Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Global Executive Describes Tundra's Issues As Shameful

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-07, 12:20 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Toyota Global Executive Describes Tundra's Issues As Shameful

The corporate culture that has charged Toyota's ascendance in the automotive world isn't without its pitfalls. Pride in quality products has driven the automaker for decades and the recent spate of issues with the Tundra – from snapping camshafts, cracking tailgates and faulty torque converters – is making Toyota executives realize that exponential growth is not without its pains.

Speaking with Automotive News at the Tokyo Motor Show, ToMoCo's global manufacturing exec admitted that problems with the automaker's full-size pickup have caused "shame" within the company. Takeshi Uchiyamada cited the rapid expansion of Toyota's production facilities, increased sales and issues with new products as being the major dilemmas facing the automaker, but that all these problems are being addressed. Recognizing the issue is half the battle, but time will tell whether or not Toyota's break-neck pace will continue to hamper the Japanese firm's growth.

[Source: Automotive News – Sub. Req.]
Old 11-05-07, 01:09 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely agree. This issues are certainly shameful. Good to see that Toyota knows how serious these issues are. Time will tell if their implemented measures will improved things.
Old 11-05-07, 01:13 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have failed you! HARI-KARI!
Just kidding, I'm not suggesting anyone kill themselves over failures.
Old 11-05-07, 01:20 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

see the tundra is crying in the picture?
Old 11-05-07, 01:21 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Everyone makes mistakes.

Not everyone learns from them. Not everyone finds a solution.

I hope Toyota will back off a bit from production, and find solutions in engineering. Like I've said numerous times: I'd rather spend a little extra on something more reliable.

Keep the supply low by toning down on the production numbers, but keep demand high by providing a bullet-proof product.
Old 11-05-07, 01:25 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

That's why I have put off from purchasing the Tundra. I want to make sure all the bugs are ironed out. The Tundra is the next vehicle I'll be purchasing, then the IS-F...
Old 11-05-07, 01:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

When I reviewed the V8, Limited, AWD version of this truck back last spring, I said then that it appeared to be a well-done truck under the surface.....chassis, drivetrain, frame, suspension, etc.... but that the skin, on the surface, needed a LOT of improvement. I found the sheet metal, trim, hardware, and some interior materials almost insultingly cheap....basically down in the caliber (no pun intended) of the Dodge Caliber and Jeep Compass.
Old 11-05-07, 02:21 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 01 tundra, drove a 05 tundra,
and when my office lady bought a 07 5.7 with leather package, I was shocked with the interior quality! so poorly done, I wish they could at least the previous ones.
Old 11-05-07, 03:54 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

just curious...by mentioning the Tundra specifically, Toyota has never pointed the finger at their suppliers have they, or mention that it was a supplier issue?
Old 11-05-07, 04:37 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I had a 01 tundra, drove a 05 tundra,
and when my office lady bought a 07 5.7 with leather package, I was shocked with the interior quality! so poorly done, I wish they could at least the previous ones.
Agreed.

I had a 2005 Double Cab and thought the interior was much better than the new Tundra. The Tundra is also my next vehicle and I'm just waiting to see them take care of these problems as well.
Old 11-06-07, 04:34 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Originally Posted by TRDRAV4
just curious...by mentioning the Tundra specifically, Toyota has never pointed the finger at their suppliers have they, or mention that it was a supplier issue?
How is super-thin sheet metal and tailgates that bend and deform with minimal loads a supplier issue?
Old 11-06-07, 10:57 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDRAV4
Actually, a big part of Toyota's quality problems have been from suppliers. The Camry/ES transmission problems originated from several suppliers who were not building the trannies to proper specifications.

The faulty camshafts on the Tundras were due to a defect during manufacturing from a supplier.

Toyota was outsourcing a lot of work to suppliers because the company's own resources were stretched so thin.
Old 11-06-07, 11:20 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

At the end of the day who cares where the part came from? As the car maker you put the part in my car so if my car is broken it's the manufacturer who bears responsibility.
Old 11-06-07, 11:26 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
At the end of the day who cares where the part came from? As the car maker you put the part in my car so if my car is broken it's the manufacturer who bears responsibility.
Sorry kiddo but that is way off. Suppliers can make or break a car. Ask GM, who squeezed suppliers so tight that the cars fell apart until they finally woke up recently.

Toyota is the ONLY company to apply Kaizen with suppliers. Where everyone else tells suppliers make X part at Y cost or we go elsewhere, Toyota will send engineers to the supplier to figure out a way to make it happen.

You do realize most of the car is from suppliers right? The car company does take responsibility for assembly.

Its like people boasting about what NAV system is best. The automaker did NOT make it. THey simply BOUGHT it from someone else.

If you have weak suppliers, your car will fail.

Old 11-06-07, 11:40 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
Let's say I was an automaker and you were a supplier. I outsourced a transmission to you for you to manufacture according to the blueprints I provided. You do not completely follow the blueprints and manufacture a small number of transmissions with defects before I quickly spot the problem and terminate our contract. I then move my business to another supplier.

This is roughly what happened with Toyota and the ES/Camry 6 speed tranny problems.

What you're saying is because a supplier made defective transmissions because the supplier didn't fully follow instructions it's Toyota's fault?

Toyota did take action, and they move to another supplier. Toyota likes to keep as much as possible in-house so problems like these with suppliers don't happen. In recent years, that wasn't possible because the company's resources were stretched so thin. Toyota now realizes this mistake and is expanding it's resources while also slowing down it's growth.

Quick Reply: Toyota Global Executive Describes Tundra's Issues As Shameful