Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should Acura drop the RL?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-07, 10:46 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am going to avoid this thread

YOU make YOURSELF feel a post is offensive. Don't get mad if myself or someone states a fact, for instance;
The Q45 is discontinued. Now you say its OKAY to post about the Q45, after (again) I've proven your posts don't make sense.
Yes, the Q has been discontinued, as I stated in my initial post. I suggested that it might be a good idea for Acura to do the same in regards to the RL. But that's about as much as this thread has to do with the Q. For you to bring up (yet again) that "the Q has been a failure for 18 years" is completely 100% irrelevant to this thread. Again, this thread is not about the Q, it is about the RL. Feel free to start a new thread on the Q, so you can attack it more in your own thread. But keep your negative opinions about Infiniti and the Q out of my thread please.

Then you follow it up with baiting, as you have your conceptions about me that will never change.

Now, I strongly suggest not worrying about how I post and worry about how YOU post.
And I strongly suggest that you think about how you come across to other members of this board. You rarely ever follow your own suggestions (i.e baiting, going off topic, attacking and offending other members, etc.), so you're not one to talk.

I am going to avoid this thread
Good, please do so.
Old 11-09-07, 10:48 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KA8
Acura needs to bring the coupe back with some more power and possibly manual tranny. When legend was introduced it was ahead of its time. Also something about the FWD-style engine layout that bothers me. You don't see that on a 'luxury' car. Even the legend had RWD-style engine layout.
I find the lack of RWD far more important than a longitudinal engine layout.
Old 11-09-07, 10:53 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

It is pretty bad that when i see the new 4 door accord from its side profile, it reminds me of an RL and a TL. That character line that it has makes them look too similar. Good for the accord but not for the RL
Old 11-09-07, 11:34 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The fact is that the RL/Legend has been a success, but is middling to failure now. The Q45 was never a success for 18 years, which is why it was cancelled. And, as others pointed out, they have the M35/45 to take up the slack, while Acura doesn't. The RL/Legend had a chance and that is why it should continue, to return to that success. Besides, at 200,000/yr sales, Acura is doing pretty good for the #2 Japanese luxury make, and needs a flagship to bolster that.
Old 11-09-07, 11:36 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KA8
Even the legend had RWD-style engine layout.
Good for extra power loss. 22% according to roomate with a '95 Legend 4 speed auto.
Old 11-09-07, 11:41 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

make an acura that can compete with the ls a big body v8/v10 luxury sedan with all the options that the merc, bmc and lexus has, until then i will always consider an acura a tarted honda , as much as i love acuras, they havent been able to differenciate themselves from honda in the same way lexus has from toyota. also, the q45 was a good car, but not good enough to be in the leagues with the s class ls and 7 series, but a blackon black 2001 q45 would look very nice in my driveway lol
Old 11-09-07, 12:07 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU

Yes, the Q has been discontinued, as I stated in my initial post. I suggested that it might be a good idea for Acura to do the same in regards to the RL. But that's about as much as this thread has to do with the Q. For you to bring up (yet again) that "the Q has been a failure for 18 years" is completely 100% irrelevant to this thread. Again, this thread is not about the Q, it is about the RL. Feel free to start a new thread on the Q, so you can attack it more in your own thread. But keep your negative opinions about Infiniti and the Q out of my thread please.

And I strongly suggest that you think about how you come across to other members of this board. You rarely ever follow your own suggestions (i.e baiting, going off topic, attacking and offending other members, etc.), so you're not one to talk.

Good, please do so.

Man...... If you don't sh__ the f__ ..... lol..(mods, I am only joking)

Here I am at work trying to get my read on and every other posts is arguing....relaaaaaxxxxxxxxx

Its a good point of discussion as the RL is a very good car that does so many things well but yet seems to be a "DUD"...
I personally love the RL when in the drivers seat, otherwise it is unimpressive. My brother owned one before the 07 S5 benz. The odd thing is he is thinking about purchasing another RL as a winter beater..lol (must be nice)
Old 11-09-07, 12:13 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by jmd93
make an acura that can compete with the ls a big body v8/v10 luxury sedan with all the options that the merc, bmc and lexus has, until then i will always consider an acura a tarted honda , as much as i love acuras, they havent been able to differenciate themselves from honda in the same way lexus has from toyota. also, the q45 was a good car, but not good enough to be in the leagues with the s class ls and 7 series, but a blackon black 2001 q45 would look very nice in my driveway lol
Q's can be had for very cheap since they're discontinued and sitting on lots still and that they aren't in demand. I think someone told me you can get one for half than sticker.
Old 11-09-07, 12:16 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
That's pretty hypocritical, you just said you don't put down anything and yet you clearly hint at Mike and his "fanboyism." Given I have seen Mike regularly pick on Infiniti/Nissan, I however do not call him a fanboy. He's even praised some Nissan/Infiniti's recently.

