Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lincoln debuts 2009 MKS @ L.A. Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-07, 10:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Glad to see this. Though I'm sure I wasn't the only person to bring it up, It looks like Ford may have taken one of the suggestions I made to them several years ago....a Lincoln version of the Five Hundred/Taurus/Montego/Sable platform, possibly with AWD. Ever since the FWD Continental (which was really a stretched Taurus platform) was dropped, Lincoln didn't really have anything to take its place. The LS (since discontinued) was a RWD semi-sports sedan, and the smaller MKZ (Zephyr), while FWD/AWD, was in a smaller size class.

Here seems to be the car for Lincoln traditionalists who don't want the RWD Town Car or who want the extra traction of FWD/AWD and want something more substantial than the MKZ. I think this is going to be Lincoln's new bread-and-butter car. It is DEFINITELY on my review list when it comes out.

I just hope they square off the corners and roofline a little, like on the Five/Hundred/Taurus. The present styling is too aero-looking, and the roofline is too low for a mainstream Lincoln. It needs more of a square shape all over.

There are also some comments here about the "plain" looking interior. I agree that Lincoln interiors look much more stunning in the beige color than the gray shown in the picture. In the beige/wood, they are as plush-looking as anything on the market in their price class.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-14-07 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-14-07, 10:17 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Pics from the LA Auto Show

Old 11-14-07, 10:20 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

front is nice except for the lower grille, rear looks vey cheap not very upscale, interior is suprisingly good looking
Old 11-14-07, 10:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Nice pictures, Seize. I can't want to see the beige interior...see my post above.

Since you obviously got to sit in one, how did the interior materials and hardware feel? Some of it looks pretty nice; some of it the same old standard-issue ***** and switches from the Ford parts-bin.

I'll see it for myself, of course, in January at the D.C Auto Show....but they may not have one on the floor, unlocked. Having one up and spinning around on the turntable, of course, doesn't do much good for checking the interior.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-14-07 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-14-07, 10:32 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nice pictures, Seize. I can't want to see the beige interior...see my post above.

Since you obviously got to sit in one, how did the interior materials and hardware feel? Some of it looks pretty nice; some of it the same old standard-issue ***** and switches from the Ford parts-bin.
Don't mean to mislead anyone, I didn't get to sit in it, I wasn't even at the show, those are just some pics I found online. If I happen to come across with with the beige interior I'll be sure to post them up.

Once again, sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-14-07, 10:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Seize
Don't mean to mislead anyone, I didn't get to sit in it, I wasn't even at the show, those are just some pics I found online. If I happen to come across with with the beige interior I'll be sure to post them up.

Once again, sorry for the confusion.
Don't worry.
Ryan (flipside909) is probably at the show taking all kinds of notes and shots.
Old 11-14-07, 10:46 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear is ugly and from the side it looks looks extremely boring. Every manufacturer in existence is now copying Mercedes door handles and BMW doors and pillars. They all look like the same copy cat styling from the side now.
Old 11-14-07, 11:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Overall not bad, IMO. I'm anxious to see one in person. The MKS and new CTS give consumers looking for a contemporary car with an American nameplate a couple of interesting choices. They'll probably draw some import buyers too.
Old 11-14-07, 12:19 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Which is like the 1st gen Toyota Solara...

Sure, Buddy.
Old 11-14-07, 12:25 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Allen K
I like the BMW/Pontiac kidney bean looking grill. I don't like the Suzuki tails.
Some people think Suzuki tails I see some resemblance to

Old 11-14-07, 12:33 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it screams "gotham"...anyway, it's going to be in the next Batman movie. The steering wheel looks weird, and it's FWD.
Old 11-14-07, 01:43 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

The 2009 Lincoln MKS is powered by Lincoln’s new 3.7 liter V6 engine that produces 270 horsepower and 265 lb-ft of torque. Lincoln says that the MKS offers the power and torque of a V8 while delivering a fuel-economy that of a V6.

Pricing for the base 2009 Lincoln MKS starts at $37,985 while the fully loaded MKS will go for $48,120.

http://www.autospies.com/news/LA-Aut...-images-23200/
Old 11-14-07, 01:45 PM
LexFather

If the ES 350, GS, E, 5, G35, TL, CTS, IS didn't exist, I'd get this.....

Old 11-14-07, 02:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The 2009 Lincoln MKS is powered by Lincoln’s new 3.7 liter V6 engine that produces 270 horsepower and 265 lb-ft of torque.

Lincoln says that the MKS offers the power and torque of a V8 while delivering a fuel-economy that of a V6.
Well, not quite. Most American-designed V8's today run at least 300 HP and 300 ft-lbs. of torque. (Some foreign-nameplate V8s run more HP and less torque).

What this engine really is reminiscent of, more or less, is the 3.5L V6 in the Acura RL.........a setup where that engine powers the RL so well, even with the weight and drag of AWD, that, IMO, it doesn't NEED a V8.
Old 11-14-07, 03:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

gotta love "twin force" 3.7l V6 with 270hp.

Quick Reply: Lincoln debuts 2009 MKS @ L.A. Auto Show