Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dual-Clutch Transmission Production To Skyrocket

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-07, 07:42 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dual-Clutch Transmission Production To Skyrocket

The Nissan GT-R's six-speed dual-clutch transaxle.

DETROIT — If you're a fan of the wonderful new dual-clutch automated-manual transmissions, the future looks bright. Borg Warner Inc., developer of VW's universally acclaimed DSG (and dubbed S tronic when used by VW's Audi division) gearbox, says it expects production of its dual-clutch transmission modules to increase 500 percent over the next six years.

You can expect to see dual-clutch transmissions with the same functionality that has made VW's DSG (and S tronic) an enthusiast favorite in vehicles coming from five more automakers in addition to the VW, Audi, Nissan, Bugatti and SAIC models already using Borg Warner's patented DualTronic technology. Chrysler LLC, for one, will be using Borg Warner's components for the dual-clutch transmissions it plans to produce in the U.S. in cooperation with Germany's Getrag Group starting in 2009.

At full-launch of announced programs under contract in 2012-'13, Borg Warner says it will be providing DualTronic technology to an expected 2.3 million dual-clutch transmissions per year. Currently, fewer than 450,000 dual-clutch transmissions are produced each year — all with Borg Warner modules — but the company is working on more than 20 programs with transmission and vehicle makers around the world.

The use of the dual-clutch transmission for the 2009 Nissan GT-R marks the first application of the technology to a rear-mounted transaxle (front engine and transmission at the rear) layout.

The GT-R's six-speed transmission features four of Borg Warner's DualTronic technologies, says the company, including the integrated dual-clutch module, clutch-control and shift-actuation modules, and synchronizer assemblies. The GT-R will go on sale in Japan next month and be available in other markets including the U.S. next year.

Borg Warner also told the investment community this week it currently is negotiating with a number of Chinese automakers who are interested in dual-clutch transmissions. And despite the fact that today's dual-clutch technology is far from inexpensive, the company says it is developing next-generation dual-clutch transmissions for low-cost vehicles in emerging markets.

What this means to you: With dual-clutch technology rapidly spreading beyond the Volkswagen Group, you'll be able to get this excellent transmission choice from a wide range of different automakers.
Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=123311#2
Old 11-06-07, 08:49 AM
LexFather

bit, you reading this? Stop, investment time!!!

Old 11-06-07, 02:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Yep, the VW/Audi patent, production, and licensing rights will only last so long......then it's fair game for others.

I will be especially glad to see BMW adopt it (if they do). I've never liked the BMW SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox) transmission. It's too rough-shifting and unrefined.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-06-07 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-06-07, 02:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree.....probably not a bad investment, but I think a better one may be upcoming diesel technology.
Old 11-06-07, 11:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
rofl - well I just looked it up, yes, it's been on a roll from $45 to over $70 a share just this year.

I should have bought the stock right after I first drove a DSG cuz I KNEW it was a great thing!
Old 11-07-07, 05:31 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove the GTi w/DSG when if first came out. I love the DSG, and maybe I should have got the GTi. I think this tranny needs to be on other cars especially higher price cars like BMW, Lexus, Porsche, MB etc..

My next car probably will have DSG-type tranny.

It's not mentioned in the article but the EVO X will also feature a dual-clutch tranny.

I so liked the VW w/DSG but I am the type to let others take the first step and I wonder if any word on how the DSGs hold up over time.
Old 11-12-07, 07:33 AM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well... from first-hand experience, this DSG tranny is amazing! I never in a millon years thought I would buy a sporty car like the GTI without a manual till I drove it with the DSG.