Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 128i/135i pricing announced....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-07, 10:26 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont understand this car at all.. it's not all that small.. not much lighter than the 3 series.. with options almost as expensive too.. but way uglier. Also sounds way cheap for the brand snobs...what brand ***** wants to say they own a 1 series??? What audience is this car supposed to cater to?
Old 11-14-07, 10:46 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Seriously, these prices are loony. They are literally the same price points as an IS250/IS350. The 3 series has inflated in price SO MUCH that BMW is able to price its lower model the same price as its competitions' cars.
Honestly, the market seems to be moving in a certain direction, though. The way things are going, it seems as if eventually all of the brands are going to be offering 4 different models within their lineup. Lexus sort of started the trend with splitting up entry level with the IS/ES in addition to the GS & LS models. I think sooner or later, we are going to see MB come out with the A Class, Audi with an A1, Infiniti with a model below the G, Cadillac with a model below the CTS, etc, with all of them priced at around what the model slotted above each of those used to cost.

In time, the 1 series will become the new 3 series. Mark my words.
Old 11-14-07, 10:58 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, and I wouldn't doubt the inflation of pricing to continue, with new models slotting below. However, BMW seems to be inflating way, WAY faster than its competition, so much so that, right now, the 1er is more a competitor pricewise to the IS, C and G35 than the 3er itself is.
Old 11-15-07, 12:04 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
Honestly, the market seems to be moving in a certain direction, though. The way things are going, it seems as if eventually all of the brands are going to be offering 4 different models within their lineup. Lexus sort of started the trend with splitting up entry level with the IS/ES in addition to the GS & LS models. I think sooner or later, we are going to see MB come out with the A Class, Audi with an A1, Infiniti with a model below the G, Cadillac with a model below the CTS, etc, with all of them priced at around what the model slotted above each of those used to cost.

most of those already exist:

Cadillac: BLS

Audi: A1

MB: A-class

Infiniti: give it a year?

they're just mostly in the euro-only markets for the moment

Last edited by Faymester; 11-15-07 at 12:08 AM. Reason: add pixies
Old 11-15-07, 12:39 AM
RO87
Driver

I don't understand why everyone in here says that the 135i costs too much... you get 300-horsepower for $35,600. The 2007 WRX STi starts out at $33,495 with 293 hp, while the 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR Edition costs $35,189 with 286 hp. Wait till the 2008 WRX STi and Evo X come out....they might be a little bit more $, so I think BMW knows which market its going for.
Old 11-15-07, 05:05 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Faymester
most of those already exist:

Cadillac: BLS

Audi: A1

MB: A-class

Infiniti: give it a year?

they're just mostly in the euro-only markets for the moment
Good point Fay....
The 1 has been awhile a couple years, the A class/B class quite a few years and the A2 as well. The A1 is coming.

I doubt Lexus competes in this segment as that is what Toyota for.

Old 11-15-07, 05:11 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU

This is another incorrect summary and posts like this just confuse people. Lexus didn't start the trend with this at all. Lexus AND Infiniti both had 2 distinct cars in this segment in 2003.
IS and G35 against the 3 series
ES and I35 for those that care less about sporting pretensions.

The I35 was discontinued of course.

The IS is the size of the 3 series. The ES is actually larger than most cars in the midsize class. They both are entry level luxury cars and both originally battled the 3.

The 1 series simply slots itself below the 1 series and is now their super entry level model and there simply is no other car in America sized like it.

The 3 will always be the 3, even as it has grown in size. That is BMWs bread and butter car, the cannot risk losing 40% of their buyers. One of the reasons the Bangle styling was toned down compared to other lower volume cars.

Old 11-15-07, 05:44 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so no 5 door wagon? I think that would justify the price a little more. Room for kids, dad gets to have a fun car, mom gets a "BMW".

I test drove a 335i but the 3 seems to be more luxurious than ever...kinda miss the E46 more now. The 1 probably will take that place like someone said but I think the price is fair. There are E87 variants and some of them are dirt cheap like the 116i that starts under 30k.

The 135i is top of the line like the 550i so I think it's a bargain considering the engine it's getting (twin turbo inline 6 3.0 liter) for the car. Hell, the non twin turbo 130i costs close to 50k.

