Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2007 Kia Amanti

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-07, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2007 Kia Amanti

A review of the 2007 Kia Amanti

http://www.kia.com/amanti/index.php

In a Nutshell: An often-overlooked bargain that gives you a lot for the money, but not a car for BMW-Philes or sport/handling enthusiasts.

I did not receive any specific requests recently to review this car, either from CL or elsewhere, but decided to review it anyway for several reasons, the chief one being that it is one of the most-overlooked new vehicles in the American market. Comparably little is written in the automotive press about it, although Warren Brown, the Washington Post's auto writer (who I casually know) recently had one for a week and wrote it up in the paper. He commented at length on its smooth ride and lack of handling prowess (I'll get more into that myself below). Consumer Reports tested one in 2004 but has not formally tested one since, and has reliability data for only two years (2004 being worse-than-average and 2005 being average). I myself test-drove one several years ago, but have not looked at or formally reviewed the current-generation model, so, as I had already finished all the auto reviews I had formal requests for (up to now), I figured it was time to stop by the local Isuzu/Kia shop and check it out. It was worth the trip just for the sales rep alone....he was a superbly friendly guy, a car enthusiast like me, LOVED to talk cars, cut through the usual dealer bull-******, and was a pleasure to meet and talk to. I would have stayed there all day just talking new cars and the market with him if I didn't have other things to do. This guy deserves to get customers, and even though I myself probably won't buy a new Kia anytime soon, I'll send him people who will.

However, I didn't go there to review salespeople, but a new vehicle, so, let's get on with the Amanti.

Kia introduced the mid-to-large-size Amanti sedan several years ago for several reasons......First, as an effort to improve its then-down-in-the dumps image with customers and the auto press, Second, to have an upscale sedan more competitive with those from America, Japan, and Europe, and, Third, as a corporate brother to the Hyundai XG300/350 and later Azera. The new Amanti (though it was never really popular) quickly developed a reputation as a bargain-priced, well-finished, well-refined, and fairly well-built sedan that had a magic-carpet ride but handled like a 1950 Buick....indeed, the one I first test-drove was pillow-smooth over bumps, but rolled and tracked like a battleship with steering input and cornered almost on its door handles. I liked the ride, of course (I always like a smooth ride), but, to be honest, I felt that, by modern standards, the handling was sluggish enough to be borderline dangerous. Consumer Reports agreed...they liked its ride also, but commented that it was the worst-handling modern non-SUV passenger car they had tested. Only the optional stability control (when turned on, of course) kept the Roly-Poly handling and excessive understeer from landing you in the ditch on sharp, aggressive corners. The only other car I've personally driven in recent years that handled this poorly was the Buick
Roadmaster.

But that was the old Amanti. Since then, the car has been mildly restyled, extensively reworked, given a larger engine (3.8L, up from 3.5L), and given a
much better suspension in ride/handling compromise. I won't get into that in detail here.....that is for the review below. But it remains a bargain in the marketplace, with its relatively low price, long warranty, generally good build quality, sales incentives, extensive standard and optional safety features, driving comfort, good fit-and-finish, roomy trunk, and slick-operating controls.

For both 2007 and 2008, only one model/trim level of the Amanti is offered in the American market, with a the aforementioned 3.8L V6 and 5-speed automatic....the same engine, of course, used in the Hyundai Azera, the Amanti's corporate brother. I drove a 2007 model primarily because the 2008 models had not yet arrived at the dealership I was at, and they were tring to get rid of the remaining 2007's in stock to make room for them. This, of course, reflects the car's continuing low demand, incentives and willingness of Kia dealerships to deal on them. Incentives may or may not be available on the 2008's...we'll wait and see.....but the word from Kia is that factory pricing on the 2008's will be virtually identical to the 2007's, with no significant price increase. (the sales rep checked 2007/2008 prices on his computer and also found them virtually identical). Marketing changes between the 2007 and 2008 models will likewise be minimal.........one exterior color will be dropped, the power-pedal option moved from the less-expensive Leather Package to the more-expensivePremium package, and a couple of other small details, but for the most part the 2007 and 2008 will be identical, so I saw little sense in coming back for a 2008. I just picked out a 2007, reviewed it, and did my usual write up.

