Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

335i coupe breaks 400 whp!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-07, 11:16 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Seriously, once this engine gets in every BMW product, it may replace the VQ as the most flexible and best engine around.

The VQ and Toyota/Lexus 3.5 simply do not respond to mods as well.
Keep in mind you're comparing FI vs. NA cars here. While the N54 335i engine is formidable, it still isn't on par with the best from Japan yet, in speaking of comparing against RB26DETT, 2JZGTE, or even older 3SGTE / VG30DETT. Heck, this 120hp gains (don't look at the dyno numbers, look at the delta) isn't that impressive when you consider that a Mitsu Evo 9's 4g63 can output something comparable sans 1.0L, 2 cylinders, and 1 less turbo.

It will be interesting nevertheless to see the limits of these engines as good tuners work hard to extract the safest power out of them.

Picus - what is the boost / afr on the V2 ProCede?
Old 11-06-07, 12:10 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^^I agree. Can we get a damn chip like Audi? Now make no mistake, the Lexus 3.5 with dual VVTi is the strongest stock 3.5 engine out there. However, there are those that would like some more power.

It doesn't feel like its near out of breathe at any time. I am sure there is an extra 50hp in there easy.
Also, the 2GR-FSE injector setup is still a mystery to the aftermarket. As of yet, nobody has managed to make a stand-alone for the engine and it's 12 injector setup.

We already have some hints of the engine's potential. Tom's supercharger gives a nice HP boost. Blitz has a prototype supercharger that pushes HP to over 400HP. Then of course we have the IS350 GT2 cars that were never raced. The 2GR-FSE engines in those cars though make over 470HP naturally aspirated.

With the UZ V8 engines for example, there are plenty of mods out there and more mods continue to come out everyday. The UZ is an old engine and it's mainly been figured out, which is why only now are we fully seeing the potential of the UZ engine.

When tuners figure out the 2GR, then we will really see it's potential.

Originally Posted by ST430
Keep in mind you're comparing FI vs. NA cars here. While the N54 335i engine is formidable, it still isn't on par with the best from Japan yet, in speaking of comparing against RB26DETT, 2JZGTE, or even older 3SGTE / VG30DETT. Heck, this 120hp gains (don't look at the dyno numbers, look at the delta) isn't that impressive when you consider that a Mitsu Evo 9's 4g63 can output something comparable sans 1.0L, 2 cylinders, and 1 less turbo.

It will be interesting nevertheless to see the limits of these engines as good tuners work hard to extract the safest power out of them.

Good point. As for the whole iron block vs aluminum block argument, it's not a big deal. The twin turbo V6 in the GT-R for example is aluminum block, yet I'm willing to bet that engine will be stronger and more tunable than BMW's N54. In stock form, it's already making much more power than a stock N54.
Old 11-06-07, 12:52 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Good point. As for the whole iron block vs aluminum block argument, it's not a big deal. The twin turbo V6 in the GT-R for example is aluminum block, yet I'm willing to bet that engine will be stronger and more tunable than BMW's N54. In stock form, it's already making much more power than a stock N54.
Agreed, the 411BT in the Evo X is saving 23 lbs over its older iron block 4G63 counterparts. I think the main thing to keep in mind is the block configuration. Honduh's had open deck designs that were susceptible to imploding without the block guards. New designs are closed deck and can stand the high cylinder pressures of boost.

I need to read up more on the N54 in terms of fuel specs, cylinder designs, valve / cam specs, etc. Just been to busy, but it is still my top choice to replace my Evo...

Last edited by ST430; 11-06-07 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-06-07, 01:17 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, the 411BT in the Evo X is saving 23 lbs over its older 4G63 counterparts. I think the main thing to keep in mind is the block configuration. Honduh's had open deck designs that were susceptible to imploding without the block guards. New designs are closed deck and can stand the high cylinder pressures of boost.

