Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

does anyone know...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07 | 03:41 PM
duhst
Rookie

Default does anyone know...

does anyone know if the 2007 camry CE has HID'S? it has ballasts but i cant tell if the bulbs are Xenon. please let me know if you know or where i could maybe find out, im trying to get my girlfriend some HID's but i dont wanna buy a whole kit if i only need to get new bulbs..
thanks guys!!

-Duhst
Old 11-19-07 | 04:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

this might sound stupid, but why would toyota put a ballast there if there is no hid? hid plugs and halogen plugs are completely different... i doubt toyota would just put ballasts there "regardless", that's not a "cheap" item by all means
Old 11-19-07 | 04:53 PM
harut44
Driver

Originally Posted by duhst
does anyone know if the 2007 camry CE has HID'S? it has ballasts but i cant tell if the bulbs are Xenon. please let me know if you know or where i could maybe find out, im trying to get my girlfriend some HID's but i dont wanna buy a whole kit if i only need to get new bulbs..
thanks guys!!

-Duhst
Duhst,

No, they don't have HID's nor do they have ballasts. They just have a H11 bulb and a projector housing which you MAY think is the HID but it is not. It does give a slight blue cutoff which can also confuse some people.
Old 11-19-07 | 05:45 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by harut44
Duhst,

No, they don't have HID's nor do they have ballasts. They just have a H11 bulb and a projector housing which you MAY think is the HID but it is not. It does give a slight blue cutoff which can also confuse some people.
Exact-a-moondo.
Old 11-19-07 | 10:30 PM
duhst
Rookie

Originally Posted by harut44
Duhst,

hahah that answered me pretty good man thanks a lot, i was wondering why it had a lil blue in it from different angles, then i looked at the bulbs and it was just a reg bulb.

so question number 2!

wheres a good place to get some decent HID's because my chick is just about as blind as a bat

thanks!
Old 11-19-07 | 10:33 PM
GS3Tek

hahah that answered me pretty good man thanks a lot, i was wondering why it had a lil blue in it from different angles, then i looked at the bulbs and it was just a reg bulb.

so question number 2!

wheres a good place to get some decent HID's because my chick is just about as blind as a bat

thanks!
Check with xenondepot.com and order an H11 hid kit.
I have one for the gx (H11 also) and love it
Old 11-19-07 | 10:34 PM
duhst
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Check with xenondepot.com and order an H11 hid kit.
I have one for the gx (H11 also) and love it
what k did you get? my chick likes that bluest purplest color. 8k?
Old 11-19-07 | 10:43 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Had 8000K, not bad, but it's supposed to be best to have 4300K, which is usually the OEM color. Also it's best to retrofit HID projectors if she's blind as a bat. It's not a car for attention catching, best to stick to stockish, since if it's bluishpurple, it'll also catch the cop's attention.
Old 11-19-07 | 10:45 PM
duhst
Rookie

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
Had 8000K, not bad, but it's supposed to be best to have 4300K, which is usually the OEM color. Also it's best to retrofit HID projectors if she's blind as a bat. It's not a car for attention catching, best to stick to stockish, since if it's bluishpurple, it'll also catch the cop's attention.
can cops give you crap for HID's? i never heard of that!
Old 11-19-07 | 10:54 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Not sure if Cali cops will, depends on the officer really...

When I lived in Vancouver (Canada), cops at times will pull almost every non stock HID's and give them Vehicle Inspections (1-200bux). Nowadays, I don't know, you may get away if you didn't hit roadblock.

I've used to have 8000K for about a year, aimed low so there's less glare, cops usually don't mind too much, but I haven't hit a roadblock...

But it seems they're less caring now, in Vancouver at least, I don't live in the states, thus I've no idea if it's legal or not, or if the cops cares anymore, but in Canada, it's illegal to open/modify/block/HID your lights.

edit:

*You wouldn't want your girlfriend to get into trouble for what you did, right?*

Thus I suggest if you have to go HID, don't get 8000K+, keep in range of what you see on the road, which for 4300K, it's like halogen, but more white, for 6-8000K, it's like the 99-03ish BMW 3 series....
Old 11-19-07 | 11:03 PM
GS3Tek

I wouldn't go over 6000k, esp. if you don't unwanted attention from the cops

Those fake blue is just stupidly looking and glaring

I have 4300k which is oem temp.

Like what solo mentioned. AFter you put them in, see if the cutoff line is below the lower part of the window to avoid blinding other drivers.
Old 11-20-07 | 08:29 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
in Canada, it's illegal to open/modify/block/HID your lights.
wow.. that'll cover a good chunk of Vancouver lol. There's this one M-Class that has ridiculously blue lights. I swear it's barely useful in the dark.
Old 11-20-07 | 09:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

of course, it's technically illegal. but if you put on 4300k or 6000k i don't think you will have issue
Old 11-20-07 | 10:30 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Great thing about HID retro with 4300k bulbs is that it looks OEM on the car. Cops don't bother with retrofits on Lexus because many of them think they are OEM on cars of these calibers
Old 11-20-07 | 01:53 PM
harut44
Driver

so question number 2!

thanks!

My friend just got a kit off of ebay for about $100 or so. It's not bad at all but he got 6000k for the color. I would suggest getting 4300K for a brighter scenary but it's up to you. I haven't bought an HID kit so I'm not too familiar with them.

Quick Reply: does anyone know...