So then, let's get on with it.

Model Reviewed: 2007 Kia Amanti

Base price: $25,415

Major Options:

Leather package $2500

Sunroof $900

Stability Control/Brake Assist/Traction Control Package $500

17" wheel package $500

Cargo Mat $90

Wheel locks $29

Destination: $680

List Price as Reviewed: $30,614

Exterior Color: Pewter Beige

Interior: Beige Leather

Drivetrain: FWD, Transverse-mounted 3.8L DOHC V6, 264 HP @ 6000 RPM, Torque 260 ft-lbs. @ 4500 RPM,
5-Speed automatic with Sport-Shift.

PLUSSES:

Good price for the features offered.

Low demand means further discounts at deal time.

Base and option prices for 2008 will remain unchanged.

Handsome exterior styling (which is subjective, of course)

Much-improved suspension and handling over previous models.

Well-done steering wheel and leather stitching.

Nice paint job.

Nice, power-adjustable pedals.

Good Infiniti stereo.

Roomy, well-finished trunk.

High-quality exterior trim and sheet metal.

Good legroom, front and rear.

Slick, easy-to use, high-quality controls, buttons, and *****.

Nicely done chrome trim.

Peppy V6 much more responsive then previous Hyundai/Kia V6's

Smooth, quiet ride....more so than its brother Hyundai Azera.

Slick-operating seat-belt rollers.

Slick, pleasant-to-use transmission shifter.

Numerous interior storage compartments.

Long Hyundai/Kia warranty.

MINUSES:

Still has significant understeer.

Spongy brakes.

Only 6 colors offered for 2008 (one has been dropped...Cobalt Blue).

Compact, dummy spare tire.

Slippery-as-ice leather seats.

Acceleration squat and nose dive with hard braking.

Dull-as-a-dentist's-office paint colors.

Marginal headroom for tall people despite the tall roof.

Manual tilt but non-telescoping steering wheel

Pearl White paint costs extra ($200).

Poorly and misleadingly designed underhood compartment.

Power-adjustable pedal option shifted from Leather to Premium Package for 2008.

Step-on, left-foot parking brake not as convienent to use as a hand lever.

Body structure not Mercedes or Volvo-stout.

Silly underhood design.

Poorly-finished wiper arms.

The first impression of this car, as you first walk up to it, it that is that style-wise, it is like nothing else in the Hyundai-Kia family. It is certainly not a mee-too car, although, in some ways, depending on how you look at it (pun intended) you can actually call it a collection of mee-too's. The rather interesting styling (IMO) is more or less a combination of Mercedes, Lincoln, and Jaguar all rolled into one unique shape. The nicely-done grille and quad-oval headlights are unmistakably from the 90's vintage Mercedes E-Class (and some Jaguars). The rear roofline, trunk lid, and tailights are unmistakably Lincoln Town car and Jaguar. Call it copycat, if you want, but, to my eye, it is handsome and classy. It is also a good-size car by today's standards, and that translates into generally good legroom inside and a roomy trunk (more on that later).

The exterior is also a long way, quality-wise, from, say, Dodge-Chrysler levels of cheapness and tinniness. The paint job is first-rate, with smooth application, good gloss, a noted lack of orange peel, and a nice slick feel. But.....once again, like so many other cars, we have to put up with nothing but funeral and dentist-office colors, which is about as exciting as (another pun intended) watching paint dry. And IMO, a $30,000 Kia flagship should come in more than 6 paint colors (down from 7 last year). Bargain-price or not, there is simply too much cost-cutting going on in the color-selection buisness (and Kia is not alone). And for the best of the color choices...White Pearl....you have to fork over another $200. However, like I said a minute ago, you can't fault the paint job itself.

