Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should Acura drop the RL?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-07, 03:43 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Acura actually sells its vehicles where I live. They've been here since late 2004, and I echo comments mentioned above, those who come in for the RL get the TL. I rarely seen an RL here. For the price, there are other offerings. In the marketing scheme, Acura does ZERO to distinguish this vehicle or even set it apart.
Old 11-09-07, 04:25 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
In early 2005, everyone was buzzing about the release of the 3 new Executive Class models from Lexus, Infiniti, & Acura. Lexus was about to put out their new GS, Infiniti was about to put out their new M, and Acura was about to put out their new RL. The playing field seemed pretty even at that point.

Fast forward two and a half years later, and both the Lexus GS & Infiniti M routinely sell over 1500 units/month, yet the RL is currently struggling at around 300-400 units/month. Both the GS & M are outselling the RL by at least 4:1.

It's pretty obvious at this point that the Acura RL is a sales flop and has not lived up to expectations. So the question is, should Acura drop it from its lineup? And if not, then how long should they wait until making that decision?

Infiniti was smart to do away with the Q once sales slumped so low that it wasn't worth keeping it in their lineup anymore. They seemed to realize that maybe it was time to just pull back for awhile and concentrate on solidifying some of their other models first before investing anymore time and money into the current model Q.

So, should Acura perhaps do the same?
If not, then what could they do to revive the RL and keep it in their lineup? I can't imagine them keeping it around if sales plummet to less than 200 units/month, which is where it seems to be heading at the moment.

So, what do you think they should do?
Infiniti could afford to drop the Q45 because the M45 made it unnecessary. If Acura drops the RL, they need something to take its place.

But--Acura's problem has been that they don't strive to have a true lux car like the LS or the M45. They are content having their flagship be a car that competes with the "Executive" (middle) models of other companies. To make matters worse, their entry is not the class leader. It's also not that big--I think there was another thread that noted the new Accord is bigger than the RL. Super Handling All Wheel Drive isn't enough to attract people to the RL. When it debuted, the nav traffic was a new novelty. Competitors have it now. The styling is plain. I thought I read it hasn't been all that reliable either.

They need to BOTH inject the RL (or a replacement) with some life, AND come out with a V8 powered flagship that competes with the LS class of cars.
Old 11-09-07, 04:29 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Rumor Mill

There are rumblings that there was no usual 4th year MMC bc they are doing a major refresh early next year. Supposedly a new engine (I am guessing the MDX 3.7), new sheet metal & larger size.

Honda/Acura knows what they need to do but as usual they are dancing to the beat of their own drummer. Acura has a lot of potential but they have to put forth some effort; the new design center & dropping the RSX are a promising start ...

Back to the original question: dropping it would probably be bad since they need something other than an entry level luxury sedan but it needs major work & promotion. Major.

Old 11-09-07, 05:34 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think changing this car to RWD is going to help. Afterall, Acura/Honda buyers have always been buying FWD cars (save the NSX, S2000). Perhaps offering a high performance, fuel savvy option to the RL would entice some buyers, especially the Honda buyers coming into money looking to upgrade to such an option.

Acura has had bigger failures before
Old 11-09-07, 05:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
No I don't think they should get rid of the RL. It is ashame they don't sell more because it is an excellent car and in many ways superior to its competition. In my opinion it has the nicest interior of all its competition and it is built like a tank. It gets good to very good reviews by the car magazines and compares very well to its competition. Actually all 3 new mid level Japanese luxury are not doing that well or below expectations and it has alot to do with lesser priced models stealing sales from them which is not exactly a bad thing. The RL is my favorite mid level luxury car and it is actually nice that you don't see them everywhere all the time. I actaully see more RLs on the road the new GS or M so it seems odd they sell so much more.

The reason the RL is not selling that well is not due to the actual car being bad or lackluster but other reasons like lack of drivetrain/engine options, the last RL being pretty lackluster and not very well recognized nor did the last one sell well, the TL is generally thought of to have a much nicer and edgier exterior and is roughly the same size but much less expensive which is why many just end up chosing the TL over the RL, etc. The car is actually a very good choice and value at least compared to its competition.

Acura should do a pretty extensive mid cycle refresh and offer a turbo charged powerplant to like 375hp and bump up the base engine to around 310-315hp, offer more wood options like light birds eye maple as well as maybe some more wood accents like on the shifter and steering wheel like on the Japanese versions, have heated and cooled front and rear seats as well as power reclining/massaging rear seats, have night vision and distronic cruise like that is available on the Japanese version, update the exterior with a more aggressive facia and update the rear to look more luxurous and elegant, and for the love of god give it some decent rims instead of those plain aluminum rims and ugly cheap looking chrome rims. And finally change the name back to Acura "LEGEND" instead of RL which has no recognition in the market. Acura Legend has much more respect and recognition and they never should have changed the name or the formula to something else. Maybe offer a larger stretched version if that is possible.

