Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

And You Thought This Only Happened in Florida.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-07, 05:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default And You Thought This Only Happened in Florida.

A 73-year old woman lost control of her GMC Envoy on snow in Alaska and plowed into the very salon she was going to....and then got her hair done.

:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21842567/?GT1=10547

Shows you what I always said......that even 4WD/AWD won't save you in bad weather if you are a poor or inattentive driver.

There's been a lot of debate lately about whether or not illegal immigrants should have licenses. Perhaps we should also spend some time on the question of whether some of those, like this woman, who apparantly is a legal resident, should also have a license or not.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-18-07 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-18-07, 05:54 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4wd/awd is such a BS option, it is such a false sense of security, most people can't drive and when they see a 4wd/awd they think they are suddenly the professional drivers in the commercials and to add to the BS I can't buy a freaking M35 with rwd cause I live in the northeast so I have to fly to Georgia to get it, really undecided if I should just get the X or just work the salesman over and get the M45

Illegal Immigrants should have some form of US ID, tag them so that when something does happen they can't vanish, and driving, whoever has insurance for uninsured drivers is paying for all the immigrants who drive without a license, the US is built on Immigrants, why do they keep making it harder to become a citizen, all BS.

We need better driving standards cause speeding tickets on our nations highways especially when the road is empty is nothing more then funding our police departments and insurance companies, everyday I see people who simply can't drive and should not be driving.
Old 11-18-07, 05:56 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

No offense against the elderly but some of them should not be driving and be made to take mandatory driving tests yearly. I've seen many accidents and close calls. I almost got T boned by an older gentleman in an Escalade who ran the light, he drove right through like it wasn't there, he didn't slam the brakes or anything.
Old 11-18-07, 06:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EDGE2
We need better driving standards cause speeding tickets on our nations highways especially when the road is empty is nothing more then funding our police departments and insurance companies, everyday I see people who simply can't drive and should not be driving.
Though speeding is hazardous, and at least some of the tickets are justified (they're not all necessarily just revenue for revenue's sake), the #1 problem, far and away, is yakking on cell phones...........nothing else, from what I have seen, even comes close, even grandpa/grandma drivers. Whether this woman was on a cell phone or not, the article doesn't say.........but we know she either had, or was making, an appointment at the place for her hair.
Old 11-18-07, 06:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cherplex
No offense against the elderly but some of them should not be driving and be made to take mandatory driving tests yearly. I've seen many accidents and close calls. I almost got T boned by an older gentleman in an Escalade who ran the light, he drove right through like it wasn't there, he didn't slam the brakes or anything.
Had the light just turned red, or had it been that way for a significant amount of time? Sometimes people misjudge the timing on a yellow light, try to get through at the last second, and end up hitting it just as it turns red. I did that myself once and got zapped by a camera.....$50.
Old 11-18-07, 06:28 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though speeding is hazardous, and at least some of the tickets are justified (they're not all necessarily just revenue for revenue's sake), the #1 problem, far and away, is yakking on cell phones...........nothing else, from what I have seen, even comes close, even grandpa/grandma drivers. Whether this woman was on a cell phone or not, the article doesn't say.........but we know she either had, or was making, an appointment at the place for her hair.
It's a complicated subject but when the highway is empty in the middle of the night moving along at 80-90 would be nice, especially knowing that you can legally do it, same scenario but add drinking your a responsible adult that goes out and has 1 or 2 drinks, a couple hours later you need to drive home but your freaking out cause of a drink you had 3 hours ago, and your only 5-10 minutes from home.

Morons of America are destroying this country and the everyday people are paying for the few who don't have a brain, are system is setup to constantly drain the hard working individual that are honestly trying to get ahead, and are politicians do nothing they say once they get in office.