The sheet metal and exterior hardware is also quite good, with a solid feel, solid door, hood, and trunk closings, and smooth, solid, slick-swiveling outside mirrors. The exterior chrome finishes are first-rate, the trim is all solidly attached and well-done, and nothing outside feels like it was taken from a bargain-basement sale. I notice this consistantly, over and over again, especially in the outside mirrors. With a few exceptions like the cheaply done new Toyota Tundra and the superb new Cadillac CTS, in most cases, European and Asian-designed cars simply clobber our American-nameplate vehicles in the quality of their hardware and fit/finish. American-company CEO's won't admit it, but the proof is in the pudding. Ford, though, to its credit, is showing some recent improvement in the exterior sheet metal they use.

Anyhow, back to the Amanti. The one poorly-done thing on the outside, IMO, is the poor finish on the wiper arms. By Federal law, they have to be flat-black to reduce glare from sun reflections....but many automakers manage to make it look good anyway. The flat-black paint that Kia uses, though, is awful-looking...........it looks (and feels) like it has already been exposed to the weather for ten years while still brand-new sitting right on the lot.

Open the (properly) strut-supported hood, and the whole underhood compartment looks like it was designed by a clown....one of the car's worst features. The 3.8L V6 actually fits in cross-ways (transversely), as do most FWD layouts, but Kia has not only jammed the engine in with a shoe horn, but, like a couple of Hyundai designs, screwed the huge plastic top-engine cover on in a way that not only blocks access to many things but is deliberately right-angle to the engine itself, to try and make it look like a traditional fore-aft (longitudional) engine layout. The salesman didn't notice that until I pointed that out to him, then scratched his head and said "you're right." This is one of the silliest things I've ever seen in auto design. The basic dipsticks and fluid-reserviors, however (but not much else), are accessable from above.

Go around to the back and things are a lot nicer. Open the Lincoln/Jaguar inspired trunk lid, and a nice, BIG, roomy trunk awaits you, although the two wheel wells intrude a little on each side. The trunk is nicely finished, with high-quality (for a trunk) carpet on the floor, sides, and even a thick insulation cover on the inside trunk lid itself to help ward off rear road noise.....and it works (more on that later). The compact dummy spare tire, however, is a disappointment....one expects a regular spare tire and wheel in a top-line flagship.

Get inside, and you can see, from the generally pleasant interior, that Kia did a lot of work on the old Amanti cabin. Though cloth is standard, my test car had the beige leather seats.....the leather looked, felt, and smelled nice, but sitting on its super-slick, slippery surface was like sitting on glare ice.....you were back and forth all over the seat cushion until you got yourself firmly belted in. Fortunately, the belt reel-out mechanism was one of the best I've ever seen, with its right-there location, slickness, and buttery-smooth operation. It felt like pulling a Teflon-coated belt out through a freshly greased slot. There was plenty of legroom both front and rear, especially with the power-adjustable pedals (it's a shame that Kia decided, for 2008, to restrict that option to the more-expensive Premium Package with the black leather). The steering wheel lacked power controls but had a nice, convienent, solid-feeling tilt-lever....no telescoping, but withthe power-pedals, that is not as important. The power-seat controls were an almost carbon copy of the Mercedes-style miniature-seat ***** on the door panel (a design I have always liked). All of the interior *****, switches, buttons and levers were first-rate, with a solid feel, slick operation, and easy-to-read markings. The stereo and dual climate controls were especially easy and pleasant to use, and the Infiniti 9-speaker stereo that came with the leather package was borderline first-rate, though distinctly less impressive than the class-leading Lexus Mark Levinson units. The steering wheel was well-designed, with nice, comfortable, smoothly-stitched leather, whose stitchings did not press sharply into your fingers.....this in contrast to the awful steering wheel and stitching in the Acura MDX. The gauges were clear, functional, and attractive, with Honda-style blue rings, white letters, red pointers, black faces, and white markings. The only negative things I found inside (besides the slippery leather seats) were cheap-looking painted-silver door handles, cheap-looking gray paint on the console, and not quite as much headroom as my 6'2" frame and baseball cap needed under the optional sunroof, even with the power-seat adjusted all the way down. Different-color fake wood trim, as in many other vehicles, comes with the beige, gray, and black interiors.

