Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 128i/135i pricing announced....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-07 | 12:38 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
4 car lineup only works for a brand like BMW/Benz who dont have a base brand like Lexus has with Toyota. If Lexus was thinking of making something below the ES/IS you might as well make it a toyota rather than cheapen the lexus brand
Yea, but Lexus already has a 4-car lineup. The IS & ES are completely different cars catering to completely different customers. Price may be similar, but the ES is larger obviously.

I'm not suggesting Lexus put out another car below the IS (ugh, that would be overkill). I'm suggesting that the 3 series, C Class, A4, etc will eventually move up slightly in size, and that the 1 series, A Class, A1, etc will eventually be competing head to head with the IS. I mean, look at the pricing on the 1 series already. Within a few years, it will be pretty evenly matched with the IS in price and probably in features as well.

Lexus is already there. They have more or less successfully been able to sell 4 different cars within their line. BMW obviously wants to do the same thing and I think the others will want to as well.

The 1 series is not an econobox. Starting at almost 30k, it's not supposed to compete with more affordable models that Toyota/Nissan/Honda offer. It's an entry level luxury car, people.
Old 11-15-07 | 12:42 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

the price may not be for an econobox but that wont change the fact it looks like an econobox. The new hyundai coupe thats 25k is coming out looks far more expensive than a 1, same with that Audi A1
Old 11-15-07 | 12:47 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by For_Sale
I don't understand why everyone in here says that the 135i costs too much... you get 300-horsepower for $35,600. The 2007 WRX STi starts out at $33,495 with 293 hp, while the 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR Edition costs $35,189 with 286 hp. Wait till the 2008 WRX STi and Evo X come out....they might be a little bit more $, so I think BMW knows which market its going for.
If you are going to compare the 135i against the faster Evo w/ its underrated engine, rally inspired awd system, recaro seats, momo-steering wheels, stock brembo brakes, and proven durability, at least quote the pricing right:

2006 Lancer Evolution RS AWD 4-Dr Sedan L4 $29,149

2006 Lancer Evolution IX AWD 4-Dr Sedan L4 $31,399

2006 Lancer Evolution MR Edition AWD 4-Dr Sedan L4 $36,299
Old 11-15-07 | 12:59 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

bmw is a little nuts. has everyone forgotten about the 350z? yah for under 30k you can get 300hp, rwd, and the same cheap plastic interior you find in the 1 series. my money is holding out for the 370z. it will make the N54 irrelevent (if the current 350z hasnt already ). N54 has no track duty reliability. i would not risk getting it since i do want my next car to be designed a bit more for track time. gtr for 70k. hmmmm...
Old 11-15-07 | 01:14 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

LOl..Who needs comedy central The build quality, material of parts, driving dynamics is what will seperate the 135 from the rest of the kitty litter.. The Evo, STI (wonderful machines for the Fast and Furious 20 something crowd) are based on econoboxes . Not the 1 series.
Old 11-15-07 | 01:26 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

That pricing is pretty ridiculous. Combine that with the odd styling, really cheap interior (compared to the 3 Series) and this thing is not a great value at all. On the other hand, BMW could not have priced it too cheaply otherwise it would have diluted it's image. But now pricing is too similar to the competition and 3 Series may cannibalize the 1 Series. BMW is in a tough spot. We will see soon enough how well it sells.

As for those saying it's a good value, get a grip. 350Z MSRP is 28K. G35 MSRP is 31.6K. And here is the kicker: G37 MSRP with 330HP is 34.25K, still cheaper than 135i MSRP.

Honestly, what would you rather have for 35K? A G37 or a 135i? I'll take the G37. Heck I'll pay a bit more and get a 335i Coupe.

