Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus, BMW, Mercedes Benz?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 04:54 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus, BMW, Mercedes Benz?

The thread about, "How much do you like your IS?" got me to thinking about where does Lexus actually fit in, in the upper echelon of automobiles.

My question to all is this and it could be different depending on where you live.

Do you consider Lexus in the class of BMW and Mercedes Benz? I do, and let me explain why.

Here in Texas in causal conversation it's always a statement like this, "Oh, do you have a Lexus, Mercedes or BMW?". I know that's basically not an explanation, but it is how it's stated so much here in Texas. It's always Lexus, Mercedes and BMW.

I actually consider a Lexus, even the IS, since they redesigned it, to be in the upper classes of autos. I did not include Porsche, because they are basically all sports cars and I didn't consider Bentley, RR, Ferrari, etc., because we all know that they are even in a different league of their own.

No disrespect intended, but I never hear Acura or Infiniti used when it comes to car conversations for the upper end.

Many of you may disagree with me, but I really do consider Lexus to be "higher on the ladder rung" than Acura and Infiniti and even Jaguar if you can believe that.

Maybe this has been covered before and I'm sure it has, but I'm "posting out loud".

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Old 11-08-07, 05:46 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Actually, your opinion is quite valid. There are quite a number of automotive executives and analysts who regard Tier 1 in the US as Benz, BMW, and Lexus. Articles by for instance quoting Lincoln or Cadillac, or Infiniti execs have mentioned the upper echelon being so in the U.S. market.

It's quite common to hear a "BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus." I actually heard Tim Russert say it once on Meet the Press too.

From a pure sales point, it is #1 Lexus, #2 BMW, #3 Benz for years now. From a prestige POV, research studies have recently put #1 Porsche, #2 Benz, #3 Lexus for awhile now.
Old 11-08-07, 06:26 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Old Oiler
Do you consider Lexus in the class of BMW and Mercedes Benz? I do, and let me explain why.

Maybe this has been covered before and I'm sure it has, but I'm "posting out loud".
Covered directly - probably not. Indirectly - well that's the reason this might do better posted in the Debate Forum.
Old 11-08-07, 07:11 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by enigma888
From a prestige POV, research studies have recently put #1 Porsche, #2 Benz, #3 Lexus for awhile now.
As of 2007, Lexus has officially tied Mercedes-Benz, according to Luxury Institute, which does this survey on an annual basis.
http://www.luxuryinstitute.com/docli...7f2c1ecdcf.pdf
Old 11-08-07, 07:17 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

While it's good that Luxury Institute's survey found Lexus tying Mercedes in prestige based on wealthy owners, I still don't think it necessarily reflects the perception of the general public though, which I think would likely still look at Mercedes or even BMW as higher in prestige.
Old 11-08-07, 07:28 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At least for the U.S, it's true.

However, in Europe and Asia, Lexus is still "second-class."
Old 11-08-07, 09:57 PM
LexFather

There is RR, Bentley and Maybach.

There is Benz, BMW and Lexus. (and Audi Worldwide, in America though it barely exists)

And there is everyone else who really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

I give Audi and Caddy props though. Audi really is killer

Last edited by LexFather; 11-08-07 at 10:03 PM.

Old 11-08-07, 10:01 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

BMW and Mercs are the benchmarks when it comes to classy and luxury driving. Because of their well known statuses throughout the world, and their long time establishments, both on their own accord and with the rich and famous, it's no wonder people see them as the 'best'. Other Luxury brands like Jag, Jeep, Rover lack the attention purely becos of the rarity of their existence in society (and somewhat a little below par in the quality department). Then the brands from brands that is Infinity, Acura and Lexus. Of these only Lexus stands out and we know why. Lexus has announced that it is now a stand-alone brand, and with this decision, people will acknowledge it more and more ... as a luxury brand to rival BMW and Mercs.

Give it time and soon Mercs/BMW will be called 'European Lexus', as apposed to Lexus 'Japanese Mercedes'.
Old 11-08-07, 10:14 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Around here, the big names are BMW and Mercedes. Most of the lexus in my area are RX/ES/IS. None of the higher end models. But you do see a lot of 5/7-series and E/S-classes.
Old 11-08-07, 10:17 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally could give a rats behind what class Lexus or any of the other cars are in. I buy the car based on the car itself and not really the badge. My break down of car classes are much smaller than other peoples and even ten industry. I simply use economy cars, luxury cars, sports cars, exotics, and of course those ultra luxury cars like Bentley, Rolls Royce and such. So, for me, economy cars cover all cars like Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Hyundai and the like. Luxury cars cover all cars like Acura, Infiniti, Lexus, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, and the like. Sports cars cover Corvettes, Porsches, and such. Exotics cover Ferrari, Lamborghini and such. Ultra Luxury as I mentioned cover Bentley, Rolls and such.