I wouldn't really call the M35/45/x a true luxury car. It's built more around performance touring rather than a luxury car. The Q was a luxury car just poor marketing didn't give them sales.
I think the RL really has slumped into "executive" class persona. It's size is around the same size as others and it only provides a V6.
Honda needs to get it together. Everyone else has a V8 in the game and RWD. You can't change the market. Acura is becoming a niche market.
I do recall that when the new M45 came out, a number of reviews questioned why you would purchase a Q45. I don't know how much more luxurious the Q was--it certainly, IMO, was less attractive.

The RL was never any better than "excutive" class. I used to have a 2000 TL--I never understood why anyone would get the prior gen RL over a TL--the RL wasn't any bigger, had (until they upgraded), a weaker engine, a 4sp tranny, no real addl luxury features, and was $10k more expensive. The current generation GRADUATES to "executive" class, which has been Acura's problem--they don't really have a true flagship car. And, in the "executive" class, it's a good solid car, but not a class beater by any means.
Old 11-09-07, 12:23 PM
Koma

I think what a large problem is that Acura has dug themselves into a fanbase of people who like FWD luxury sedans. And if they abandon that for a RWD chassis than they lose that fanbase but they still can't compete with the other luxury marques. It's really hard to cross-shop cars that don't have the same drive train type. And they need to upgrade from FWD when they keep adding more technology that weighs more and requires a bigger engine to move it. I guess SH-AWD is their answer but it's a pretty poor one considering it's cost.
Alot of people like the fact that they drive a glorified Honda (I mean that in the nicest way).
Old 11-09-07, 12:24 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good, please do so.
I am going to avoid this thread and again ask you change your handle because you have only shown your posts are not coherent and simply are not logical over and over.

You asked me to not talk about the Q45 and well, this is what YOU SAID in POST #1. LOL. If you don't want people to bring up other cars, try not to MENTION them in your first post. English 101.
POST#1
Oh, it's fine to discuss the Q45. I have no real problem with that. However, I don't want this thread, which is about the Acura RL, to be turned into yet another Infiniti-bashing/Q-bashing thread. Your comments were completely unnecessary IMO and you even went out of your way to post an offensive picture of a child with his head caught in a stroller to try and prove some kind of point

Of course, none of this comes as a surprise to me as I'm quite used to this behavior by now. The only thing that surprises me is that there weren't photos of cars that supposedly look like other cars included in addition to the offensive one you posted.
YOU make YOURSELF feel a post is offensive. Don't get mad if myself or someone states a fact, for instance;
The Q45 is discontinued. Now you say its OKAY to post about the Q45, after (again) I've proven your posts don't make sense.

Then you follow it up with baiting, as you have your conceptions about me that will never change.

Now, I strongly suggest not worrying about how I post and worry about how YOU post.

Or just do what YOU SAID you would do.

BOYS, BOYS. Take it outside, will ya? Just PM each other and work out your issues.
Old 11-09-07, 12:44 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Good for extra power loss. 22% according to roomate with a '95 Legend 4 speed auto.
let's see comparing to TL-S or CL-S(260hp version)... it's barely making 200hp at the wheels... compared to that 22% loss isn't bad. Plus this layout was designed for 91+ legends which I think is impressive.
Old 11-09-07, 12:50 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Its a very nice car, it just needs turbos, better rubber, and a better suspension setup.
Old 11-09-07, 12:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The legend had about 20% loss, which is not bad at all.
Old 11-09-07, 01:39 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

DOHC V8 engine and RWD are the must have for the future RL to even have a chance to become successful. When you look at the Acura/Honda mid-sized sedan, three models are so close in size, performance, and features level, and they are Acura RL, Acura TL, and Honda Accord V6 sedan. Now all of them are FWD, all of them have a 3.5L SOHC V6 engine with horsepower output from 270-290, all of them are mid to large car size, and most of the must have features in RL could also be found in a fully-loaded V6 Accord, let alone TL. And yet, their price are from $29,000 to almost $50,000. Why do I buy RL if I could almost get the same thing for so much less money when I buy TL or Accord V6? Therefore, Acura must differentiate these three cars more. Since TL and Accord sell, then the only car need changes is RL. Enlarge the next RL to at least 197" long and have a at least 4.0L V8 in it. Price it around the current RL level, then I think its sales would be drastically improved.

Quick Reply: Should Acura drop the RL?