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
LOl..Who needs comedy central The build quality, material of parts, driving dynamics is what will seperate the 135 from the rest of the kitty litter.. The Evo, STI (wonderful machines for the Fast and Furious 20 something crowd) are based on econoboxes . Not the 1 series.
Your argument doesn't work for the 350Z or for the G35, both of which are cheaper than the 135i.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 11-15-07 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-15-07 | 01:32 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

i dunno whats worse an econobox thats made into a high performing vehicle or a high performing vehicle made to look like an econobox
Old 11-15-07 | 01:42 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
sorry to shock you dashocker, but the 1 series is an econobox. its based on one, looks like one, and is treated as such in every market is has been sold in so far. it competes with mercedes A class and audi A1 and A3 (which is also based on another econobox, the golf).
Old 11-15-07 | 01:54 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

I believe the mod potential of the 135i is what will make it sell. The gearheads like me and many others here who can't seem to leave stock cars alone would enjoy the 135i. Mod for Mod a factory twin turbo motor will get more bang for the buck than a NA motor. I'm not sure about the specs and how much lighter this car is than the 335i but I think in time when the aftermarket grows the potential of this motor will get bigger kinda like the 2jzgte did and once people really start modding beyond bpu upgrades it will easily be in the 5XXhp range and beyond.
Old 11-15-07 | 01:59 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

This 135 econobox has a better brake set up than the 335. The car is not an econobox and thats the bottom line.. because Stone Cold said so
Old 11-15-07 | 02:01 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

isnt it like 200-300 lbs lighter. While the modability maybe nice they have to compete with the modability of an STi/EvoX which is in the same power and price segment. If the STi/Evo didnt exist then that wouldnt be a problem but they do, STI/Evo will be cheaper to mod, maintain and buy than a BMW for sure
Old 11-15-07 | 02:15 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Maybe if they priced it too low then the MINI wont sell?
Old 11-15-07 | 02:28 PM
ST430
Pole Position

lol, so the only discredit bimmer owners can throw at a faster, better handling, better driving, better sports equipped vehicle such as the Evo, is that it's based on an econobox?

So what does that make BMW, the "Ultimate hype machine"?
Old 11-15-07 | 02:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

All this moaning about the pricing - maybe some are forgetting the big changes in the Euro/dollar exchange rate... maybe BMW has no choice but to price it where it is. I can see more price 'jumps' for other new models from non-US based companies (either that or further cost reductions ).
Old 11-15-07 | 03:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
Yea, but Lexus already has a 4-car lineup. The IS & ES are completely different cars catering to completely different customers. Price may be similar, but the ES is larger obviously.

I'm not suggesting Lexus put out another car below the IS (ugh, that would be overkill). I'm suggesting that the 3 series, C Class, A4, etc will eventually move up slightly in size, and that the 1 series, A Class, A1, etc will eventually be competing head to head with the IS. I mean, look at the pricing on the 1 series already. Within a few years, it will be pretty evenly matched with the IS in price and probably in features as well.

Lexus is already there. They have more or less successfully been able to sell 4 different cars within their line. BMW obviously wants to do the same thing and I think the others will want to as well.

The 1 series is not an econobox. Starting at almost 30k, it's not supposed to compete with more affordable models that Toyota/Nissan/Honda offer. It's an entry level luxury car, people.
The 1 series is an econobox, priced like the usual BMW "way to much". Read ANY review in EVO, CAR etc, in comparos, it goes against the A3, the Golf, and other Euro hatches from SEAT and Skoda for instance. It has even been in comparisons with the Civic Type-R. So please, if you don't know what you are talking about, don't confuse people.

You are just putting ridiculous rhetoric trying to somehow downplay Lexus. The IS line was specially CREATED to compete with the Germans, the 3,C/A4. The first generation had an I-6, RWD and nearly the same dimensions. It was the FIRST serious attempt from Japan to take on the 3 and smaller Germans.

The IS again, EXPANDED to copy the 3 even more, now with now just the 250 and 350, but now the IS-F to compete with the M3. The IS and 3 BOTH DEBUTED at GENEVA the same time.

The IS is 3 competition, PERIOD and will not go down to the 1 series.

If Lexus does decide to go downmarket, it will be like BMW, a IS based, smaller sedan/hatchbach with another name, which will make me puke.

Quick Reply: BMW 128i/135i pricing announced....