Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So I'm at Linens and Things and this guy parks like this...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-07, 10:23 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
...If you care so much about dings like he does, you've established the intended purpose of your car: never to get dinged up. Seems obvious the simple solution is not to use that car for purposes where you'll need to leave it in parking lots. It's really not that hard.
WOW, Gen. Because I don't want a door ding, and I avoid parking next to other cars if possible, you have leaped to the conclusion that because I'm a ding-avoider, that I just not park in a parking lot at all, and take another car that I don't mind getting dinged...so that I can park close and fulfill the car's intended purpose?

Oh my, I've heard it all now.

It seems to me that your friend's Ferrari is a track/show car. So THAT's the intended purpose of his car.

My car is a daily driver. THAT'S the intended purpose of my car.

But part of its intended purpose is accident avoidance (big and small)...and I hope this is EVERYone's primary intended purpose when they're driving. But it's not.

For me, a ding is just an accident...of the small, annoying-type. And like ALL accidents, it's AVOIDABLE. And I can avoid them by taking extra precaution.

So I do. And when I do, it has no effect on anyone else because I'm at a location that affects no one, except those that choose to be offended (Mike! lol).

But rest assured, you'll see ANY car I care about parked in the back of the lot, taking up two spaces...sometimes three when the lot is really empty, and I'm really in ding-avoidance mode.

I'm sure Mike will get a picture one day, and then I'll be on the 'Net, which someone will assume was my intended purpose all along.

Last edited by KevinGS; 12-07-07 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-07-07, 10:47 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
WOW, Gen. Because I don't want a door ding, and I avoid parking next to other cars if possible, you have leaped to the conclusion that because I'm a ding-avoider, that I just not park in a parking lot at all, and take another car that I don't mind getting dinged...so that I can park close and fulfill the car's intended purpose?

Oh my, I've heard it all now.

Hec, I don't like getting in accidents either, and I'm typically pretty damn careful when driving to avoid them...so I guess if I am so worried about it, and since I KNOW there hundreds of idiots on the road, I should just avoid driving the car altogether, since I'm going against the car's intended purpose of accident avoidance.
Well you're just parroting yourself for the most part here, but taking another car to avoid getting dings is exactly the point. Obviously you care too much about a certain car getting any type of physical imperfection to park it in a public parking lot. So why on earth are you using it for something where you'll have to park in a public parking lot? Seems to be the easy solution.

And your accident comparison is really arguing for my point. As I said, the bottom line is that it's a fact of life, just like accidents are. Stupid and careless people can be blamed for both. If you park in a parking lot enough, you're going get dinged. If you drive on public roads enough, you're going to get in an accident at some point. If it is unacceptable to get dings or to get in an accident, don't park in public places and don't drive on public roads. When it comes down to it, it's really that simple. If you feel the need to park illegally to avoid dings or, to compare to your analogy, drive illegally to avoid an accident (I'm not sure how that would work), or just generally go way out of your way to do either, it's demonstrating that you are being unreasonable with your vehicle choice as far as what you want to do with it.

This is going nowhere fast, Gen, so I'll let it go. We'll agree to disagree.
I dunno, based on your comparison to accidents, it seems you agree with me 100%.
Old 12-07-07, 11:43 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Like this guy who took up two spaces when I was shopping at the mall. He should park his vehicle straight and allow others an opportunity to park closer to the mall.

I think he mistook white for blue. He's one spot too far
Old 12-07-07, 01:33 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only time I take up 2 spots is when I'm driving my fathers F350 Crew cab dualie. Even then Im usually parked way in the back at home depot as a courtesy to other people.
Old 12-07-07, 06:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
Whats even more irritating is that some of the owners of these cars might even see him taking pictures of their cars.

I could just imagine..."Some guy with a Lexus was totally checking out my Civic. He was taking pictures of it left and right. Probably wishes he had my ride."

The same people who park like that are the same people that think this way.

I for one wouldn't give those people the time of day, let alone take pictures of their cars.
Well have yourself a cookie then. You mad doggie?
We live in the DIGITAL age, if you haven't noticed. People take pics of EVERYTHING and tons end up on the internet.

There are probably people taking pics of a Lexus somewhere parked in two spaces.

We can change your name if you would like to keep your same password. We have that capability. Thanks.

Old 12-07-07, 06:46 PM
LexFather

I'm sure Mike will get a picture one day, and then I'll be on the 'Net, which someone will assume was my intended purpose all along.
I'm thinking video of an argument then post up here. Or we'll race for who is right.

Old 12-07-07, 11:00 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Never understood why ppl would do this. Thats how you actually get your car keyed!!!
Old 12-08-07, 05:43 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Inabj2
that would get your car keyed here.
I think parking like this will get your car keyed anywhere. Hell, I always parked my old car within the lines and I still got keyed.

