Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IS350 and SC430

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-07, 07:04 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True.....in CA the winters are pretty mild except high in the mountains.

The average driver, though, on slippery roads, all else equal, does better with FWD than RWD and MUCH better with AWD....but you're correct that some SUV and AWD drivers are too overconfident, do stupid things, and pay the price.
The average driver is an idiot though. I'll give harut44 the benefit of the doubt and assume he's not a complete moron and he can manage to drive a moderately powerful rwd vehicle in the snow without crashing, it's not that difficult

Back on topic, I don't know if image matters to harut44 at all, but I would have to say most people don't even notice an IS, but when people see somebody roll up in an SC they usually think they're rich
Old 11-10-07, 07:13 PM
harut44
Driver

Thanks for all your input guys I really apreciate it.Anyway, in Southern California I have yet to see snow fall and I do agree there is a lot of moron drivers around here. Seriously though, winters are not a problem here at all. I love both cars but the only thing that would hold me back from the IS is that there are wayy to many of them out there. Once lease deals get somewhat good those cars appear everywhere.It seems like most are siding with the IS but anymore opinions will be welcome.

Last edited by harut44; 11-10-07 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-10-07, 07:34 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by harut44
Thanks for all your input guys I really apreciate it.Anyway, in Southern California I have yet to see rain fall and I do agree there is a lot of moron drivers around here. Seriously though, winters are not a problem here at all. I love both cars but the only thing that would hold me back from the IS is that there are wayy to many of them out there. Once lease deals get somewhat good those cars appear everywhere.It seems like most are siding with the IS but anymore opinions will be welcome.
I don't know how old you are, but if you're relatively young I would go with the SC. I honestly don't like the SC at all, but it seems like the ownership experience would be a lot more unique. Like you said, the IS really is everywhere while the SC is a lot more rare (partially due to the fact that nobody wants one )
Old 11-10-07, 08:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

IS350 will be more fun to drive, although neither is really exciting.
Old 11-10-07, 08:51 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
IS350 will be more fun to drive, although neither is really exciting.
Unless enthusiastically modified...
Old 11-10-07, 11:57 PM
harut44
Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Unless enthusiastically modified...

You guys do have a point that it can be more fun to drive but honestly I've driven both cars and:

Well, the SC had 20's and was significantly dropped and it did offer a very sporty feel to it on some of the twisties but it did lag on throttle response which I expected.

The IS is incredibly fast, second place in the fastest cars I've driven next to a c6 corvette. The most responsive car I've driven though is an e46 m3.

This is a very hard decision to make I'm getting mixed responses from everyone. I'm 17 (please don't flame me for being young every cent for this car is going to be covered by me including down payment) so I really don't need much room so that is something to consider.

It seems that more people are leaning towards the IS but the only thing that woudl hold me back is that there is an infinite number of them on the streets. It's almost like the previous G35's you couldn't drive two minutes without seeing at least one of them.
Old 11-11-07, 01:33 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a 430 and love it...

Lets put it this way.... anywhere you go in LA you see tons of 2nd gen IS's (250's & 350's). Occasionally you see a sc430 and its even more rare to see a nicely moded SC. I personally get a lot more attention in my SC then a 2IS. I cant even think of any 17 year old's around here who are rollin SC's... just think when summer rolls around and all your friends are heading to the beach you can drop the top and have a convertible to cruise PCH with.

but the 350 has the ability to smoke the $h!t outta the SC stock for stock. but once you begin to mod the sc you will be able to keep up.
Old 11-11-07, 01:43 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
I own a 430 and love it...

Lets put it this way.... anywhere you go in LA you see tons of 2nd gen IS's (250's & 350's). Occasionally you see a sc430 and its even more rare to see a nicely moded SC. I personally get a lot more attention in my SC then a 2IS. I cant even think of any 17 year old's around here who are rollin SC's...
well I can't really even think of any 17 year olds that really WANT to be seen rolling around in a SC430. Let's put it this way, an SC is kind of an older person's car.
Old 11-11-07, 03:29 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
well I can't really even think of any 17 year olds that really WANT to be seen rolling around in a SC430. Let's put it this way, an SC is kind of an older person's car.

True, but I am 22 and love my 430, and that's actually one reason I bought an SC over an IS350. Around where I live all the middle-upper class mommies and daddies buy their kids either a IS,3 Series, C class. So I wanted to differentiate myself from this group and go for something different, I bought myself a SC430 and I have yet to pull into a parking lot or valet and see another guy as young as me with a 430 let alone a modified 430. I guess its what’s your looking for, I did like the speed of the 350 but I hated the fact that every kid in high school gets one as soon as they start driving, so yea I am driving an old persons car... but I’m loving every minute of it.

Last edited by Lexiss_sc430; 11-11-07 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-11-07, 11:22 PM
harut44
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
True, but I am 22 and love my 430, and that's actually one reason I bought an SC over an IS350. Around where I live all the middle-upper class mommies and daddies buy their kids either a IS,3 Series, C class. So I wanted to differentiate myself from this group and go for something different, I bought myself a SC430 and I have yet to pull into a parking lot or valet and see another guy as young as me with a 430 let alone a modified 430. I guess its what’s your looking for, I did like the speed of the 350 but I hated the fact that every kid in high school gets one as soon as they start driving, so yea I am driving an old persons car... but I’m loving every minute of it.

Lexiss,

Very true man, this is the reason why the SC is a very big consideration for me. I mean every other car you see here in Socal is either one of those you mention, 3 series C Class and IS. I mean honestly though, the SC bare bone stock is a very old persons car.

But, slap on a wald kit, some NAD 8 wheels, a drop and c'mon tell me that's not hot...

I plan on spending about 5k for mods on either car and I think I would get the best outcome with the SC...I"m just stuck guys 75% of my friends say go with the IS but the SC doesn't leave my mind.

There are a lot of considerable cars for around 30K but out of all the choices these are really the ones I would love to be in.