Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Micra R

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-07, 03:07 PM
LexFather

Thumbs up Nissan Micra R

The automotive passion and will to create dynamic and fun to drive cars has been a British thing for quite a long time right now... so when Nissan UK decides to do "a little something" with the peaceful Micra city car, you can expect some serious modifications!

A quick look at the vehicle, and you know that this harmless fly has now become a killer bee; the Nissan Micra R is rocking the famous Red and Grey Nissan Motorsport paintjob seen all around the world, and especially in the Xanavi Nismo Fairlady Z racing in the Japanese Super GT championship.

The idea of a "brutal" Micra was first seen at the Geneva motor show, but his creator, Christopher Reitz, wanted it to do more than simply collecting dust in a garage or museum... then, Nissan UK manager, Mister Brian Carolin, decided to give the project to Ray Mallock Limited (RML), a structure which helped Nissan a great deal back in the late 90's with the amazing Primera BTCC.

The people in charge of the Nissan Micra R project started with a standard 1.4SX Micra, good for shopping but a bit soft no matter how hard you would hammer the right pedal. To fix this, the engineers decided to replace the engine by... a radiator and fuel tank! The engine now sits in the middle of the car, and is the 2.0 liter naturally aspirated that once helped the Primera BTCC to claim a good number of victories and podiums, a fully prepared race motor in the middle of a Nissan Micra! With this beast, the 0-60 mph takes around 5 shy seconds, on the way to a top speed of a hundred and fifty miles per hour.

Other mechanical parts include radiator and suspensions from the Almera, brakes (by Brembo) from the 350Z and GT-R, add to this some Toyo tyres and 18 inch Image Wheels, and you're guaranteed to turn heads. And as we're talking Great Britain, this car is road legal, homologated, and can still be used to go to the supermarket... thank God for the Brits!

Old 11-10-07, 03:08 PM
LexFather

I've been following this car in EVO and I think its fandamntastic!

Old 11-10-07, 03:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It is doubtful, right now, not only with this high-zoot R version, but with Micras in general, just how well a car like that would sell here in America, or be suited to American roads. The similiar-sized Renault 5 (LeCar) was sold here (and had a high-performance turbo Alpine version more or less similiar to the Micra R), but didn't last past the early 1980's.

But I'm sure that Nissan is careully watching sales of the Smart car here to see if there is a potential marketnow for micro-minis here.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-10-07 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-10-07, 03:39 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Micra is a neat little car in my opinion, but only 1.4 liter 88 hp and just under 15K USD down here. For that price, there are other vehicles with a little more space and power, so unfortunatey it kind of has a Smart-like reputation here in Mexico.
Old 11-10-07, 07:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Great fun car, but that's the fugliest stick shifter I've ever seen.
Old 11-11-07, 04:56 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I've been following this car in EVO and I think its fandamntastic!
Mike, then didn't you notice they are running the 350Z engine in there.
The 2.0 was in there like 2 years ago