Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Global Executive Describes Tundra's Issues As Shameful

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-07, 11:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
ALways a pleasure chatting with you dude.
Likewise sir.

About your extending my home building analogy saying the roofer could cut corners to save $... even then the builder can inspect the work and easily spot corners that were cut. If the builder is smart and doesn't want headaches later with warranty claims for a leaking roof or whatever, then he'll force the roofer to redo or fix it or they don't get paid.

It's like that scene in A Bug's Life where the ant says it wasn't her fault and the grasshopper says "First rule of leadership: everything is your fault!"
Old 11-07-07, 04:43 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is roughly what happened with Toyota and the ES/Camry 6 speed tranny problems
I am pretty sure most of the Toyota powertrains are made in house. Engine and trannys are made by Toyota.
Old 11-07-07, 05:46 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I am pretty sure most of the Toyota powertrains are made in house. Engine and trannys are made by Toyota.
Not true. V160 Getrag 6-spd made by... Getrag.
They use Aisin as a supplier as well.
Old 11-07-07, 06:56 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Again, if you go and find out the full story of what happened, Toyota (originally) out-sourced tranny production to a supplier for the Camry/ES because Toyota simply did not have enough manufacturing capacity. The company's resources and engineers were stretched to the limit so they had no choice at that moment.

Typically, you're right; Toyota does a lot of things in-house. Due to the huge focus on growth over the past few years in the company though, it led to more outsourcing and the quality problems that have been occuring.
Old 11-07-07, 09:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Not true. V160 Getrag 6-spd made by... Getrag.
They use Aisin as a supplier as well.
AISIN is Toyota spin-off and majority owned by Toyota... So yes, they use a LOT of AISIN transmissios

:-).
Old 11-07-07, 09:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

p.s. i love it how big deals are made of everything toyota related... Average car has 30 TSB's written in its life, I wonder if we will "Oh" and "ah" each one of them :-).
Old 11-07-07, 09:58 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by spwolf
AISIN is Toyota spin-off and majority owned by Toyota... So yes, they use a LOT of AISIN transmissios

:-).
I thought Aisin was originally it's own company and Toyota bought a majority stake in it?
Old 11-07-07, 10:13 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You're right, Toyota just bought shares in the company. It just happens that Toyota owns most of the share.

Aisin also supplies parts to Honda, Nissan, etc. I recently bought their master cylinder for my Acura
Old 11-07-07, 11:24 AM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Originally Posted by Indio
Are you serious? What a stretch, suppliers, minority or otherwise are approved by Toyota, the buck stops with Toyota, stop with the double standard or extend them to all manufacturers.
Double standard? Well, Toyota is seemingly using new suppliers that they've never used before in the US on the Tundra...It may or may not be a supplier issue. But the bottom line is Efforts=Results, and so far, things could be far better according to the company. So far, Toyota hasn't blamed any of its suppliers for these woes (if they have, it is an internal "supplier issue" rather than news). Detroit has done more fingerpointing at their suppliers than most other car companies (i.e. Ford & Firestone).