Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Racing School recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-07, 05:38 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Racing School recommendations...

My best friend wants to go to Racing School for Christmas (because nothing says Happy Birthday Jesus like going 165 mph on a racetrackk).

Any recommendations?

I'm looking for a school that teaches how to race with a provided mass-manufactured vehicle (like a Mazda or BMW, not a drag car or go-kart), in-class and on-track instruction, "stunt driving techniques" (like donuts, J-Turns, and the such), drifting, braking techniques, "evasive maneuvers," and all that.

And I don't want to pay crazy prices. Skip Barber racing school charges anywhere between $700 to $4000 for classes!!!

Feel free to comment.
Old 11-15-07, 05:59 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

My buddy has been after me for years to attend the Porsche Drive Experience now named Porsche Sport Driving School, PSDS. This is the one I'm considering attending at some point.

http://www.porschedriving.com/home.htm
Old 11-15-07, 08:26 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you meant (HPDE) High Performance Driving Experience/School because to attend 'race school', you are supposed to master most of those techniques you'd mentioned.

try HPDE with NASA. They are all over the country and the least expensive. Membership is $40/yr. a one day class is $159, 2-day class is $279.

The student participants are separated according to their experience level into four basic groups: One, Two, Three, and Four. There are no speed limits in any of the groups, and the novice drivers are assigned instructors for safety reasons. personal attention is paid to every student.

Run Group Explanation:

Group one (1)
This is where you begin. This is one on one guidance from experienced racers, as you learn to control your car and yourself. Your mentor will provide you with guidance as you learn to drive at the limit. You will address how to approach a turn, the fast way around it, what gear should you be in, how to brake, and how to exit. The session generally includes a lead-follow session. Passing is very limited in the Group 1 Sessions.

Group two (2)
Your instructor has determined you can drive on your own and with less supervision. You apply what you learned in the Group 1 sessions to get more practice. Group 2 is often mixed with Group 1 and is for those drivers that want some more Group 1 seat-time, but do not need an instructor.

Group three (3)
You have progressed to the world of high performance driving. The passing rules in group 3 are not as strict. You must learn to share the track at high speeds with others.

Group four (4)
Congratulations! You have made it, no passing restriction except those of good judgment and rules of the road etiquette. You and your peers are now experiencing the joys of doing it right in a safe environment! You can now enjoy high performance driving at its finest. Those that wish to can petition to apply for a competition license.

more info here. http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html

Last edited by newr; 11-16-07 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-15-07, 09:19 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

dont forget that you need to have a SNELL helmet too

(i think )
Old 11-15-07, 09:28 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

how do you peel out? iv always wanted to ask.
Old 11-15-07, 10:33 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Requirements:

* Membership in NASA or a NASA sanctioned club
* Any car in safe operating condition (from Ferrari to Hyundai)
* Mufflers. Different tracks have different sound policies
* Roll bars in convertible autos
* Seat belts in good working order
* State driver's license
* Long sleeve shirt and pants (cotton is great)
* A helmet
* Knowledge of the Club Codes and Regulations
* At least 18 years of age (16 w/parental consent)
That sounds awfully easy... but I don't have a states license and I'd doubt I could find a race track near Winnipeg (I could only think of Mission in B.C. and there should be one in Toronto? Both of which requires at least 24hrs+ of driving) with a HPDE type of thing anywhere.