Start it up with a conventional key and dash-mounted ignition switch, and the ubiquitous 3.8L V6 springs to life and settles down to idle. Hyundai/Kia has never been known for being in the forefront of powertrain design, efficiency, or refinement, but this V6 is reasonably smoth, quiet, and refined.....a noticeable improvement over past designs, if not Lexus-smooth or quiet. EPA mileage numbers, while not best-in-class, are a reasonable 17/24. Place the slick, smooth transmission lever in Drive and take off. The 3.8, while not a Friday night drag racer, has a good wide torque band, and you get good enough power at low enough RPM to press you back in your seat without having to go to enormous RPM levels like some Honda engines. This car will get out of its own way if it has to....the acceleration is not disappointing at all.

The five-speed automatic was generally smooth and quiet, but with an obvious gearing (another pun intended), even with the automanual Sportshift, towards cruising and smooth operation rather than firm, high-performance shifting, not surprising when you consider the primary reason the car was designed....comfort. As I stated earlier,the shifter was smooth, solid, slick, and appeared to be (again, not surprising) the same shifter and housing that is in the Hyundai Azera.

Brakes are a relative weak point. Though adequate, they have a marked sponginess at first, without a firm pedal response in the first inch of travel or so. This is, of course, a nose-heavy FWD layout, with a fairly heavy engine up front, so that and the soft suspension also allows some forward weight transfer and nose dive on heavy braking, though the amount of nose dive is not as severe as the even more softly-sprung previous-generation Amanti. The brake and gas pedals, fortunately, do not cause any hang-ups with big feet like mine under either pedal, as happens with some vehicles.

The car was well-sealed when it came to road and wind noise, better then its brother Hyundai Azera. The Azera has noticeable tire noise, especially from the rear wheels.....the Amanti, almost none. This confirms some of what the few auto press write-ups on this car have said, and its lower noise level than the Azera. Whether it is better sound insulation on the Amanti or simply the result of different tires on the two cars installed at the factory is unclear.....different tire treads, of course, can affect road noise levels. A couple of very minor creaks, however, surfaced here and there from the dash and the less-than-Mercedes/Volvo solidness of the underlying body structure, but it was not bad at all.....in fact, you really had to strain to hear them.

I've saved the suspension/steering until last because it is probably the car's most improved........and most controversial........feature. I mentioned, in the first section, how the previous car handled like your great-grandfathers's Buick, and plowed straight ahead and rolled like a puppy playing dead at any kind of sudden or significant steering input. Even guys like me, who like smooth rides and are willing, in return, to accept less steering response in return were put off by this kind of handling behavior....I considered it not only unacceptable but borderline hazardous in an emergency. Only the stability control (on cars so equipped) kept things from getting way out of hand on sharp corners. One can argue, with some validity, that you should know your vehicle well enough to not be driving past its limits on sharp curves and be keeping your speed down, but, in truth, you sometimes run into situations, particularly on strange mountain or small country roads, where you suddenly and unexpectantly run into a decreasing-radius or sharper-than-expected curve. You don't expect a borderline luxury sedan to be a Honda S2000, but it should at least have acceptably good handling under those conditions to keep you out of the ditch or from going through a guard rail over a cliff. The previous Amanti, IMO, didn't. The new Amanti, fortunately, is much better in this area, though it is still a long way from BMW-type steering and handling, and is clearly not a car for sport-sedan buffs. The standard Amati has 16" 60-series tires which, by today's standards, are biased toward ride comfort, with 17" 55-series as options, which my test car had. But more importantly, the power steering system and the suspension has been heavily reworked from the last-generation car, with more road feel, new anti-roll bars front and rear, and revised double-wishbone suspension in front and multi-link in the rear. The effect is striking. The new car rides acceptably smooth for people like me, yet, while no Porsche, is far better on a twisting road than the old car was. It also has noticeably quicker steering response besides less roll. But the new suspension, combined with the nose-heaviness of the FWD layout and the large, heavy engine, still allows some nose-dive with strong braking and, despite the nose-heaviness, some nose-up squat on heavy acceleration. BMW fans will not be impressed, but others will appreciate what improvements in the handling there are. Perhaps that is one of the reason the old car did not sell better...if so, Kia has done a fine job addressing that problem.

