Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Suzuki SX-4 sedan introduced....but no AWD .

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-07, 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Suzuki SX-4 sedan introduced....but no AWD .

Some of you may remember my glowing review of the small Suzuki SX-4 in September of 2006....and what an astounding bargain I thought it was (and still do). (I'll include that review for reference).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=review+suzuki

It is still the lowest-priced AWD car available in the American market, and undercuts the Subaru Impreza (even with the Impreza's new, base-version lower price for 2008) by $1500-2000. The rumored 4-door sedan has now been introduced...at an even slightly lower base price (now down to $14,770), but, sadly, does NOT include AWD, even as an option.

I don't know why Suzuki decided on this course, except perhaps to serve as a replacemant for the FWD Aerio sedan and wagon being discontinued (the Aerio was also available in AWD).

I won't bother to review the sedan....most of my comments about the general build quality and interior materials of the AWD SX-4 5-door would probably apply anyway, and Road and Track has already done a pretty good write-up on the new sedan. Here it is:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6045

And here is another good write-up from Car and Driver:

http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroa...sx4-sport.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-07-07 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-08-07, 03:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I have to confess I'm a little disappointed, as I had hoped the SX4 sedan would be good AWD competition for the base Impreza sedan, but such is not the case. Even as a Subaru fan, I'm all for competition and choice.
Old 11-08-07, 03:40 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

Holy cow, Suzuki makes cars now?? I thought they only make motorcycles. Ducati should make cars!

Sorry, I've been living under a rock for some time now.
Old 11-08-07, 03:43 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

you must be bored replying to yourself..jk

anyway, the biggest disappointment is that we don't get the JDM Suzuki Swift, which is critically acclaimed in Asia :

Old 11-08-07, 04:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

=ST430;3043281]you must be bored replying to yourself..jk
Nothing on CAR CHAT is boring. Never was.........never will be.
Check out the Edmunds car chat forums if you want to read some boring stuff.

anyway, the biggest disappointment is that we don't get the JDM Suzuki Swift, which is critically acclaimed in Asia :

The previous Suzuki Swift was sold here both under its own nameplate and, in a slightly modified form, as the Chevrolet/Geo Metro. Suzuki pulled the Swift from the American market (probably from low sales.....the Swift never sold in the numbers the Metro did), and Chevrolet turned to Korean automaker Daewoo for the Metro's replacement......the Aveo.

If the last Swift didn't sell too "Swiftly" here in America, there is little reason to believe that the newer version you speak of will either. That's also the reason the Aerio is being pulled....low sales, and, of course, the SX-4 pretty much being a replacement. Unfortunately, while I don't have the hard sales numbers so far (Robparata and 1SICKLEX keep up much better with those figures than I do), from what I've seen in the DC area (and one of the largest new-car markets in the country) the AWD SX-4 wagon doesn't seem to be doing very well either...the Impreza is killing it in sales, which is perhaps not surprising when you have Subaru's vastly greater experience and name recognition in AWD cars. But the SX-4 wagon is an astounding value for what you get.....if more people actually went and looked at it, it would probabaly sell better.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-08-07 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-08-07, 05:26 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

If the last Swift didn't sell too "Swiftly" here in America, there is little reason to believe that the newer version you speak of will either. That's also the reason the Aerio is being pulled....low sales, and, of course, the SX-4 pretty much being a replacement. ...
The past Suzuki Swift (Geo Metro twin) has nothing on this in-house designed. Car and Driver Asia called this one of the top cars availabel out there comparable to the much more expensive Mini. With a wealth of aftermarket support, as well as good looks (great proportions, well designed interior) and low costs and great driving dynamics, I think it would be an easy hit here. it was ranked above the Fit as well as the 4 Door Yaris Hatchback in comparisons. In fact, in light of these reviews, Suzuki announced they will bring the next generation of the Swift to America (http://www.autoblog.com/2006/01/23/s...ng-to-america/)...
Old 11-09-07, 05:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
The past Suzuki Swift (Geo Metro twin) has nothing on this in-house designed. Car and Driver Asia called this one of the top cars availabel out there comparable to the much more expensive Mini. With a wealth of aftermarket support, as well as good looks (great proportions, well designed interior) and low costs and great driving dynamics, I think it would be an easy hit here. it was ranked above the Fit as well as the 4 Door Yaris Hatchback in comparisons. In fact, in light of these reviews, Suzuki announced they will bring the next generation of the Swift to America (http://www.autoblog.com/2006/01/23/s...ng-to-america/)...
OK....since I have not actually seen the new Swift except in your picture (and presumably you have), I'll take your word for it. The last Swift sold in the U.S., though, as you yourself know, was essentially just a commuter-car piece of tin. It was good for gas mileage, parking in tight spaces, and little else.