
Old 11-08-07, 03:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
not necessarily, sure. there are exceptions to nearly everything.

but if you wanted to mass produce a car for as little as possible, fwd would be the way to go.

...or are you disagreeing with that?
FWD became popular for small cars because, by generally being more space-efficient, particularly with transverse engines, it offered more room back behind the drivetrain inside for people and cargo....and by having a lower, flatter hump between the seats. It also allowed smaller engines and transmissions because of less vehicle weight to pull, saving even more space and weight, and getting better mileage.

But FWD's space efficiency does not necessarily mean lower cost of production......See my previous posts for details.

Quick Reply: How come more expensive cars are RWD?