I need to read up more on the N54 in terms of fuel specs, cylinder designs, valve / cam specs, etc. Just been to busy, but it is still my top choice to replace my Evo...
While personally I don't like the 335i sedan styling, I've grown to really like the coupe's exterior styling. The interior is still a big dissapointment personally, but on the other hand that N54 engine is pretty great.

If the interior was more like a Lexus or even a Benz, then a 335i coupe would definitely be my next buy.
Old 11-06-07, 02:32 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
Yes the poopra engine can handle more power due to the cast iron block and closed deck design, but 400whp on an aluminum open deck block is still damn good.
Wow did a poopra beat you so bad in a race that you have to call it as such?
Old 11-06-07, 03:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Supra= oh yeah!!!

Old 11-06-07, 06:43 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

The boost changes, anywhere from 11.5 to 14.9psi IIRC. Stock is 8.75 psi. I am not sure what the afr is. I have the AA xede, it's a lot more conservative.
Old 11-06-07, 06:50 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, and fwiw this was AA's recent post regarding the PROcede hitting 400hp (on an in house car)

"The turbos on a 1JZ are much larger than these 335 turbos. You can make over 400 rwhp with them. As of right now we are not going to be develop a map to run any higher boost. Honestly if we can ran 16 lbs then you would want a map with 20 lbs. You cannot compare a BMW 335 with any 1JZ or 2JZ Its life we all want to get more and more.

We ran over 14lbs of boost and the turbos were clearly out of their efficiency range, they barely made any power over that amount so it did not make any sense to push the limit."

Someone asked them why they couldn't make the power a 1JZ or 2JZ, kind of nice to see a sensible answer on that. Over 14lbs of boost on these tiny turbos is nothing but chest puffery, as far as I am concerned.
Old 11-06-07, 07:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
No not really. I respect supra as much as the skyline.

The name poopra has been running around for awhile now. Even the supra guys call it such. It's not meant to be negative. It just sounds funny. Just like how people call Honda "honduh".
Old 11-06-07, 07:26 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by picus
Oh, and fwiw this was AA's recent post regarding the PROcede hitting 400hp (on an in house car)

"The turbos on a 1JZ are much larger than these 335 turbos. You can make over 400 rwhp with them. As of right now we are not going to be develop a map to run any higher boost. Honestly if we can ran 16 lbs then you would want a map with 20 lbs. You cannot compare a BMW 335 with any 1JZ or 2JZ Its life we all want to get more and more.

We ran over 14lbs of boost and the turbos were clearly out of their efficiency range, they barely made any power over that amount so it did not make any sense to push the limit."

Someone asked them why they couldn't make the power a 1JZ or 2JZ, kind of nice to see a sensible answer on that. Over 14lbs of boost on these tiny turbos is nothing but chest puffery, as far as I am concerned.
Interesting info I remember laughing at how small my 1j twins were, hard to believe that these are smaller but still made a good amount of power.
Old 11-06-07, 07:44 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

There are pics of the 335i's turbos kicking around somewhere. I should have saved them. Anyway, the pics who them beside a matchbook, and they are barely larger.
Old 11-06-07, 08:17 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

The name poopra has been running around for awhile now. Even the supra guys call it such. It's not meant to be negative. It just sounds funny. Just like how people call Honda "honduh".
Ah ha ha ok thanks for clearing it up for me. Never knew that.
Old 11-06-07, 08:20 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I know a lot of supra owners and never heard them refer to their cars as such, that usually comes from the haters lol
Old 11-06-07, 08:32 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Not all supra owners call on their own car. I just saw a thread where a guy titled his thread "bought new toys for the poopra".

Obviously its a small inside joke. There are a few supra guys i know who refer to their car as poopra from time to time.
Old 11-07-07, 12:08 AM
LexT
Lead Lap

The 335 just keeps amazing me........
Its been 2 years...still cant get over the interior!!.....just dont like it.

Quick Reply: 335i coupe breaks 400 whp!