Big props to BMW for bringing the135i to production and bringing it to the States in times like now.
Old 11-15-07, 05:46 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I see nothing wrong with the price point of the new 1 series. How much do you guys expect the MSRP to be considering Accords & Camrys are over 20k plus these days? Take a walk into dealer showrooms and see for yourself. This ain't your cookie cutter Accord or Camry..This car is not marketed as a grocery machine or the ultimate luxury machine. It is being marketed as the ultimate driving machine. When it comes out, get behind the wheel, touch the controls, examine the body seams, take some corners, and ask yourself if this car worth 20-25k.
Old 11-15-07, 05:51 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I see nothing wrong with the price point of the new 1 series. How much do you guys expect the MSRP to be considering Accords & Camrys are over 20k plus these days? Take a walk into dealer showrooms and see for yourself. This ain't your cookie cutter Accord or Camry..This car is not marketed as a grocery machine or the ultimate luxury machine. It is being marketed as the ultimate driving machine. When it comes out, get behind the wheel, touch the controls, examine the body seams, take some corners, and ask yourself if this car worth 20-25k.
I drove an E87 a couple years ago in Japan but interior is not that impressive...just a basic BMW. But it does drive amazing! I wish they'd bring over the turbo diesel also. The 123id matches the torque of the 135i and probably gets better mpg.
Old 11-15-07, 06:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

this is why europeans dont like 1 Series... its cheapened 3 series at almost the same price.
Old 11-15-07, 08:19 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by For_Sale
I don't understand why everyone in here says that the 135i costs too much... you get 300-horsepower for $35,600. The 2007 WRX STi starts out at $33,495 with 293 hp, while the 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR Edition costs $35,189 with 286 hp. Wait till the 2008 WRX STi and Evo X come out....they might be a little bit more $, so I think BMW knows which market its going for.
why bother with a car that is more expensive to acquire mod and maintain, STi/EvoX looks a million times better, 1 has unknown engine durability vs Evo and STi which have been out for years, no AWD, and is 2k cheaper than a 335 sedan. The number 1 just screams econobox and the fact that it even looks like an econobox doesnt help. Audis A1 shows a "1" car doesnt have to look cheap

128 price is fine, but 135 price is ridiculous, it shouldve been 32500 - 33000 max
Old 11-15-07, 11:29 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is another incorrect summary and posts like this just confuse people. Lexus didn't start the trend with this at all. Lexus AND Infiniti both had 2 distinct cars in this segment in 2003.
IS and G35 against the 3 series
ES and I35 for those that care less about sporting pretensions.

The I35 was discontinued of course.

The IS is the size of the 3 series. The ES is actually larger than most cars in the midsize class. They both are entry level luxury cars and both originally battled the 3.
I think I made myself very clear in my post. The trend, of course being 4 distinct models within their lineup. I said nothing about size or class or referred to anything else besides the fact that Lexus had offered four different models here in the US before the others.

My point is that eventually, in time, the IS will not be competing against the 3 series anymore, but in fact will be competing more so against the 1 series, A Class, BLS, etc. Basically, what I'm suggesting is that after the 1 series is launched here, that the 3 series will be forced to grow a bit in size and the 1 series will replace it as BMW's entry level sedan/coupe.

The ES & G sedan are already pretty similar in size. The G & IS are different sizes and compete more in price than they do in size. There is already room for Infiniti & Cadillac to put out more compact sedans to compete with the likes of the IS, 1 Series, etc. because the G sedan & CTS are already larger than the other models from the current competition.

The playing field is changing. A 4-car lineup is the new trend and I think within 5-7 years, we're going to see all of the brands offering a vehicle in 4 different segments (full size, executive, midsize/sport, compact/sport).

Like I said, mark my words.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The 1 series simply slots itself below the 1 series and is now their super entry level model and there simply is no other car in America sized like it.
Old 11-15-07, 11:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

4 car lineup only works for a brand like BMW/Benz who dont have a base brand like Lexus has with Toyota. If Lexus was thinking of making something below the ES/IS you might as well make it a toyota rather than cheapen the lexus brand
Old 11-15-07, 12:22 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope someone gets a 1-series, is not going to debadge the 35i or 28i , and put a M/// in front of the 1...

BMW is clearly not going to do so, so no M model for 1-series lineup,
BMW trying to market 135I as a high performance 1-series and make it bit more expensive to make sure they won't flood the street.
Think about it this way, you get a M -series for under 40K new.

Last edited by blacksc400; 11-15-07 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: BMW 128i/135i pricing announced....