Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Cadillac BRX spied

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-07, 05:41 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 2009 Cadillac BRX spied

One of our eagle-eyed compatriots spotted this all-new crossover during some high-altitude tests and managed to get a few photos before it got away. The BRX had been pegged by industry sources as a smaller, more economical replacement for Cadillac's slow-selling SRX, utilizing a long-wheelbase variation on the Theta II platform that underpins the new Saturn Vue. The size and packaging of this latest prototype, seen testing along side a Saturn Vue as they high-tailed it to safety, appears to support those initial reports.

This BRX prototype is thoroughly disguised, but its smart size and solid stance are clearly visible. A sharp midsection character line can be seen plunging downward from the C-pillar, toward the front front fender, hinting at some possible CTS overtones. The tester was also sporting some seven-spoked wheels that closely resemble the seven-spokers on Cadillac's current Escalade. An interesting side- window-line angles back sharply at the C-pillar, with a slight kink at the waistline.

The BRX is also expected to be shared with Saab (on a 9-4X), and the revised platform may also spawn a Buick variant as well. Engine options are expected to include both the 2.8- and 3.6-liter HF V6s, while a diesel will also be offered in Europe. The new CUV, perhaps available as early as next Fall, will be available in front- and all-wheel-drive configurations.
http://jalopnik.com/cars/2009-cadill...brx-321780.php
Old 11-12-07, 05:44 PM
LexFather

Puke..............

Old 11-12-07, 05:54 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cadillac Torrent/Equinox?? I see.... that's like saying Toyota should make a Lexus Corolla.
Old 11-12-07, 06:51 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

clearly to go against the x3, ex35, etc ... cute utes seem so silly to me ... just buy a wagon ... a cute ute is just a wagon that sits higher off the ground
Old 11-12-07, 06:53 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Does the B in BRX stand for boring?
Old 11-13-07, 12:33 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

is it based on the Acadia or something?
Old 11-13-07, 12:58 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Faymester
clearly to go against the x3, ex35, etc ... cute utes seem so silly to me ... just buy a wagon ... a cute ute is just a wagon that sits higher off the ground
Ahh, yes, but much more attractive

There seems to be alot of players entering this market nowadays. Acura has the RDX, Infiniti has the EX, BMW has the X3, Audi is supposed to be coming out with a Q3, and now Cadillac with this BRX. It's only a matter of time IMO before Lexus comes out with a small crossover of its own.
Old 11-13-07, 06:00 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Cadillac Torrent/Equinox?? I see.... that's like saying Toyota should make a Lexus Corolla.
The BRX will be on a new platform shared only with the Saab 9-4x, though its original design is supposed to be a mixture of Theta (Vue, Torrent) and Epsilon 2 (the platform for the 2009 9-5 and 2010 9-3)

I'd say it's like if Lexus decided to take the Rav-4, make significant upgrades to the existing chassis, put in a dramatically different power train, interior, and exterior, and then market it as Lexus' first competitor to vehicles like the BMW X3, Acura RDX, Infiniti EX and now this Cadillac BRX. My only question is when Lexus will enter this market, not if.
Old 11-13-07, 06:42 AM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Does the B in BRX stand for boring?
I would have to say it stands for "Brick", as in "please brick me". Meaning throw one at me to see if I can get any uglier.
Old 11-13-07, 08:06 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Faymester
I'm with you Fay 100%. Get a damn wagon which will get better gas mileage, be faster, look better and have more cargo room AND be safer.

Luxury Cute-Utes=trendy craptastic answer to a question no one asked.

I PRAY Lexus continues to avoid such a useless segment that tears down a companies image and prestige in the process.

Old 11-13-07, 08:07 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Gotta love GM, still trying to save the company by building more SUVs.

Aren't they busy giving away Tahoes and Silverados?

I guess if they can "badge-engineer" another model, why not?

After all, nobody is looking for an economy Cadillac.
That thing screams luxuxy... doesn't it?
Old 11-13-07, 08:11 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Gotta love GM, still trying to save the company by building more SUVs.

Aren't they busy giving away Tahoes and Silverados?

I guess if they can "badge-engineer" another model, why not?

After all, nobody is looking for an economy Cadillac.
That thing screams luxuxy... doesn't it?
They are answers to help sales only and they don't even help in that regard that much. The RDX and X3 have missed sales goals from day one.

Old 11-13-07, 08:11 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm with you Fay 100%. Get a damn wagon which will get better gas mileage, be faster, look better and have more cargo room AND be safer.

Luxury Cute-Utes=trendy craptastic answer to a question no one asked.

I PRAY Lexus continues to avoid such a useless segment that tears down a companies image and prestige in the process.
You could really apply everything you just said to the RX.
Old 11-13-07, 08:14 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Threxx
You could really apply everything you just said to the RX.
RX is not a Cute-Ute. These cars slot BELOW the RX. I mean how far below entry level do these companies want to go????

The X3 while sized like a cute-ute, is priced like the RX, so its different in that aspect.

The RX clearly knows its customer, selling over 100,000 copies every year. We both know the IS sportcross got the can.

Now imagine a SUV BELOW the RX? If Lexus can sell 100,000 RXs starting at 37k-50k, imagine a 30k-40k sub RX? THey would sell 250,000 of them.

Yuck.

Old 11-13-07, 09:06 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
RX is not a Cute-Ute. These cars slot BELOW the RX. I mean how far below entry level do these companies want to go????

The X3 while sized like a cute-ute, is priced like the RX, so its different in that aspect.

The RX clearly knows its customer, selling over 100,000 copies every year. We both know the IS sportcross got the can.

Now imagine a SUV BELOW the RX? If Lexus can sell 100,000 RXs starting at 37k-50k, imagine a 30k-40k sub RX? THey would sell 250,000 of them.

Yuck.
You might have forgotten that the 99-03 RX was smaller than this current RX. As small or smaller than what is now being called "cute utes". So I don't really see why since Lexus moved up in price and size with the RX, everyone over at the Lexus camp is turning their nose up at new vehicles from manufacturers that are filling the void left by these once "cute ute" sized SUVs that have all gotten considerably larger these days. I don't doubt that Lexus will come out with something similar soon enough - especially if the new RX gets any bigger than the current one. There's nothing wrong with a small premium SUV. Not everybody needs an SUV that seats 7 people, yet those people may prefer to stick with a premium brand premium equipped vehicle at the same time.

RX300:
Base MSRP: 32,005
Length: 180.1
Width 71.5
Height: 65.7
Weight: 3692

RDX:
Base MSRP: 33,195
Length: 181.1
Width: 73.6
Height 65.2
Weight: 3968

X3:
Base MSRP: 38,000
Length: 180.0
Width: 73.0
Height: 66.0
Weight: 4067

And while I don't have these specs for the Caddy BRX, I think we can all safely assume that its size will be at least that of the Saturn Vue, if not bigger.

Vue:
Length:180.1
Width: 72.8
Height: 67.0
Weight: 4325

Quick Reply: 2009 Cadillac BRX spied