Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

World's fastest 335i so far?! -- 12.399 @ 116.8 mph

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-07 | 09:42 PM
LexFather

Guys, there is always going to be competition and people pointing things out. Once its in good spirits, don't fret much.

This is IMO, an impressive time, considering its really a sleeper if you take off the badges. Wow.
Old 11-16-07 | 11:40 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by picus
Interestingly, I kind of don't think many people cross shop the evo and 335i.
Why wouldn't they be cross shopped? Because the 335 has the 'prestigious' BMW badge? (I'm not sure how much prestige there is in driving a 3-series, I see more 3-series on a daily basis than Evos and regular Lancers combined) If a potential 335i buyer is aware of what an Evo can do, and he feels that it might give him a better driving experience for less money, he would be stupid not to cross shop them. It's not like the cars are worlds apart in performance
Old 11-17-07 | 10:42 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thetopdog
Why wouldn't they be cross shopped? Because the 335 has the 'prestigious' BMW badge? (I'm not sure how much prestige there is in driving a 3-series, I see more 3-series on a daily basis than Evos and regular Lancers combined) If a potential 335i buyer is aware of what an Evo can do, and he feels that it might give him a better driving experience for less money, he would be stupid not to cross shop them. It's not like the cars are worlds apart in performance
Let me guess, you are serious? Get back to us when you are looking for a daily driver and can afford either car.
Old 11-17-07 | 10:48 AM
GSteg
Rookie

thetopdog has a c6 corvette. I think he can afford a 335i or an evo

But really, there aren't too many who cross-shop both the EVO and 335i at the same time. Like I said previously, its usually the EVO owners who migrate over to the 335i because they want a car that's less of a boy-racer image, while retaining the ability to make a good amount of power. Then again, I'm partial to the 335i because you would never catch me dead in an EVO.
Old 11-17-07 | 12:37 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

it depends on the place you live in...

where i live people don't ever cross-shop an EVO with a 3-series...it probably comes with living in a high-upper-middle class neighborhood where people are more married couples with kids than young up-and-comers with fresh degrees and fresh jobs. but in all seriousness though, even teens just 3 series cars instead of evos and whatnot. There's not much boy-racerishness going on around here...just upscale "entry-level" sport sedans and such.

we did have a S2K streak a few years back though...
Old 11-17-07 | 01:28 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
thetopdog has a c6 corvette. I think he can afford a 335i or an evo

But really, there aren't too many who cross-shop both the EVO and 335i at the same time. Like I said previously, its usually the EVO owners who migrate over to the 335i because they want a car that's less of a boy-racer image, while retaining the ability to make a good amount of power. Then again, I'm partial to the 335i because you would never catch me dead in an EVO.
Maybe - but I did clarify daily driver. The EVO is going to beat the crap out of you on a daily basis. Maybe he is a masochist?
Old 11-17-07 | 01:32 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by thetopdog
It has nothing to do with the badge; it has to do with the style of car you're buying. A 335i is way more a quick cruiser than a track car, even with coilovers, sways, and an LSD added. The EVO is going to punish you, which is part of the appeal; but not for most of the people shopping for 335is.

It's like how when the 335i came out everyone said "damn it's as fast as the e46 M3", but in the end all it takes most people is one quick drive in both to determine which they prefer; they are very different cars despite going in a straight line similarly fast.
Old 11-17-07 | 01:48 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

LMAO @ you guys taking the bait and going completely off topic over someone talking about a car that has nothing to do with the topic itself.

You'd think we'd be talking about a 335i in this thread, but everyone seems to want to feed the.............
Old 11-17-07 | 02:49 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by doug_999
Let me guess, you are serious? Get back to us when you are looking for a daily driver and can afford either car.
Don't be ridiculous, I could afford either car since my car costs more than either of them, but I wouldn't want to own a 335 or an Evo. I prefer a car that doesn't need 98 octane or any mods to do mid 12s in the quarter, but I don't need to flaunt a car or a specific brand to make myself feel better

The whole point I was trying to make is that the cars are close enough in performance that it's not crazy to cross shop them. I agree that one is less civilized and more raw, the other is more of a luxury car, but it's not like they're worlds apart in what they do. I wouldn't say that the Evo is better in every way than the 335, and I wouldn't say that the 335 is better in every way than an Evo. It's not like comparing a 3-series to a Civic where one car is so clearly superior in every way that it's not even worth comparing the two
Old 11-18-07 | 02:57 PM
dchen2
Driver

The most significant factor for why this time is so "slow" relative to the high whp ratings is that the car is a two wheel drive 335i without a LSD. The 400wrp motor is likely putting out 450-500ft-lbs of tq as well and at that level traction is going to be a major issue.

Obviously a 400lb lighter stage 2 Evo with the benefits of all-wheel drive is going to be a beast accelerating off the line. Any bets on how that similar evo will maintain the time advantage against the 335i from say a 45mph roll?

IMHO the Evo on a performance basisi should be compared with a 335xi. According to official BMW stats a stock 335xi with ~275whp is .2 seconds faster 0-60 than a 335i. If that 400whp bimmer had 4wd the time would be quite a bit less.

I also second the obvious fact the evo and 335i is in two different classes. Both cars are great at what they do, the evo is a awesome value leader for the all out performance sports sedans (with absolutely no luxury) with a msrp of 33-37k.

The 335i in contrast is a much less raw GT luxury cruiser. It has much less turbo lag than the evo, is much more luxurious, and projects a much more mature image. But it is 41-48k and rather portly (to say the least).

After test driving the loaded sports package 335xi coupe at my local dealership, it seemed the 335 was much more luxurious than my GS430, with a seemingly better, smoother ride (the fact my GS has a 100k of body wear and tear might have had something to do with that), much more effortless power and better sound proofing. I am plotting on replacing my GS430 next year with a 335xi coupe for sure!

The new M3 will fill the role of the raw, much sportier compact coupe/sedan for BMW, with a more high strung motor similar (somewhat) to the evo's personality. I am just personally striken with the awesome mix of luxury and some sport in the 335i and stock having 100% of the 350ft-lbs of torque available at just 2,000rpms is fricking sweet!

And once I get used to that, with just a proceede V2 and a turboback exhaust, supposedly that torque figure will get bumped to 450ft-lbs!

Last edited by dchen2; 11-19-07 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-18-07 | 04:31 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

For a car that has been out on the road for about a year now I think its pretty damn impressive.... I dont care what anyone has to say...