Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 BestSellers (so far...)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-07, 12:12 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree styling is subjective and varies with personal taste....and maybe my tastes are probably a little more conservative than yours.

But if you get a chance to (and right now they might be hard to find......I had to really scrounge for the one I reviewed), drive a new Accord coupe, preferably the V6, and see what you think of it. I was astounded with its refinement, performance, and BMW-like steering manners and road feel.....about as close as a FWD layout can get.
Never drove an Integra Type-R I gather....that was the epitome of a balanced FWD layout...
Old 11-14-07, 12:17 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rfx45
^^^ I started seeing the new Accord, both sedan and coupe and I must say they are a huge disappointment. They maybe as "handsome" as a Hyundai Sonata, but that maybe where the problem lies. You don't copy Hyundai, Hyuandai copies you.

This is all personal preference but the sedan is almost unexplainable at how horrible it looks. The coupe reminds me too much of a Saturn Ion from just a bit more stretched out. Performance-wise, I have no doubt that it would be the top of it's class but when competing with the Altima (sedan & coupe) and the Camry's look, the Accord would have to be last on my list.
Totally agree here. The new Accord is horrendous looking. It looks like a Kia Rio from behind and that's not a good thing. There is no consistency with this design and the overall flow from back to front is way off. It stands out on the road, but not in a good way. Also, I think the new "Accord" badge looks tacky as well. The Camry & Altima are far more attractive inside and out and would choose either of them any day of the week over the new Accord.

Anyway, is anyone else surprised that the Prius is at #14?
Of all models in this top 20, it has increased in sales over the past year more than any other model (67%). Amazing. Now could you imagine how many more of these Toyota would sell if they were even remotely attractive?
Old 11-14-07, 12:25 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A real puzzler is why the Camry, with its ever-cheapening interior and the recent V6 transmission issues, continues to do so well, year after year. I suspect (and this is one thing I've noticed in showrooms) is that many people don't really LOOK at what they are getting....they come in and buy on image, reputation, or past experience, not on what is actually in the vehicle before them. So, because they had a bullet-proof Camry 10 or 15 years ago (when Camrys were like Swiss watches and perhaps the best mid-sized sedan in production) they just come in and automatically pick out a new one, without really looking at it.
I have to agree...I know that Asians (I'm one of them) will only buy a Camry (or Accord) based on that rationale and not look at other makes (I pick Toyota for not those reasons). I wonder if it's a cultural thing, as I see plenty of the new Camrys (and old) at the local Chinese plazas (there's one in my parents' driveway too, but it's the Hybrid).
Old 11-14-07, 12:33 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That;s basically average Asians buy, ( I am one of them, but I got out of camry and accords long time ago )
They buy accord and camrys because that's what everyone has, everyone likes, known value and etc..
so yes, maybe you are right ...
Old 11-14-07, 12:33 PM
ST430
Pole Position

And with all the talk about how popular SUV's are.......not a single one in the top 9 spots. And #10, the Honda CR-V, is a small, 4-cylinder, crossover, car-based SUV, not a real one.

A real puzzler is why the Camry, with its ever-cheapening interior and the recent V6 transmission issues, continues to do so well, year after year. I suspect (and this is one thing I've noticed in showrooms) is that many people don't really LOOK at what they are getting....they come in and buy on image, reputation, or past experience, not on what is actually in the vehicle before them. So, because they had a bullet-proof Camry 10 or 15 years ago (when Camrys were like Swiss watches and perhaps the best mid-sized sedan in production) they just come in and automatically pick out a new one, without really looking at it.
Funny, I had a Camry about 15 years ago (a 93 model in fact) and have driven the new Camry extensively.....the 2 are light years apart and i prefer this newer generation on all fronts: interior, exterior, spaciousness, nvh, etc.

also, the new accord is just hideously fugly...a saturn design wannabe imho...what happened to the design innovation at honda that introduced such great cars as the past 2 decades worth of accords?
Old 11-14-07, 12:43 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

It's also about brand loyalty. Most Filipino families are so loyal to Toyota that they don't even bother to look at other brands. If they want a sedan, they get a Camry, they want a truck, they get a Tundra, they want an SUV, they get a Highlander or Sequoia. Most of them doesn't look for alternatives. Toyota has done such a great job in the past that it follows them in the present and future. It's a standard they set themselves that people pretty much see a Toyota and see reliability right away.
Old 11-14-07, 12:58 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rfx45
It's also about brand loyalty. Most Filipino families are so loyal to Toyota that they don't even bother to look at other brands. If they want a sedan, they get a Camry, they want a truck, they get a Tundra, they want an SUV, they get a Highlander or Sequoia. Most of them doesn't look for alternatives. Toyota has done such a great job in the past that it follows them in the present and future. It's a standard they set themselves that people pretty much see a Toyota and see reliability right away.
strange, most Filipino families i know here in CA Bay Area have Acuras / Honduhs....
Old 11-14-07, 01:27 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Must be different here in SoCal. Honda's are common to regular Asian families and young people.
Old 11-14-07, 03:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Funny, I had a Camry about 15 years ago (a 93 model in fact) and have driven the new Camry extensively.....the 2 are light years apart and i prefer this newer generation on all fronts: interior, exterior, spaciousness, nvh, etc.
The new Camry is indeed more spacious inside (though in my new Camry review, my knee tended to hit the lower dash), simply by being a larger car than 15 years ago, and has a silky-smooth engine. But compare the material quality of the new one's interior with the superb Camry of 1992-96 (which IMO was the best one ever built) and I think you'll agree the new one is flimsy in comparison. If not, then, fine......as gentlemen, we will agree to disagree.
Old 11-14-07, 05:10 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDRAV4
I have to agree...I know that Asians (I'm one of them) will only buy a Camry (or Accord) based on that rationale and not look at other makes (I pick Toyota for not those reasons). I wonder if it's a cultural thing, as I see plenty of the new Camrys (and old) at the local Chinese plazas (there's one in my parents' driveway too, but it's the Hybrid).
How come they dont buy Subarus?