Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any Bimmer owners in the house?...I have a question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-08, 10:26 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deciding that you won't be getting any more bmw b/c run flat is too loud makes as much sense as gw bush attacking Iraq after osama attacked US from Afganistan.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Update: my dad got new tires and they are quiet. Cost him $1000 of which, BMW agreed to play $200 and allign for free. Don't think we will be getting any more Bimmers.
Old 03-31-08, 05:35 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
Deciding that you won't be getting any more bmw b/c run flat is too loud makes as much sense as gw bush attacking Iraq after osama attacked US from Afganistan.
Well hey if you have the money to get $1000k worth of new tires every 10 -15k miles then good for you.
??????????
Old 03-31-08, 06:12 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

You will spend $1000 everytime you get new runflat tires whether your car is BMW, Lexus, or Yugo. If you don't like the particular runflats or runflats altogether, you can buy different tires. Tires are consumable last time I checked.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99 View Post
Well hey if you have the money to get $1000k worth of new tires every 10 -15k miles then good for you.
Old 03-31-08, 06:24 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
You will spend $1000 everytime you get new runflat tires whether your car is BMW, Lexus, or Yugo. If you don't like the particular runflats or runflats altogether, you can buy different tires. Tires are consumable last time I checked.
Yeah, but its not the run flats. BMW service told my dad that its the setup of their suspension. Its designed to be more athletic and thus tire wear is affected, runflat or regular. So the only advantage would be that the regular tires are cheaper, but supposedly they won't work with the existing wheels. Only runflats.
Old 03-31-08, 06:37 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

You can put non-runflat tires on the wheels. There are no such wheels that only run-flats fit in.

Yeah, but its not the run flats. BMW service told my dad that its the setup of their suspension. Its designed to be more athletic and thus tire wear is affected, runflat or regular. So the only advantage would be that the regular tires are cheaper, but supposedly they won't work with the existing wheels. Only runflats.
Old 03-31-08, 06:59 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Then basically your saying higher performance RWD cars are not an option. ON some of my true sports cars tires were rated to last less then 10K miles. My current BMW is an older E46 so a lot may have changed, but even with the sports suspension the tires will last 30K easy. I see what you are saying. A lot of higher performance RWD cars run more toe out up front, more toe in at the rear and slightly more camber than your typical car and that all together can dramatically affect tire life but with razor sharp steering and rear end stability. It is a trade off. There is a reason why most other cars have more of a numb feel to them. Party of that is the alignment.

PS. Most of the time when the Corvette, BMW guys or other High Performance Car guys have run flats from the factory, the first thing they do is swap them out for regular High Performance Radial tires and put those crappy hard stiff run flats on ebay. I guess you can chalk this one up to poor BMW dealership information. Unless you misunderstood him. The BMW's suspension are set up more aggressively than your typical car, thus accelerated tire wear, but it is not unlike any other higher performance RWD car, and you can run whatever tires and rims you want.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 03-31-08 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-31-08, 07:27 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

My friends dad has that same car, 330i or xi. He has had the same problem with the run flats and how noisy they are.

I have personally experienced it myself as well and it is the most nauseating low tone drone I have ever heard. The BMW dealer didn't want anything to do with him for quite some time. Even wrote to BMW headquarters, and they didn't want anything to do with him.

So finally when bringing the car in for service he told one of the techs to take it for a spin just to hear for himself. The tech got back and was floored at how bad they were. They contacted BMW headquarters and in the end they gave him 4 new tires and install and everything for free. So I guess they tried to screw him but he succeeded in the end.

Good Luck with your car.
Old 03-31-08, 07:30 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Run Crap tires are horrible.
Old 03-31-08, 08:13 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

The BMW's suspension are set up more aggressively than your typical car, thus accelerated tire wear, but it is not unlike any other higher performance RWD car, and you can run whatever tires and rims you want.
Its AWD. We don't really do 2WD in my family anymore. My dad doesn't invest in aftermarket or performance parts. Why BMW claims these wheels can't run regular tires, I have no clue. But, with a year left on the lease there is no reason to buy new wheels.

Originally Posted by DRE1615
So finally when bringing the car in for service he told one of the techs to take it for a spin just to hear for himself. The tech got back and was floored at how bad they were. They contacted BMW headquarters and in the end they gave him 4 new tires and install and everything for free. So I guess they tried to screw him but he succeeded in the end.
Oh yeah, I could hear it coming before I could even see the car.
Old 03-31-08, 08:38 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Forget what the idiot BMW stealership guy told you or your dad. And it doesn't matter whether it's AWD RWD or FWD, the wheels will take non-runflat tires as long as you get the size right.

Its AWD. We don't really do 2WD in my family anymore. My dad doesn't invest in aftermarket or performance parts. Why BMW claims these wheels can't run regular tires, I have no clue. But, with a year left on the lease there is no reason to buy new wheels.

Oh yeah, I could hear it coming before I could even see the car.
Old 03-31-08, 08:52 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Its a moot point anyway, he's already got the new runflats.
Old 03-31-08, 08:54 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Unhappy owners.

http://www.bmwclassaction.com/pages/blog.php
Old 03-31-08, 09:22 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is helpful info as I am looking at purchasing a 335i over the next few weeks. Well, at least it was in running as top dog until I read this. The main thing I am concerned with is the service plan should take care of this if all required maintenence is done. I just read that blog. That is nuts. This I need to print this out and bring it down to the dealership. What a load of crap. If they won't help you out than they are in the wrong as well.
Old 03-31-08, 09:32 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Good luck.
Old 04-01-08, 03:57 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

If you're still interested in the car but you don't want runflats, arrange in advance at a Discount Tire or Just Tires to have them swapped when you purchase. Many of those places will give you full retail (or whatever their regular price is) trade-in value on tires if the car has less than 50 miles on the clock. Then you can get whatever you want for only a few dollars at worst.

Quick Reply: Any Bimmer owners in the house?...I have a question