Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan named in wrongful death suit

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-07, 01:03 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with you all. Nissan shouldn't be held liable, unless as 1Sick mentioned there really was a hidden flaw that coule cause fire upon impact that Nissan new about. I find that extremely unlikely though. I have seen pictures or video from our news footage of so many different types of cars on fire or that have caught on fire that to sue each manufacturer that made these cars would mean we would have to sue every single car manufactuerer out there.

I have sympathy for the families loss, but I have no sympathy nor for their lawsuit against Nissan. Sue the street racers sure, but don't sue Nissan.
Old 11-07-07, 01:08 AM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what intersection or street did this accident occur at? sorry i'm off topic..
Old 11-07-07, 06:08 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tex2670
Holy sheet?! Someone tried to sue for that??

EDIT: Found it--family had a QX45, opted NOT to get the camera, and sued b/c they say it is such an important piece of safety equipment, it should have been standard:

http://www.automotivearticles.com/12...Daughter.shtml
They should have their licenses revoked because people didn't always have back up camera technology. I've never ran some one over backing up. How stupid can you be?
"Where's Billy?"
"I don't know I saw him running around the back of the car somewhere, but we're late so let's get going."
*bump*
"OH MY GOD BILLY WE COULD'VE SEEN YOU IF WE HAD A BACKUP CAMERA! WE WERE TOO CHEAP TO GET THE OPTION AND NOW WE'RE GONNA SUE NISSAN"
Old 11-07-07, 06:24 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
They should have their licenses revoked because people didn't always have back up camera technology. I've never ran some one over backing up. How stupid can you be?
"Where's Billy?"
"I don't know I saw him running around the back of the car somewhere, but we're late so let's get going."
*bump*
"OH MY GOD BILLY WE COULD'VE SEEN YOU IF WE HAD A BACKUP CAMERA! WE WERE TOO CHEAP TO GET THE OPTION AND NOW WE'RE GONNA SUE NISSAN"
I'm not ready to go that far, and call them stupid for doing this. Unless I see an account of facts that tell me otherwise, I would assume it's a horrible accident. People don't mean to run over their young kids (teenagers, mabye)--sometimes bad things happen. Mom thinks dad's watching the kid while dad thinks mom's watching the kid; no one realized the kid has opened the outside door wanting to go for a ride with dad--you don't know exactly what happened, so don't be so quick to judge.

HOWEVER--to try and put any ounce of blame on Nissan is just reprehensible. I'm sure these parents feel overwhelming guilt over what happened, and the fact that they declined the rear camera option--but take a little responsibility.
Old 11-07-07, 06:32 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if there was a defect they have grounds for a suit, although I'm not sure how the family has evidence of the possibility of a hidden and ignored defect to start this claim. That had to be one hell of a collision to ignite the gas from a side impact
Old 11-07-07, 07:24 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

This is so stupid. So let me get this straight a car is hit by two people racing who easily exceeded the speed limit and after the collision the passengers were injured they were still alive but injured. So because nissans car exploded after hit at a speed noone would be driving in america the car is a defect and they get sued. We really need to rethink or legal system.
Old 11-07-07, 07:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think its another crap lawsuit UNLESS there was indeed a defect Nissan hid. As one that has driven the newer Altimas, no joke the doors are as thin as a sheet of foil.
The doors can be as thin as paper, Mike (and they are on some cars) but Federal law requires strong door-beams under the sheet metal for all cars sold in the U.S. And, as O.L.T. points out, they are tested to DOT/NHTSA standards. Subaru's B-pillars, for example, are so strong that firemen have problems even trying to cut them with their big Jaw tools.

The question here, though (and ther article didn't say) was whether this was an Altima built to U.S. safety standards (could have been a gray-market car). And even if it was U.S. spec, this was clearly an excessive impact....you can't expect it to be an M1 Army tank.

Also, while it is easy to but blame on those two moronic street-racers (and I agree they are basically at fault), there are plenty of CL people right here who boast of their own street racing every day, despite the fact the the forum clearly does not encourage street racing.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-07-07 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-07-07, 07:45 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

there actually was a flaw with the current 07+ altys that could have possibly lead to the car catching fire in the engine bay

nissan put out a recall for that months ago

question is if that's related to what happened here. and if so, what sort of liability nissan should have if any
Old 11-07-07, 07:50 AM
S8B
Lead Lap

Another rediculous American Lawsuit

I feel sorry for the people who died, but honestly, is this lawsuit necessary? Somebody crashed into someone elses vehicle at a high rate of speed and, consequently the passengers & driver died. Nothing too supricing from such an impact.

100 million dollars is over the top

Old 11-07-07, 11:25 AM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
there actually was a flaw with the current 07+ altys that could have possibly lead to the car catching fire in the engine bay

nissan put out a recall for that months ago

question is if that's related to what happened here. and if so, what sort of liability nissan should have if any
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...-pe-california

From the pic here, it looks like a 2002-06 Altima, so I don't know if this "flaw" applies to this Altima in question. Honestly, it remains to be seen if this suit against NNA has merit. No problem going after those ricer punks who caused the tragedy.
Old 11-07-07, 12:07 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

crazy law suit, I feel sorry for the family, but this is common sense that no car is bullet proof and crash proof!!