Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

One License Plate and Living in Tx

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-07, 08:16 PM
iameric
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One License Plate and Living in Tx

In Texas the law is you need to have two license plates on your car (both a front and a rear), my IS 250 is a company vehicle based out of Kentucky so there are Kentucky plates on the vehicle. If I'm in Texas and have Kentucky plates do I need one plate or both? I hope somebody can properly answer this question, and I'm aware if I live in Texas for more then 90 days with the vehicle I'm suppose to get it registered in Texas; however, again it is a company vehicle so I wouldn't need to get it registered in Texas, right? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 11-15-07, 08:26 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

I don't see this as something you should be concerned about since it's a company vehicle and the company owns it and has registered it in the state of Kentucky.
Old 11-15-07, 08:47 PM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iameric
If I'm in Texas and have Kentucky plates do I need one plate or both?
The Law is both for ANY car in Texas. I drive every day without a front plate (and havent had one for years with out any trouble). This depends on what city you're in. I think a fellow member in Plano got a ticket for not having one. Some cities are prety bad....Dalworthington Gardens, Pantego....
What city are you in?....

Keep in mind....this is a discretionary law. Most cops wont even bother you.....but if they need an excuse to see what you're up to, Now they have it.

and I'm aware if I live in Texas for more then 90 days with the vehicle I'm suppose to get it registered in Texas; however, again it is a company vehicle so I wouldn't need to get it registered in Texas, right? Thanks in advance for the help.
Im not sure about that one......I'd call the DPS for an accurate answer.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/

**EDIT** I see you're in Plano.
If you're not out too late or tearing up the street....I doubt they will mess with you.
If you get a ticket, put the plate back on and they should drop it.

Last edited by King7Two; 11-15-07 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-15-07, 09:58 PM
iameric
Driver

Originally Posted by King7Two
The Law is both for ANY car in Texas. I drive every day without a front plate (and havent had one for years with out any trouble). This depends on what city you're in. I think a fellow member in Plano got a ticket for not having one. Some cities are prety bad....Dalworthington Gardens, Pantego....

Keep in mind....this is a discretionary law. Most cops wont even bother you.....but if they need an excuse to see what you're up to, Now they have it.

Im not sure about that one......I'd call the DPS for an accurate answer.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/

**EDIT** I see you're in Plano.
If you're not out too late or tearing up the street....I doubt they will mess with you.
If you get a ticket, put the plate back on and they should drop it.
Well in Plano I had a 2003 Honda Accord for about two years, without a front license plate, and I never got pulled over for not having a front license plate, I was pulled over for speeding and police wouldn't even mention not having a front license plate to me; however, I now live in Lubbock, Tx due to college and I often travel to and from Plano when I have long breaks. Once in my Honda Accord, I got really screwed by some cops (in some bumble town), luckily everything was worked out (due to the judicial system). I don't want the same thing to happen again tho, and I don't want to be pulled over in some cop-trap, within my 360 mile trip between 40 towns. So I want to make sure I'm obeying the law to the book. Thanks for the help Any links to any laws directly concerning outside states license plate laws would be great.

Last edited by iameric; 11-15-07 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-15-07, 10:34 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

. Some cities are prety bad....Dalworthington Gardens, Pantego....

Amen! DWG and Pantego is just a two mile stretch but I swear I have have more tickets there than any other surrounding city. I got pulled over once for a dimmed tail light that the naked eye couldn't even notice.
Old 11-16-07, 07:37 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I am from Florida and we are given just one plate for the rear and never had a problem going through Texas.

I am given a lot of issues in Mexico by police who insist that I must have two plates (even though my state gives one), so I went to a judge and got an order so the pestering would stop. But that's Mexico.
Old 11-16-07, 08:54 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In Texas the law is you need to have two license plates on your car (both a front and a rear), my IS 250 is a company vehicle based out of Kentucky so there are Kentucky plates on the vehicle. If I'm in Texas and have Kentucky plates do I need one plate or both? I hope somebody can properly answer this question, and I'm aware if I live in Texas for more then 90 days with the vehicle I'm suppose to get it registered in Texas; however, again it is a company vehicle so I wouldn't need to get it registered in Texas, right? Thanks in advance for the help.
How on earth can you put 2 KY plates on if KY only issues one plate? TX has to respect the laws of the other states. Otherwise, think of the revenue they could generate sitting at the border, and pulling over every out of state car with a single plate.

As far as registering in TX, you'd have to check the TX vehicle code, or ask your employer. Are you there long term? Does KY require annual inspections? If so, wouldn't you have to drive back to KY to get them done?
Old 11-16-07, 09:11 AM
iameric
Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
How on earth can you put 2 KY plates on if KY only issues one plate? TX has to respect the laws of the other states. Otherwise, think of the revenue they could generate sitting at the border, and pulling over every out of state car with a single plate.

As far as registering in TX, you'd have to check the TX vehicle code, or ask your employer. Are you there long term? Does KY require annual inspections? If so, wouldn't you have to drive back to KY to get them done?
Yes I'm under contract to work at least three years. I'm not sure about the Kentucky inspections there's no inspection or registration stickers on my windshield at all, I'm going to say no, but I'll call in today and find out what the deal is.
And I normally wouldn't be worried but I've already gone to and from Lubbock to Plano a few times and I see usually about five cops on the 360 mile trip, and don't want one of them to be in a bad mood and try and play games with me.
So I should be in the clear since my car is registered in another state?

off the DPS website so far I've found out it's illegal to have license plate frames

Last edited by iameric; 11-16-07 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-16-07, 08:31 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

The Law is both for ANY car in Texas.
Yeah, this can't be right. What would you do if like LexMex said you come from a state that only has one tag like Florida? I guess if anything they could try and get you on not transferring the tag and title if you were a permanent TX resident, but you're only there for work. I think you should be fine.