There are rumors the next RL will be based on a RWD platform from the next NSX/ASC or whatever it will called that will offer a v-10 option,rwd only, and possibly a new v-8. There are also rumors a larger more expensive flagship sedan with be based on this platform as well as a larger mid priced coupe. I am sure these cars will sell better then the current RL although I will highly consider a used RL in the next few years after I get rid of the GS because I really like the current RL.
UDel has probably summed it up better here than anyone else. Having reviewed the car, I can tell you it is exactly as he has described it. Its hardware, sheet metal, and interior solidness is like a tank (it is better than its competitiors in this regard), its paint job is virtually Lexus-quality, the SH-AWD system is superb, and the engine has plenty of power for any reasonable kind of driving. I easily found it one of the Ten Best Cars I've ever reviewed or driven (along with the new LS460). The only thing I didn't like about it was the dash controller, an I-Drive-like ****....but even THAT ****, while inconvienent to use, is solid and appears to be thick metal rather than cheap plastic.

But the question is, should it be dropped if sales don't pick up? I don't want to sound like a hypocrite...I believe in putting your money where your mouth is. So I guess that gets around to the question of would I actually buy one to keep it on the market? (though one sale, obviously, wouldn't make much difference). Right now, as much as I like the car, probably not. 45-50K is more than I care to put into a car, especially since I usually get a new car every 4-5 years. I could easily afford one if I really wanted one that bad, but right now I want to keep plenty of money in reserve for if and when I decide to move further out into VA and away from DC........but that is another story for another thread, not this one.

And, last, the RL does seem to be getting reasonably popular around here. I don't see them in Lexus numbers, but people in this area do seem to appreciate it.
Old 11-09-07, 06:04 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess that's where you and I differ. I don't try to "put down" anything. I simply try to look at a situation objectively and point out clear problems or mistakes a car company might make (*ahem* hybrids that use V6/V8 engines that do not sell) instead of praising their every move. Point is, unlike some people (again, another *ahem*), I'm no fanboy. Infiniti was wise to do away with the Q. They had the choice to keep it around. It was still selling, granted in small quantities. But they chose to temporarily discontinue it for a few years and focus on the other vehicles within their lineup - smart move.

Anyway, this thread is about the Acura RL. It's not about the Infiniti Q45. If you can't stay on topic, then get out of my thread please.

Thank You
That's pretty hypocritical, you just said you don't put down anything and yet you clearly hint at Mike and his "fanboyism." Given I have seen Mike regularly pick on Infiniti/Nissan, I however do not call him a fanboy. He's even praised some Nissan/Infiniti's recently.

Originally Posted by tex2670
Infiniti could afford to drop the Q45 because the M45 made it unnecessary. If Acura drops the RL, they need something to take its place.

But--Acura's problem has been that they don't strive to have a true lux car like the LS or the M45. They are content having their flagship be a car that competes with the "Executive" (middle) models of other companies. To make matters worse, their entry is not the class leader. It's also not that big--I think there was another thread that noted the new Accord is bigger than the RL. Super Handling All Wheel Drive isn't enough to attract people to the RL. When it debuted, the nav traffic was a new novelty. Competitors have it now. The styling is plain. I thought I read it hasn't been all that reliable either.

They need to BOTH inject the RL (or a replacement) with some life, AND come out with a V8 powered flagship that competes with the LS class of cars.
I wouldn't really call the M35/45/x a true luxury car. It's built more around performance touring rather than a luxury car. The Q was a luxury car just poor marketing didn't give them sales.
I think the RL really has slumped into "executive" class persona. It's size is around the same size as others and it only provides a V6.
Honda needs to get it together. Everyone else has a V8 in the game and RWD. You can't change the market. Acura is becoming a niche market.
Old 11-09-07, 06:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Honda needs to get it together. Everyone else has a V8 in the game and RWD. You can't change the market. Acura is becoming a niche market.
Look at where the price of gas is going, though. Even 87 octane is pushing $3.00 now in my area........$4.00 premium in the near future, while not guaranteed, is a strong possibility. V8 powerplants may not have quite the popularity in the near future that they had in the past.

Now, that's not to say that the RL is an econobox....it certainly isn't, and the AWD adds drag and weight, even for the big V6, which affects mileage too. But my point is that just having a big V8 now may no longer guarantee sales.....in fact, those big V8's may soon be a niche market themselves.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-09-07 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-09-07, 08:23 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 813 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Look at where the price of gas is going, though. Even 87 octane is pushing $3.00 now in my area........$4.00 premium in the near future, while not guaranteed, is a strong possibility. V8 powerplants may not have quite the popularity in the near future that they had in the past.

Now, that's not to say that the RL is an econobox....it certainly isn't, and the AWD adds drag and weight, even for the big V6, which affects mileage too. But my point is that just having a big V8 now may no longer guarantee sales.....in fact, those big V8's may soon be a niche market themselves.
But you also have to consider that many of the people buying these cars would probably still opt for the v8 if gas was $8 a gallon. It's more of a status thing rather than a price thing.

