Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

As requested: pics of my new car (335i)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-07, 07:05 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RX469
Care to list the annoyances to you on this car.
Off the top of my head:

The interior is just kinda cold/sterile all around... the material quality is ok at best.

There's a bad buzzing noise coming from the driver's door when music is played at a certain frequency (especially male voices talking, like a DJ)

The "end" button doesn't always work to end a phone call - sometimes I have to pull my phone out and hit the end button or wait for the other person to hang up.

The weather stripping around the sunroof appears to be already semi-deteriorated... it's rough and catches fuzz from a wash mitt readily. Almost impossible to clean out.

A single disc CD player in a 47.x thousand dollar car? Are you kidding me? I don't care if it has an MP3 player input. So does a Ford Focus...

When I was cleaning it I noticed the front of the passenger side rocker panel wasn't secured very well (I compared it to the driver's side which was much more firmly secured) and a similar observation about a point in the front bumper.

I don't know if there's just less sound insulation between the trunk and the cabin or maybe the carpet just has less traction but my stuff slides and clunks around back there constantly during turns. I never heard this kind of racket in my Audi or Lexus when taking turns.

The ergonomics of the window switches is pretty poor - not easy to reach and adjust.

Anyhow... that's off the top of my head. Believe me, I am a picky SOB. That's why I lease. I can find things to complain about in ANY car!
But regardless, these are all real issues that I believe speak poorly for the design and build of this car.

Not that the fun factor and myriad of pros don't necessarily make up for them... but they're still there, regardless...
Old 11-06-07, 09:37 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Off the top of my head:

The interior is just kinda cold/sterile all around... the material quality is ok at best.

There's a bad buzzing noise coming from the driver's door when music is played at a certain frequency (especially male voices talking, like a DJ)
Congrats on the new 3-nothing like a new car smell

Yeah, don't want to sound like a sour apple, but since you brought it up, I couldn't stand the interior (material and design wise).

Sister in law's 3 had a buzzing noise too, right when she drove off the lot I don't think she ever had it fix since it comes and goes.

Enjoy your new bmw
Old 11-06-07, 10:04 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off the top of my head:

The "end" button doesn't always work to end a phone call - sometimes I have to pull my phone out and hit the end button or wait for the other person to hang up.

The weather stripping around the sunroof appears to be already semi-deteriorated... it's rough and catches fuzz from a wash mitt readily. Almost impossible to clean out.

A single disc CD player in a 47.x thousand dollar car? Are you kidding me? I don't care if it has an MP3 player input. So does a Ford Focus...

When I was cleaning it I noticed the front of the passenger side rocker panel wasn't secured very well (I compared it to the driver's side which was much more firmly secured) and a similar observation about a point in the front bumper.

I don't know if there's just less sound insulation between the trunk and the cabin or maybe the carpet just has less traction but my stuff slides and clunks around back there constantly during turns. I never heard this kind of racket in my Audi or Lexus when taking turns.

The ergonomics of the window switches is pretty poor - not easy to reach and adjust.

Anyhow... that's off the top of my head. Believe me, I am a picky SOB. That's why I lease. I can find things to complain about in ANY car!
But regardless, these are all real issues that I believe speak poorly for the design and build of this car.

Not that the fun factor and myriad of pros don't necessarily make up for them... but they're still there, regardless...
A couple things that might help or at least make you feel better.

There is a TSB on the buzzing noise, your dealer should be able to fix it.

The weather stripping is normal; they use felt not rubber like most manufacturers. I hate it, but they say it is more secure. To clean it lick your finger and just drag the lint off. I promise it works. BTW, same for inside the doors.

I totally agree about the cd player and lack of traction in the trunk. I have a trunk liner and it helps a ton.

I disagree about the material quality inside, but do agree it certainly is a sterile design.
Old 11-06-07, 10:11 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Off the top of my head:

The end button not working is probably an issue with the bluetooth on your phone. I needed a firmware upgrade on my Razr before it worked correctly. BMW has a list of approved phones and firmwares on their site.

Unfortunately your car did not come with the iPOD integration (at least I didn't see it). This allows you to control your ipod and select any song/playlist, etc. from the stereo (even nicer when you have nav). I think the era of a 6-disc cd changer is just gone now because people are making MP3 cds (which your car will play) that hold more than 6 regular discs would have. I have not missed my 6-disc CD changer (I replaced it with the second gen ipod connector) and in fact, even now on the 5-series, I don't think you can get the cd changer - people just didn't want it any more.
Old 11-06-07, 08:15 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doug_999
Press Voice button and then say
CALL <insert name here>

So
Call Bob
will respond with Call Bob? and you say "Yes" and it dials.
Hmmm... I tried this on the way home and it didn't work. Maybe I was saying 'dial bob' instead of 'call bob' and didn't realize it. I'll give it another shot.
Old 11-07-07, 09:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

congrats! have fun...
Old 04-24-08, 09:05 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

I just picked up a 335i coupe. I dig the stereo with the ipod adapter in it. It works great and you can control almost every function except watch movies up there. The nav is a little odd compared to my old Lexus. However, since I got a stick the car is significantly more fun on the road.
Old 04-24-08, 09:23 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SilverBull
I just picked up a 335i coupe. I dig the stereo with the ipod adapter in it. It works great and you can control almost every function except watch movies up there. The nav is a little odd compared to my old Lexus. However, since I got a stick the car is significantly more fun on the road.
I'd make sure I had the USB connection if it would work for something aside from ipods.

I hate buying music song by song or obtaining it illegally... I like the unlimited subscription model offered by Microsoft, Yahoo, Napster, etc but it seems like none of the MP3 players compatible with those services will work with those in-car USB connections.

I also think it's pretty jacked up that BMW charges so much for that simple connection... what is it... 450-500 bucks?? Crazy markup there.
Old 04-24-08, 11:01 AM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

very nice car.....I think you will enjoy it a lot, I drove one a few months ago and absolutely loved it......