The verdict?

In retrospect, the old car was quite a bargain in the marketplace, despite the ungainly handling, and the new car remains even more so. Not only the suspension, but interior trim quality, body sheet metal, hardware, and trim have all been markedly improved. The car is roomy inside and comfortable for all but the tallest people.It rides quietly, has a roomy, well-finished trunk for carrying things, and, of course, has the superb Hyundai/Kia warranty. The V6 is torquey and smooth across a wide RPM range so you don't have to rev the engine for power, the transmission is smooth and a pleasure to shift manually, and it has a nice, generally high-quality interior. But Hyundai also still needs to work on a few things. The clown-designed engine compartment needs a through overhaul, the wiper arms could use some flat paint that doesn't look ten years old, the leather seats need a better-friction grip instead of their glare-ice-like surfaces (if I owned this car I would either get the cloth seats or put on a set of sheepskin seat covers), the brakes could use a little more firmness in the pedal, and the body structure could use just a hair more stiffness. And is a real spare tire too much to ask? Other than that the car is fine, and makes a nice way to spend 26-32K, especially for those who don't care for the me-too-ism of everybody else driving Camrys, Avalons, Accords, Acura TL's, etc.......and, while, of course, styling is a matter of personal taste, I found the Amanti's looks to be classy, handsome, and appealing.

But the car's relative obscurity in the American market, and the currently low demand for it, both new and used, could affect its resale value by giving it a rather high depreciation rate and a low residual value. That would generally make it a better car to buy instead of lease because lease rates are determined, primarily (among other things), on the car's projected residual value......generally, the lower the residual value, the higher the lease rate and monthly payment.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-16-07 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-17-07, 05:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I just wonder out of curiosity: Has anyone else on CL driven the 2007 or 2008 and agree with my assessment of the suspension and steering improvements? (I won't hold my breath, because I know this car is not popular).
Old 11-17-07, 07:05 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I can't really tell you if the suspension improved, even if I drove the new amanti because I never even driven a Kia

But at that price point, most people will be looking at Camrys and Accords. Hardly will anyone look at the Amanti. I'm willing to bet most people didn't know Kia offered a car in this price range.
Old 11-17-07, 07:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
I can't really tell you if the suspension improved, even if I drove the new amanti because I never even driven a Kia

But at that price point, most people will be looking at Camrys and Accords. Hardly will anyone look at the Amanti. I'm willing to bet most people didn't know Kia offered a car in this price range.
Exactly. That's why it is such a good deal, new or used.....lack of demand.

However, if you buy one new, you'll save money up front, but probably won't get much for a trade-in when the time comes....I noted that in the "MINUSES" column. And sports-sedan people will probably not be interested in this car, period.

But, as word gets out that the new Camrys are not as well-built as in the past, more people may start looking at alternatives, although the Amanti, while selling at Camry prices, is actually more of a competitior to the Avalon in size and features.
Old 11-17-07, 07:46 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

In its current form, I don't think the Amanti is any threat to Camry sales.

If it ever gets a complete redesign, maybe. In October, Kia sold 202 Amanti's and Toyota sold 33,728 Camry's!

