Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Okay, MMarshall and I ask your automotive questions.... again

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-07, 07:13 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The problem with used luxury cars is that all luxury cars today are FILLED with technology, and as we know, the technology changes quickly and thus ages quickly. Who wants an original iPod? Who wants a car with a slow nav system that uses CDs? Like BMWs did until just a couple of years ago. Who wants a car with a cassette player? Oh wait, the current GS still has one. Who wants a car without side and other airbags? And maintaining older technology gets more and more expensive as the car ages. After a while there's a real shortage of parts or in some cases no parts except salvage.

Sure some people want these things, there will always be a market at some price. But as these cars get MORE sophisticated, they will age even more rapidly, like yesterday's PCs.
Very good point bit. Now Toyota just redid the Camry after only 4 1/2 years on the market and they revealed they are discovering more ways to shorten product lifespans.

Will the days of 3 year model generations come, instead of just a refresh?

Old 11-16-07, 10:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Very good point bit. Now Toyota just redid the Camry after only 4 1/2 years on the market and they revealed they are discovering more ways to shorten product lifespans.

Check out some of the materials used for the dash, climate/radio controls, and center console in this car. They are going to have a VERY short life span.
Old 11-16-07, 07:29 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

how about the toyota avalon, i think its the perfetc blend between soft cushy rides and sportiness, well sort off
Old 11-16-07, 07:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
how about the toyota avalon, i think its the perfetc blend between soft cushy rides and sportiness, well sort off
Today's model, yes, to an extent....the Touring verson more so. The first-generation Avalon was clearly a softly-sprung luxocruiser.

But I personally think the best compromise I ever saw between ride and handling is the bread-and butter (non M) BMW 5-series.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-16-07 at 07:40 PM.