Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi considers compact A1 for the U.S. market

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 07:53 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Audi considers compact A1 for the U.S. market

Audi considers compact A1 for the U.S. market

November 7th, 2007

Audi recently unveiled their new Audi Metroproject Quattro Concept at the Tokyo Motor Show. The concept is said to be the first design study of the upcoming Audi A1. It is now reported that Audi is considering the car for the U.S. market despite the slow sales of its compact A3.

“There is absolutely a potential for that kind of vehicle in America,” Rupert Stadler, Audi’s CEO, said at the Tokyo Motor Show. “With the A3, we have demonstrated that we can develop a new segment.”

The production of the A1 is scheduled to begin in 2009 and Stadler believes the vehicles could do wonders for Audi in the U.S. market in the B segment. If the Audi A1 does make it to the U.S., the compact car will be a direct rival to the BMW 1-Series, which arrives in dealerships this spring.

Stadler says that Americans have always viewed small cars like the A1 as cheap and inexpensive. However with the success of the Mini Cooper and the Smart ForTwo hitting the roads in the U.S. in January, Stadler believes the Audi A1 could appeal to the U.S. consumers.

Audi is expected to unveil the baby-SUV version of the Q7, known to be badged the Q5, next week at the LA Auto Show.
Old 11-08-07, 07:57 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Interior :

Old 11-08-07, 07:59 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This car feels absolutely nothing like an Audi. The interior is so cheapened compared to the awesome Audi interiors. The exterior lacks a lot of Audi design elements.
Old 11-08-07, 08:15 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BMW can get away with it because they don't have an "economy" line-up (I wouldn't consider the MINI an economy car).

Audi does have an economy line-up through VW. I think they will do better by leaving the cheaper and smaller vehicles to VW, and let Audi maintain its reputation for luxurious and sporty vehicles.

I don't think the A1 will enhance nor provide a better name-brand reputation for Audi...
Old 11-08-07, 09:11 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
BMW can get away with it because they don't have an "economy" line-up (I wouldn't consider the MINI an economy car).

Audi does have an economy line-up through VW. I think they will do better by leaving the cheaper and smaller vehicles to VW, and let Audi maintain its reputation for luxurious and sporty vehicles.

I don't think the A1 will enhance nor provide a better name-brand reputation for Audi...
They want to sell economy cars thru Audi, lux cars thru VW--what on earth are they doing?
Old 11-08-07, 09:20 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That interior looks pretty cool in a techy sort of way. I can definitely see that as a quirky competitive car to the Cooper, but not the 1 series.

The lack of a B-pillar is very interesting. I wonder if that would carry over to the real design or if it's just to make the concept look neat? If it's really intended to be designed that way I wonder what they changed structurally to allow for a lack of support there? Obviously a great candidate for a convertible model since the chassis is already OK without the B-pillar.
Old 11-08-07, 09:23 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

I disagree. While this car is sinfully ugly, Audi desperately needs to get in the game here in the US. They are currently behind MB, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, & Cadillac in sales. I think it's a great idea for them to offer something more economical than what they're currently offering here. I say they should bring this over here, sell some units, and build upon that.

I honestly believe Audi doesn't do better in the US simply because the American public never really sees their vehicles on the streets. They need more brand recognition here and if it means going downmarket to get the public more aware of their other products, then so be it.

Oh and I doubt most people even realize that Volkswagen is the "economy line" for Audi anyway, so I don't think offering this vehicle would cannibalize their sales much, if at all.
Old 11-08-07, 11:17 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is cute... hey, better than 1-series, right?
Old 11-08-07, 11:31 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
I disagree. While this car is sinfully ugly, Audi desperately needs to get in the game here in the US.
True. But to offer the A1 will not help their image in the U.S.

For example, Hyundai is getting more luxurious, and Audi is getting less luxurious. That isn't a good sign from Audi...
Old 11-08-07, 11:56 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This just screams ugly to me.
Old 11-08-07, 11:59 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

can someone check to see if the exhaust tips are intergrated?

I think it's a cool looking car and love that interior design.. it looks different.
Old 11-10-07, 11:26 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Porsche can't take over soon enough... VWAG corporate is hopelessly lost.
Old 11-11-07, 08:04 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

its like a micro-eos