IMO, Acura needs to make the RL bigger. They have two cars in the same class with one at a significantly lower price with no real loss in luxury. If they still want to offer a v6 then more power to them, but offer the v8 as an option.

Options are what is sorely missing from all Acura products. The only real choice you can make the color and the option package. No engine options, no choice between FWD and AWD, and only the TL and TSX offer transmission options (although I admit they are the only ones that need them).
Old 11-09-07, 08:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the 08 accord is actually as big as the RL, this just makes the bar that the new TL and RL have to reach/surpass even higher
Old 11-09-07, 09:16 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the 08 accord is actually as big as the RL, this just makes the bar that the new TL and RL have to reach/surpass even higher
Great point here. The Accord makes the TL and Rl pretty redundant. It offers maybe 90% of what both do/are.

I just said in another thread, if ACURA has a CHOICE to make. Go all out or stay a niche brand. If they do the former, they will NEED to do this.
TSX-true 3/IS etc competitor
TL-move up and make a 5/GS etc competitor
RL-move up and make a LS/S etc competitor

Make no mistake about it, the RL is NOT a bad car. On the contrary, its a really good car and clearly the most technologically advanced Honda sedan made. Sadly, the Acura brand's image simply doesn't get people to buy anything of theirs outside the MDX that costs 40k (and people buy 40k GM SUVs, etc).

Until they can prove they can get past that barrier....well....

Old 11-09-07, 09:20 AM
LexFather

I guess that's where you and I differ. I don't try to "put down" anything. I simply try to look at a situation objectively and point out clear problems or mistakes a car company might make (*ahem* hybrids that use V6/V8 engines that do not sell) instead of praising their every move. Point is, unlike some people (again, another *ahem*), I'm no fanboy. Infiniti was wise to do away with the Q. They had the choice to keep it around. It was still selling, granted in small quantities. But they chose to temporarily discontinue it for a few years and focus on the other vehicles within their lineup - smart move.

Anyway, this thread is about the Acura RL. It's not about the Infiniti Q45. If you can't stay on topic, then get out of my thread please.

Thank You
I am going to avoid this thread and again ask you change your handle because you have only shown your posts are not coherent and simply are not logical over and over.

You asked me to not talk about the Q45 and well, this is what YOU SAID in POST #1. LOL. If you don't want people to bring up other cars, try not to MENTION them in your first post. English 101.
POST#1
Originally Posted by [B
LetMeShowU[/B];3043941]

Infiniti was smart to do away with the Q once sales slumped so low that it wasn't worth keeping it in their lineup anymore. They seemed to realize that maybe it was time to just pull back for awhile and concentrate on solidifying some of their other models first before investing anymore time and money into the current model Q.

So, should Acura perhaps do the same?

So, what do you think they should do?

Old 11-09-07, 09:41 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am going to avoid this thread and again ask you change your handle because you have only shown your posts are not coherent and simply are not logical over and over.

You asked me to not talk about the Q45 and well, this is what YOU SAID in POST #1. LOL. If you don't want people to bring up other cars, try not to MENTION them in your first post. English 101.
POST#1
Oh, it's fine to discuss the Q45. I have no real problem with that. However, I don't want this thread, which is about the Acura RL, to be turned into yet another Infiniti-bashing/Q-bashing thread. Your comments were completely unnecessary IMO and you even went out of your way to post an offensive picture of a child with his head caught in a stroller to try and prove some kind of point

Of course, none of this comes as a surprise to me as I'm quite used to this behavior by now. The only thing that surprises me is that there weren't photos of cars that supposedly look like other cars included in addition to the offensive one you posted.
Old 11-09-07, 10:22 AM
LexFather

YOU make YOURSELF feel a post is offensive. Don't get mad if myself or someone states a fact, for instance;
The Q45 is discontinued. Now you say its OKAY to post about the Q45, after (again) I've proven your posts don't make sense.

Then you follow it up with baiting, as you have your conceptions about me that will never change.

Now, I strongly suggest not worrying about how I post and worry about how YOU post.

Or just do what YOU SAID you would do.

Well, I'm outta here, guys.

I have no more interest in posting on this site any longer.

Later

Last edited by LexFather; 11-09-07 at 10:25 AM.

Old 11-09-07, 10:35 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is not much that separates the RL from the TL since they are based on the same platform. I believe they are the same platform with AWD on the RL. Size wise, they are very similar.

Acura needs to create a brand new platform for a "flagship" sedan. This would be a perfect opportunity for Acura to create large RWD V8 sedan to replace the RL.
Old 11-09-07, 10:45 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Acura needs to bring the coupe back with some more power and possibly manual tranny. When legend was introduced it was ahead of its time. Also something about the FWD-style engine layout that bothers me. You don't see that on a 'luxury' car. Even the legend had RWD-style engine layout.

Quick Reply: Should Acura drop the RL?