Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motortrend car of the year embargo!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07, 07:06 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

CTS is how all american cars need to be like
Old 11-19-07, 08:06 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is '03 when they opened the field up to non-American makes?
Old 11-19-07, 08:13 PM
nn432100
Lead Lap

Congrats to Cadillac!
Old 11-19-07, 08:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Is '03 when they opened the field up to non-American makes?
Until 1999, the award was only eligible to American-made cars; imports had their own category, the Import of the Year. The rationale for the combination was explained by editor Angus Mackenzie as "because it's so hard to say that, for example, a Toyota Camry, built in Kentucky and designed in California, is less American than a Ford that may have been built in Canada or Mexico and designed in Europe." Since the combination of the awards, American cars and imports have each won the award four times. Most cars who win the award report a spike in sales because of how they were judged to be the best: however, getting "The Calipers" is no guarantee of success, best shown by the nostalgic Ford Thunderbird, which was awarded the prize in 2002 to wide acclaim, but pulled from the market two years later due to criticism of its performance and surprisingly low sales.

Old 11-19-07, 08:30 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Until 1999, the award was only eligible to American-made cars; imports had their own category, the Import of the Year. The rationale for the combination was explained by editor Angus Mackenzie as "because it's so hard to say that, for example, a Toyota Camry, built in Kentucky and designed in California, is less American than a Ford that may have been built in Canada or Mexico and designed in Europe." Since the combination of the awards, American cars and imports have each won the award four times. Most cars who win the award report a spike in sales because of how they were judged to be the best: however, getting "The Calipers" is no guarantee of success, best shown by the nostalgic Ford Thunderbird, which was awarded the prize in 2002 to wide acclaim, but pulled from the market two years later due to criticism of its performance and surprisingly low sales.
2008 Cadillac CTS
fine

2005 Chrysler 300C
fine

2002 Ford Thunderbird
fine

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser
huh?

2000 Lincoln LS
what?

1999 Chrysler 300M
why?

1998 Chevrolet Corvette
fine
Old 11-19-07, 09:36 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually saw the car in person for the first time and had a chance to sit in it at the LA Autoshow. Man, it's a pretty nice car. I would definitely consider it if I were in the market for a 4 door.

Cadillac is finally listening.
Old 11-20-07, 03:50 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

its a fine car- only thing i dont like is how american companies only need to build something competitive to be 'better', the japanese have to thoroughly beat both the americans and germans for less money to be 'better'

personally i dont think the cts is as good as the infiniti m, lexus gs, 5 series, etc. it is competitive with the G/ES/etc though, and a new & welcome entry at that. but i wouldnt say its easily ahead of everything in its class. i do agree though, compared to other cars on the list, this one is the one to pick for car of the year.
Old 11-20-07, 05:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't always agree with Motor Trend (IMO it is not one of the better auto magazines), but I have to agree with this one. The Definition of Motor Trend's COTY award is not necessarily what will be the most reliable or dependable mechanically, but what they consider the most significant new car design in the marketplace. The CTS, without question, fits that role this year. It is en enormous jump over the previous car in both content, fit-and-finish, interior plushness, and even the performance of the non-V vserions (and we have yet to see the new V-version). I recently reviewed 2 versions of the new CTS 3.6 (with a little help on the specs from Threxx) and was quite pleased with both, though I personally liked the more softly-sprung version a little more. The only real problems with this car that I can forsee right now (unless some presently hidden quality defect shows up later), is demand outrunning supply, making discounts and good deals hard to get, and the complexity of the car's package, suspension and tire options. They can be confusing, and you have to look carefully at exactly what you are getting.

Just for the record, my choice for Runner-Up Car of the Year this year would be the Infiniti G37..........and Honorable Mentions would go to the Lexus IS-F, Nissan Skyline GT-R, Honda Accord Coupe V6, and Buick Enclave (though the Enclave, of course, is a borderline car/truck)

I think next year, though, if gas prices keeps climbing, the most significant new vehicles are going to be either new economy-oriented hybrids or alternate-fuel vehicles....cars like the upcoming fuel-cell Honda FCX.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-20-07 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-20-07, 09:02 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the caddy really deserved this its a great car.
Old 11-20-07, 12:07 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Much deserved. Drive them and you will realize how good these cars are to drive. Caddy's are becoming America's ultimate driving machine. The CTS series is truly going to blow enthusiasts minds when this drops

Exclusive spy vid of the 09 CTS-V on the Ring. Vette Z06 motor is in this beast

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=121300
Old 11-20-07, 05:05 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, I had a chance to drive the 2008 CTS base model as a rental with only 140 miles on it and I was quite impressed. The stitched leather (or pleather) dash top, the nice brush metal, fine fit and finish inside and enough leg room out back for a 6'er easily. I really did not think or feel that the car was in the same class as the GS/M/5 series range, I thought it was more a big IS/G/3 series car. With that, after finding that it was $32K base, but skyrockets to $52K+ for a fully loaded baby... then it was like, yes, the fit and finish, interior and everything was top notch, but for the SAME money, I'll take an IS/GS based on reliability and track record. If the CTS comes through next two or three years with no "big" issues, then I just might get it after year four or so, when all the hoopla dies down.
Old 11-23-07, 01:04 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Hey, I had a chance to drive the 2008 CTS base model as a rental with only 140 miles on it and I was quite impressed. The stitched leather (or pleather) dash top, the nice brush metal, fine fit and finish inside and enough leg room out back for a 6'er easily. I really did not think or feel that the car was in the same class as the GS/M/5 series range, I thought it was more a big IS/G/3 series car. With that, after finding that it was $32K base, but skyrockets to $52K+ for a fully loaded baby... then it was like, yes, the fit and finish, interior and everything was top notch, but for the SAME money, I'll take an IS/GS based on reliability and track record. If the CTS comes through next two or three years with no "big" issues, then I just might get it after year four or so, when all the hoopla dies down.
Not sure where the 52k+ price comes from? Caddy says they list with the 304hp engine, awd, nav, upscale stereo etc. etc. for $45,605. http://www.cadillac.com/byo/buildSum...abSizeLength=0

Last edited by jaydunn; 11-23-07 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-23-07, 06:20 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Yup, as mmarshall said the only reason the CTS got the award is because of the underdog factor. Had Lexus put out this car it would have been panned and then ignored. Props to Caddy, but now they have to live up to the hype and put some other cars in the lineup that actually make people want to go to one of their dealerships.
Old 11-23-07, 08:28 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The CTS is a result of the type of effort that GM should put in EVERY vehicle. Unfortunately we're not seeing that. Naturally though, Cadillac is going to lead the way and hopefully GM's future shows continued improvement.
Old 02-06-08, 09:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Its a GM product. They are going to have to do decades of these types of cars for me to ever consider driving an american car. One car of the year and everyone is acting like GM has had there act together for years.Only time will tell. They are going to have to earn the respect back from consumers. And its going to have to be done over a long period of time.

Quick Reply: Motortrend car of the year embargo!