At this rate, the current Amanti might not be long for this world. If they keep it, I'd look for Hyundai/Kia to make big changes to the car.
Old 11-17-07, 07:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In its current form, I don't think the Amanti is any threat to Camry sales.

If it ever gets a complete redesign, maybe. In October, Kia sold 202 Amanti's and Toyota sold 33,728 Camry's!

At this rate, the current Amanti might not be long for this world. If they keep it, I'd look for Hyundai/Kia to make big changes to the car.
They've already made ONE big change..........probably the one the car needed most.

I know the car isn't popular....the sales figures you quote prove that. That was the main reason why, contrary to my ususal procedure, I decided to do a review on it without a specific CL request.............the car has not only been neglected in the marketplace but, for the most part, in the automotive press as well, although like I said, the Washington Post's Warren Brown did a write-up on one a few weeks ago.
Old 11-17-07, 07:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I agree the new styling is an improvement. The previous car looked like something Russian and N. Korean presidents rode around in in the 60's and 70's.

I'm sure Kia/Hyundai will correct things or come out with something better.
Old 11-17-07, 09:30 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How does the ride softness compare to a Lexus LS430/460? Also, how quiet is it at speed in comparison?

Great review, by the way! Hyundai/Kia does make excellent vehicles. It's a shame nobody knows it.
Old 11-17-07, 10:36 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The one thing I LOVE about that car is the front turn signal with the really bright strip of LED. I wonder how reliable they are?
Old 11-18-07, 01:59 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i prefer the look of hyundai azera better
i would pick the azera over the amanti for sure
Old 11-18-07, 02:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
How does the ride softness compare to a Lexus LS430/460? Also, how quiet is it at speed in comparison?

Great review, by the way! Hyundai/Kia does make excellent vehicles. It's a shame nobody knows it.
Thanks.

The Amanti's wind noise level is quite low.....road and tire noise not bad either, and only slightly more audible, mostly from the rear wheels.

The new Amanti rides just slightly stiffer than the last Amanti did, but handles much better....the chassis engineers earned their pay with this new car. The level of understeer and body roll is MUCH lower than on the last model, which, IMO, was borderline dangerous on twisty roads. Plus, the test car I had also had stability control (an option) to further help keep things from getting out of hand.

Compared to the LS430/460, the actual ride softness is more or less the same, though the 460, of course, is slightly stiffer than its own predecessor 430 because of the new, lower-profile tires on the 460. But, as good as the new Amanti is, the noise level of both the 430 and the 460 trumps the Amanti by a wide margin....as you would expect from a top-line luxury car costing almost two and a half times as much. The interior of an LS, even at speed, is like King Tut's tomb....you can hear a fly walking across the front seat. The LS, of course, has long been the benchmark for noise control in a mass-procuced car.
Old 11-18-07, 02:25 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mmarshall, could you review Azera next?
or maybe the new accord?
or altima coupe?
Old 11-18-07, 02:34 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

All opinions are personal but in mine that has to be one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. The front and back were obviously designed by two different styling teams and mashed together at production. It like they had a brainstorming session where people were asked to volunteer parts of other cars they liked and then the whole lot was stuck together. I suspect the reason it's not popular is because most people take one look at then look elsewhere. Good review though and a bargain for the visually impaired.
Old 11-18-07, 02:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UberNoob
mmarshall, could you review Azera next?
or maybe the new accord?
or altima coupe?

I have already done, by previous CL request, all three of these.

Azera: already done, early last year (1-06), although back then my reviews weren't as lengthy or comprehensive as they are now:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+hyundai+azera

2008 Accord V6 EX-L Coupe: Did it about a month ago. The coupe is somewhat sportier and more driver-centered than the sedan.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...a+accord+coupe

2008 Altima Coupe: Ditto.....reviewed it just a couple of weeks ago. Like the Accord, the Altima coupe is much sportier and more driver-centered than the sedan. It is roughly a FWD version of the RWD 350Z/Infiniti G35 Coupe platform.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...8+altima+coupe