For me, splitting luxury cars in to Tier 1, entry level and whatnot are just nonsense. It is just a way to make people feel more up scale than the next guy. I do use entry level, and Tier 1 and such for comparisons reasons just because the industry uses it and it is easier for others to compare that way, but I personally could care less.

Here is my example. I consider an Acura RL much more high end and luxurious over a Lexus IS350, RX350, ES350 and such. Just because Lexus is considered to be a higher tier luxury name than Acura, I wouldn't consider cars like the RL, Infiniti M35/45, Audi A6, to be less of a luxury car than a Lexus IS or ES. In fact, I would place those cars higher on the luxury food chain myself.

I buy my cars the way I dress. I buy that I want, like, and does the job I want it to do. I'm definitely NOT a name brand ***** and for most things I wouldn't pay extra money just for the name when a lesser name does the job just as well.
Old 11-08-07, 10:22 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Lexus is only considered tier 1 in the US. Everywhere else it is just "second class" as another forum member has stated. Audi doesnt seem to get the recognition it deserves since it does sell great in europe. Lexus just built their reputation in america over the years for good service and reliability. A great way for any brand to start. I personally still consider MB and BMW to be the top players for luxury cars. I, as well as most of my friends and family still group lexus, infiniti and acura together. Though i think lexus is a few steps higher than acura and infiniti. Cadillac i'd say used to be a big player in the luxury department, but not so much now.
Old 11-08-07, 10:29 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
I personally still consider MB and BMW to be the top players for luxury cars. I, as well as most of my friends and family still group lexus, infiniti and acura together. Though i think lexus is a few steps higher than acura and infiniti.
I would agree. They way I see it, it is like the NFL or any other Pro League. You have your traditional top teams, your up and coming middle of the pack, and your teams that have never made it to the payoffs in decades or ever. Obviously you can see who the major players are, but they are all still NFL, NBA or whatever teams. I definitely CAN NOT agree that manufacturers like Acura, Infiniti and such are Collage Teams while the rest are Pro Teams. I can agree that just like how sometimes a great collage team can beat an extremely crappy Pro team here and there, it is the same with the cars I refer to.
Old 11-08-07, 10:31 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 345 Likes on 224 Posts

They are hard to group because each one does a certain thing.

Lexus is pretty much straight luxo. I mean, they are trying to be sporty with the IS, but really...... stacked against an AMG or an ///M car...... let's be real. "green light ..........POOF!....GONE!"

Mercedes has both luxo and sport, as well as packing the highest HP motors of the three and arguably - but most would agree - they make the sexiest cars out there.

BMW is more sport than anything, with the 7 series being the luxo line.

It's hard to group them with all of them being different, but I believe they all hold a similar respect with the community as all being top tier cars for the masses.
Old 11-08-07, 10:35 PM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

Each of the brands has its own unique character... why we have threads like this! Each is good and unique and it depends on what is important to you...

I think of BMW as a "bottom up" kind of company mainly built on the prestige of the 3 and 5 series... Mercedes is a "top down" company whose prestige mainly derives from its high end sedans... Lexus kinda fits nicely in the middle...

In one key area Lexus does not quite play in the same realm as Mercedes and BMW... It has no V12 ultra high level sedan... No 760L, S600 or S65 equivalent.. (The LS600h is NOT it!) nothing in the price range which starts to overlap into Bentley territory and which is an additional driver of prestige and exclusivity for many...

Chris
Old 11-08-07, 10:44 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 345 Likes on 224 Posts

I used to always go by this one way of telling you your car has "made it" into the respect category or not. I find this to be EXTREMELY ACCURATE when I look around at multi-brand dealers and people's driveways..........

What "company" does each brand keep beside it either in the driveway or on the lot?

Someone who owns a Bentley is likely to own a Mercedes.

Someone who owns a Lambo is likely to own an ///M series BMW (or an AMG Mercedes).

Lexus owners USUALLY do not own exotics. The brand is targeted at the practical owner and misses a little of the exclusive red carpet. This IMO is what hindrances Lexus from being the true prestigious highline.

Look around at the dealers and you'll see the one's who sell multiple brands (highline pre-owned for instance) will generally sell Mercedes, Jaguar, Porsche, and Rover together on the same lot. (Highline Prestige brands). Then they'll sell BMW, Lexus, Infiniti on another lot. (middle, upper middle prestige).

In America, the soccer mom is king. Mercedes SUV's, BMW's, and RX330's are the public perception of highline IMO.

Quick Reply: Lexus, BMW, Mercedes Benz?