Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 128i/135i pricing announced....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-07, 03:08 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
I believe the mod potential of the 135i is what will make it sell. The gearheads like me and many others here who can't seem to leave stock cars alone would enjoy the 135i. Mod for Mod a factory twin turbo motor will get more bang for the buck than a NA motor. I'm not sure about the specs and how much lighter this car is than the 335i but I think in time when the aftermarket grows the potential of this motor will get bigger kinda like the 2jzgte did and once people really start modding beyond bpu upgrades it will easily be in the 5XXhp range and beyond.
But if I want serious speed for cheap, I would go with Evo/STi, they are still highly moddable, and more reliable... cheaper to fix up, I can go on and on and on...
Old 11-15-07, 03:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by blacksc400
But if I want serious speed for cheap, I would go with Evo/STi, they are still highly moddable, and more reliable... cheaper to fix up, I can go on and on and on...
Not only that but the interiors will be on par if not better, there is more space inside for your friends and your belongings.

Remember, I'm the guy that started the thread the 1-series was going to be a super home run.

With this pricing, which is RIDICULOUS for what you get, I have to take that back. I can only think BMW will subside leasing as usual to make this an attractive buy.

Seriously, this is 3 money and unless you REALLY want a compact car, why get this over the 3?

Old 11-15-07, 03:33 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who cares what the MSRP is. Most Bimmers will be leased and most 1 series sold will be the 128i.

A $30,000 Bimmer = Cheap-*** lease
Old 11-15-07, 03:37 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The 1 series is an econobox, priced like the usual BMW "way to much". Read ANY review in EVO, CAR etc, in comparos, it goes against the A3, the Golf, and other Euro hatches from SEAT and Skoda for instance. It has even been in comparisons with the Civic Type-R. So please, if you don't know what you are talking about, don't confuse people.
Again, read what I wrote, not what you THINK I wrote. Things change in the automotive world, in case you hadn't noticed. Prices rise, cars get bigger, offer more features, new models are born, etc etc etc. You're talking about the past and I'm talking about the future.

You are just putting ridiculous rhetoric trying to somehow downplay Lexus.
Wow. Really? Is that what I'm trying to do?

The IS line was specially CREATED to compete with the Germans, the 3,C/A4. The first generation had an I-6, RWD and nearly the same dimensions. It was the FIRST serious attempt from Japan to take on the 3 and smaller Germans.

The IS again, EXPANDED to copy the 3 even more, now with now just the 250 and 350, but now the IS-F to compete with the M3. The IS and 3 BOTH DEBUTED at GENEVA the same time.

The IS is 3 competition, PERIOD and will not go down to the 1 series.
Calm down, relax, and take a deep breath before your brain explodes. No one is suggesting that the IS is going DOWN to the 1 series. I am suggesting the 1 series will go UP to the IS and the 3 Series will go UP from the IS slightly to compete more with the size of the ES, G, & CTS cars.

The 1 series will offer more powerful engines upon launch than the IS currently does in either its IS250 or IS350 form. The price isn't far off and neither is the size. So, why is it so hard to believe that BMW is positioning the 1 series as their new entry level compact car?
Old 11-15-07, 06:00 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I'm just a sucker for a turbo inline 6 only thing wrong with this motor is that it's still a new setup so there isn't much available like for the evo/sti that have been modded for years in Japan before they came over. Just imagine if this motor came out when the 2jzgte did in late 1992 here in the US what the potential would have been. But not trying to start anything with anyone here, I was in enough trouble as it is here with a certain forum.
Old 11-15-07, 09:12 PM
LexFather

UK's AutoExpress tested the BMW 135i, Audi TT 3.2, and the VW GTI.

But the 135i came in last.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/c....html

135i review...
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/c....html

"If speed is your sole desire, then make a beeline for the BMW. Thanks to its twin-turbocharged 3.0-litre powerplant, the 135i is fast enough to wear an M badge – no doubt about it, the engine is a masterpiece. The trouble is, the rest of the car doesn’t manage to hit the same heights."

Old 11-15-07, 09:22 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

I guess since BWM doesn't have a Toyota or Nissan like Lexus & Infiniti do, they needed to create a cheap BMW with a beefed up engine (135i, same engine as 335i).

Starting at $35,000 for the 135i is a little too much for what it is; it does look somewhat cheap & flimsy. Whereas the 335i just screams all class & elegancy with peformance.

This 135i really is all about its engine and badge.

Old 11-15-07, 09:41 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Good lawd!!

Pricing for the 135i starts at $35,675 -- very close to what's been rumored since its unveiling in Frankfurt. While that's certainly on the high side of things, it's not until you start optioning up the coupe that things get out of hand. REALLY out of hand. Tick the box for an automatic, and you're up another $1,275. Want the paddle shifters? Tack on another $100. The premium package boosts it up another $3,300; navigation with iDrive, $2,100. And on, and on, and on. The only thing missing is the price of the rarified air in the cabin, but BMW was nice enough to provide the windshield for free.

Bottom line: if you MAX-OUT the 135i, you're looking at over $52,000. Considering that a base 3-series comes in at around $32k (stripped), you'd better be very confident with your decision to be the first on your block to sport BMW's new hotness.
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/15/b...t-35/#comments
Old 11-15-07, 09:49 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Wow...

~ $52,000 for a fully loaded 135i. What was BMW thinking? I did the math to confirm, and it seems correct.

Old 11-15-07, 10:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

I remember the first time I saw a first gen GS300 (early 90's?) and its sticker was $46K and I was shocked.
Old 11-16-07, 12:45 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm a bit much, but then again, if it perfroms better and is 5K cheaper wats the problem?
Old 11-16-07, 06:05 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
hmm a bit much, but then again, if it perfroms better and is 5K cheaper wats the problem?
the problem is there are two other cars that exist in this segment, the STi and EvoX which are less expensive to mod, acquire, maintain, and have proven durability on the engine, and dont look like ***

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 11-16-07 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-16-07, 12:46 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

52K fully loaded?

I don't care if people are leasing this car or not, that is WAY too expensive!

Even with BMW's great leases it still wouldn't be worth it.

With the 1 Series, you REALLY are paying for nothing more than the badge and engine.

Even if you get a 128i, chances are fully loaded that will be north of 40K.
Old 11-16-07, 12:55 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The 135i will not be 52k fully loaded in the USA.
Old 11-16-07, 01:17 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

how about a fully loaded camry for $36K which is well into Lexus pricing territory? Nobody is stupid enough to buy a base car and then load it with every options available.

regardless of the price, it's still going to do some serious a$$ kicking.

Quick Reply: BMW 128i/135i pricing announced....