Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I think my friend and I just won a new Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-07, 08:00 AM
Stelth91
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my friend and I just won a new Mercedes

A couple months ago my friend and I were at a mall. I saw this sweet E-class sitting on the ground level and I said "Lets go enter in the contest". When we get there, we filled out the forms and said that if either of us won, we would either split the car or the money, whatever they offered (I think it was between an X5, E-class, or $40k or something). So, yesterday, my friend calls me up and he says "Remember we entered in that contest in the Mall? Well, Did you receive something in the mail about winning?"
"No"
"Wow, i think i just won then."
He goes on the read the letter over the phone, it says something along the lines of contacting some phone number immediately, you've won a free vacation, an X5, an E-Class, or $40k to spend on a new car.

I'm just like, holy S***, because i am going over there today to call the people or whatever. I think i might have just won 20 thousand dollars......
Old 11-11-07, 08:08 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

dont get ur hopes up just yet....they might have some stupid restriction. good luck though.
Old 11-11-07, 08:30 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Whatever you win (if you did win), make sure that you save enough for the taxes... On April 15, Uncle Sam is going to come knocking looking for his 35%.

I hope you won!
Old 11-11-07, 09:01 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Have a feeling that you are going to find out that you won the "vacation" and I doubt it will be worth 40K. This of course will depend on you buying a time share or joining a club or some other such thing. An of course filling that little slip in you void the do not call list and put your name and info on whatever they decide to use it for. Hope I am wrong.
Old 11-11-07, 09:55 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

be careful what info you give them.
Old 11-11-07, 09:58 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Make sure your SSN, address, DOB, mother's maiden name, and credit card info are accurate when you hand them over...
Old 11-11-07, 10:21 AM
BLK98GS3
Lead Lap

I would be very carefully. The called my parents to tell them that they "won" a vacation but there were a bunch of hidden fees involved. They actually kept calling them, even though they never entered any more contests.
Old 11-11-07, 12:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Also, make sure it is the SAME contest that the E-Class you saw at the mall was featured in. You could be comparing apples and oranges....the "winner" notification your friend got could be for a different contest......one that requires you to go sit through real estate or some other promotion. Most people consider that junk mail and don't even open them.
Old 11-11-07, 12:41 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Also, make sure it is the SAME contest that the E-Class you saw at the mall was featured in. You could be comparing apples and oranges....the "winner" notification your friend got could be for a different contest......one that requires you to go sit through real estate or some other promotion. Most people consider that junk mail and don't even open them.
I made that mistake once. Went to a "short presentation" on cookware, which was like a long infomercial, so I could get a "free vacation." The vacation offer was one where you had to spend $X to stay at Y hotel and depended on whether they had tickets available on Z date. Totally bogus and big waste of time. Royal Prestige was the cookware seller. I looked them up on the BBB website and they had like fifteen different company names. That's a very bad sign right there...
Old 11-11-07, 12:50 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Dude relax... You're just being invited to a Timeshare Seminar.
Old 11-11-07, 01:39 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Any news yet? Did you win...
Old 11-11-07, 03:25 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a lot of these letters about. They get you to ring a premium rate phone number and then you find out you've won a "free" holiday - only it's either timeshare or with loads of add on costs.
Old 11-11-07, 03:36 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Guys, I just won Euro 1.1 million!

NEW MEDIA LOTTERY SERVICES PLC
('NMLS' or 'the Company')
AUDITED PRELIMINARY RESULTS

The Board of New Media Lottery Services PLC, the AIM traded supplier and white label operator of lottery systems and games for government approved lottery programs and charities, today announces its preliminary results for the year ended 30 October 2007.And your email address emerged alongside with two other as the first category winner.
Consequently you have therefore been approved for a total pay out of
Euro1.1 million, Commenting on today's announcement, Lord Mancroft, executive chairman is pleased to present New Media Lottery Services PLC's preliminary award price of the sum of Euro1.1 million.
To process the release of your winning claims you are required to provide the following information’s to our financial officer Nick
Rome:

1.Name in full:
2 Address:
3 Age:
4 Sex :
5 Occupation
6:Phone/Fax :
7 Country of residence:
8 Current email address:

Contact our financial officer Nick Rome with this email address:nmlsdept@myway.com n.financialdesk@yahoo.ie
Tel: +44 704-571-6877.
FAX: +44707-576-7547

The financial officer will draft a cheque in your favor upon the verification of your information’s under Section 150 of the Companies

Act 1963.

Sincerely,
John Carson
New Media Lottery Services PLC

This information is provided by RNS of the London Lottery Council
Old 11-11-07, 04:26 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

sounds like some time share scam.

But if it is real, I know a guy that won a Jaguar at a Lakers game for hitting a half court shot. Lakers are more trustworthy than some mall kiosk, but he didn't really WIN the CAR. He did win a Jaguar lease, had to turn the car in at the end of the lease.