If the owner of that car truly cares about his car and doesn't want to get dinged or such, he really should park all the way at the far end of the parking lot, not upfront like that.
Old 12-08-07, 06:43 AM
Gunnut
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It shouldn't, though.

People park like that for a reason...often a good one. They are trying to take good care of their cars (which too many people DON'T do), so if I saw that, I would respect their efforts.......the LAST thing I would want to do is take out a key, scratch their car, and not only ruin their efforts but break the law as well by committing vandalism.
If you want to take up extra spaces to keep you car from getting dinged, then park at the outer edges of the lot and WALK. Don't take up the close in spaces like this.
It's called courtesy.

JimA
Old 12-08-07, 04:45 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well have yourself a cookie then. You mad doggie?
What's there for me to be mad at (doggie?)?

We live in the DIGITAL age, if you haven't noticed. People take pics of EVERYTHING and tons end up on the internet.
Yes, Bub, we do live in the digital age. Unfortunately, you've chosen to utilize it by obsessing over Honda's. Hey, whatever floats your boat.

There are probably people taking pics of a Lexus somewhere parked in two spaces.
Doubt it. I don't think many people have the "passion" that you do.

We can change your name if you would like to keep your same password.
So you chose to spend your Friday night by looking up what I have set as my password for my CL user name? Wow. Don't know what to say but MORE POWER TO YOU! Do you check what everyone on this forum has set as their password or did you just decide to single me out? Pretty desperate. If anything, the password that I have set goes to show just how true my user name is. FYI, I used to own one before my SC replaced it. But why don't you go ahead and check my password again right now. You'll find it to be something that you are more familiar with.

We have that capability.
Like I said, more power to you.

Thanks.
Your welcome?
Old 12-08-07, 05:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
What's there for me to be mad at (doggie?)?

B/C IMO, you are mad. You sit there on your computer dying to pick apart anything I post. Maybe I dated a lady friend of yours, I am not sure what the obsession is!

Yes, Bub, we do live in the digital age. Unfortunately, you've chosen to utilize it by obsessing over Honda's. Hey, whatever floats your boat.

No, what I have done is post pics of the CARS I have SEEN recently parked in two spaces. It is not my fault they are HONDAs. However, continue to defend them to no avail. Maybe you missed the Yukon/Tahoe I posted?

Doubt it. I don't think many people have the "passion" that you do.

So you chose to spend your Friday night by looking up what I have set as my password for my CL user name? Wow. Don't know what to say but MORE POWER TO YOU! Do you check what everyone on this forum has set as their password or did you just decide to single me out? Pretty desperate. If anything, the password that I have set goes to show just how true my user name is. FYI, I used to own one before my SC replaced it. But why don't you go ahead and check my password again right now. You'll find it to be something that you are more familiar with.

Nope, I would never check on your password, nor have the capability. I am suggesting a name change, as your posts are more than biased. That is all.

:
I'm going out, I'll be sure to take pics again!

Old 12-08-07, 06:06 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

OKAY!
Old 12-09-07, 09:28 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It shouldn't, though.

People park like that for a reason...often a good one. They are trying to take good care of their cars (which too many people DON'T do), so if I saw that, I would respect their efforts.......the LAST thing I would want to do is take out a key, scratch their car, and not only ruin their efforts but break the law as well by committing vandalism.
Exactly! More power to em!

That's a risk he/she takes... whatever, that's on them.

I double-park very often and have for years! And I will continue to do so. My hard earned cake is not for some inconsiderate piece of trash to park their 85' Suburban next to me and their 4 kids come blasting out the doors and deface my chariot. F that!
PLUS... these dumbasz places in an effort to cram in as many consumers as possible, make spots big enuff only for bikes or those cars you see in the Wii commercial!
Here's my rule for parking:

Next to a median or curve or handicap (and that depends on the traffic: Wal-Mart? hell no!) NEVER between two vehicles!
Otherwise I'm out in BFE double-parked! Tripple-parked is a tad over the top.... And I don't get all fancy sideways... I just whip in right over the line straight. I've never had any probs whatsoever.
Old 01-29-08, 09:47 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Ahhhh, this gem happened today, parked behind me....and guess what they drive

Old 01-29-08, 11:30 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Ahhhh, this gem happened today, parked behind me....and guess what they drive

1) those lines are faded to be almost meaningless
2) parking on the side like that is almost always determined by the available space in front/behind you.
3) seeing as how much space is behind your car, I'd love to see a picture of the front of YOUR car. Seems like hes more respectful of putting space between you, than you are of the guy in front of you.
4) is that a hint of prejudice?

Quick Reply: So I'm at Linens and Things and this guy parks like this...